Scotish National

In fairness, Nicholls has been by far the only trainer who has been scathing about the state of the ground at Autueil in recent seasons.

Thanks for that insight, Grassy - very interesting. As for the ground at Autueil... you mean what's passed as 'going' in the UK for the past couple of months doesn't warrant ridicule? But, as you say, the pot is certainly worth a tilt at. Even coming 2nd or 3rd would pay the airfares for all concerned, and a night out, I'd imagine!

I´ve stood beside Paul Nicholls twice in the stands at the Ayr National. I can tell you, he gives the impression it´s a race he very much wants to win.

In fairness, Nicholls has been by far the only trainer who has been scathing about the state of the ground at Autueil in recent seasons.

Maybe so, Shadz, but he is also one of the very few trainers in these islands to even mention a race at Auteuil as a possible target.

WP Mullins is the only trainer clever enough to see Auetuil for what it is - a place you can pan for gold with any horse rated 'smart' or better.

I´ve stood beside Paul Nicholls twice in the stands at the Ayr National. I can tell you, he gives the impression it´s a race he very much wants to win.

Or he had his bollocks on whilst telling the racing post readers the 9/4 jolly (from 9/2 in the morning) had gone in its coat and was running against his wishes....

I hope you didn't piss yourself at his antics when Cornish Rebel got chinned which ultimately cost him the trainers championship. I'm afraid I did.

Yes, I remember you were very keen on that old dog. (The horse, not the trainer.)

(I think I had a couple of nice winners that day.)

Rigmarole was declared for the County Hurdle 2 days after running in the Champion Hurdle only to be declared a non-runner with Ruby Walsh a jockey change to the his stablemate Sporazene. Sorry, wrong thread......

Harchibald being in front far too soon however was something Nicholls could not plan ...

I can't see them going through with this

I’d say he had an extremely high chance of taking part in what is the only sensible race left to him this season, given that they want to step him up in trip in preparation for next season’s GN.

He’d be running off an 8lb higher mark than in the Hennessy, but he’d be pushing all but a small handful out of the handicap proper, so most would be running against him on disadvantageous terms. 5/2 looks fair. I’ve taken some.

He'd fly - he has a pilot's licence and will steer his personal LearJet. Unfortunately, KAUTO hasn't even got to grips with his 3 y.o. Fabia...

I'd recommend Eurostar. He could go for little walks during the journey and he'd enjoy the dining car.

Denman out and heading for Ireland, Paul doesn't think 'it will suit him" with the ground getting quicker.

Superior Wisdom to cause a minor shock. Been impressed with his so far over fences and he's got improvement in him even at ten.

Back