Scariest Film You Have Ever Seen?

Homer J

At the Start
The first and original Omen film (Gregory Peck) was something which I saw when I was 10yrs old and it haunted me for years.

I saw a film the other day however called The Hills Have Eyes and this is probably the scariest I have seen.

I have another couple on a shortlist and will be interested to hear what others think.

The Evil Dead. It may have been a spoof and a comedy but it scared the bejeesus about of me. So did the first Nightmare on Elm Street.

For creating two worst-nightmare situations with absolutely chilling precision, the original version of The Vanishing.

I thought The Blair Witch Project was scary enough - I nearly died at the end when they were in the old building. I thought it was a very good film and very clever in being so subtle.

it's difficult coz most people get the most scared when theyre young and so a majority of scary films would be ones seen when very young.
Doctor Who scared me to death when a child.
Films : Original Texas Chainsaw Massacre when 11 or 12 years old-thanks dad!!
Recent scare: Dawn Of The Dead remake. The original scared me to death as a kid and this remake was pure evil.

Agree with The Blair Witch project, most scary films just amuse me as you know what's coming all the time.

Blair Witch took a lot of stick but it certainly did the job with me.

I have remembered another - Dettori's ride on Swain in the Breeders Cup - definitely X certificate

Still 'Psycho', particularly the staircase scene where Arbogast, the investigating detective, is stabbed to death at the top by a dragged-up, wig-wearing Antony Perkins. And the 'music', of course - much parodied, but really distinct at the time! Yeee-yeee-yeee!

Our bath had its back to the bathroom door and I bathed, for a full 18 months after the darn film, facing it with my bum very uncomfortably over the plughole! :o

'Blair Witch' was nice - if you knew from the outset that it WASN'T true, it was better. If you didn't, and believed that you were watching a video diary of some desperate lost, confused kids, it would've been unsettling and disturbing. I still want to know the meaning of the very last shot, where the girl's approaching the surviving guy in the wrecked house. Any know?

Earlier in the film you hear talk about how the original Blair Witch, the child murderer made the children stand in the corner facing the wall until she killed them. When Heather walks into the old house you see a brief shot of the last bloke standing in the corner facing the wall, then she is attacked from the side by someone/something unknown

Ovverbruv - you clever little bugger, you! Thanks for that. I've watched the film twice and twice I've missed the bit about them facing the wall. Aha! Now everything is clear...

I think for moments when you just jump out of your skin, 'Alien' was pretty scary. 'Jaws' was hard to beat, too - you imagine that sweet li'l kids a-playin' in the sea will always be saved, because Hollywood never lets nasty things happen to non-adults. WronGGG! :teeth:

I was another one who was scared senseless by Doctor Who as a kid on a saturday evening, i used to have to hide behind the sofa.

As for films i'd agree with Blair Witch for one. Another i remember is one called Black Christmas from way back, it totally did my head in for months. I refused to answer the phone for ages after watching it as it was about a nutter who broke into a girls house and rang her from the phone upstairs whilst hiding in her attic. Proper gave me the willies i can tell you :o

Also the scene in American Werewolf in London where the guy was getting chased on the underground had the old ticker going for a while too.

Gorey effects in films don't tend to scare me it would be more the tense jump out of your pants ones that do.

Originally posted by Epona@Oct 29 2006, 06:28 PM
'It' by Stephen King, the clown is well scary. :o
Hey Epona, wanna come down here and play with me, in hell.

Whenever any of my pals son's voices break, I always call them Pennywise. :lol:

PS Dreadful film.

Nooooooooooooooo! My nightmares are going to return!
Actually I think reading Stephen King's books are more scary than the films. he is one twisted guy!!

Thinking about this list again this morning, I'm surprised no-one's mentioned 'The Shining' as a kecksquitter? Not so much the 'Heeeere's Johnnieeee' moment, but how about the little kid running through the maze of the night-time, snowy garden? Or some of the trippier sequences?

Back