Scotish National

When I first read it I wondered if April Fools Day had come early this year.

Very interesting and by the looks of it next in the weights could be Madison Du Berlais off 10-1,so all the opposition could end up running from out of the handicap.

Very surprising but I guess they really do not want to go right handed with the horse so it rules out alot of places.

The only place for him I suppose. They had ruled out Aintree again and Punchestowns only ever had a squeak at best. Going expected to be in his favour. 5/2 favourite with sponsor.

Haven't looked at how the weights are framed yet, but it is likely to be pretty straightforward for him.

The ground at Ayr is usually good so an easy excuse not to run.

Exactly what I was thinking, Gearoid.

Connections are mad for not wanting to go to Auteuil. He could carry a jockey and an American Fridge, and still win half the track in the GSdP.

11st 12lb - but he's a big lad, he can manage. Some other illustrious names taking part, so why not Denny?

Grassy - brilliant idea. He should love the French obstacles, although I don't know he's ever been over anything like them. But it would be worth sending him over to find out.

Last edited:
Didn't see that coming, even with the Grand National mentioned for next year.

I wanted to see him at Auteuil, too.

Rigmarole was declared for the County Hurdle 2 days after running in the Champion Hurdle only to be declared a non-runner with Ruby Walsh a jockey change to the his stablemate Sporazene. Sorry, wrong thread......

Grassy - brilliant idea. He should love the French obstacles, although I don't know he's ever been over anything like them. But it would be worth sending him over to find out.

He'd carry 11-stone, Kri, and be running off level weights against horses he should be giving the best part of 20lbs to. The obstacles are an unknown, and to be honest, I'm not entirely sure the circuit would be in his favour (layout for the GSdP, like the Jousellin and all the other major staying chases at Auteuil, is much tighter than he'd want, imo), but he should have no bother jumping round. There's also the small matter of the pot being worth around E300,000 to the winner (IIRC), and to me, it seems a more alluring option than Ayr (how about that for stating the bleeding obvious? :blink:).

Unfortunately, Nicholls has been quite derogatory about the state of the ground at Auteuil in the past. It can get very deep, and takes a lot of racing over a year, and I think that may put the kybosh on matters. The only hope is that Findlay and Barber want to run, and can convince Nicholls to prepare him for the race, but I seriously doubt that will happen - despite connections mentioning the race as a possible target in previous seasons.

Bleedin' shame.

Rigmarole was declared for the County Hurdle 2 days after running in the Champion Hurdle only to be declared a non-runner with Ruby Walsh a jockey change to the his stablemate Sporazene. Sorry, wrong thread......

I remember forseeing this and snapping up all the fancy prices about the stablemate ante-post.

Back