Sea the Stars fertility

Kauto

At the Start
I take all this with a massive pinch of salt but alot of rumours abound that all may not be well with the big fella at stud. From what I can gather his first four mares covered haven't been shown to be in foal. I'm not sure if this would be normal or not??? Anyway if it does turn out to be true pretty big news and very disappointing in one way but imagine him back on the track!!!

Probably a load of old rubbish I'm sure these rumours happen with alot of new stallions

Weither it is true or not, I just got onto to a couple of people who would have an idea about it and they heard the same thing - no mares in foal - but just a rumour. Interesting...

I havent heard anything and i know a few people that work around there in the studs must be rumours.Hopefully

If it's true let's hope we see him back in the same way we did with Kingsgate Native. I wonder who'd ride him?

Blimey, not good news... if he has got a pony mare in foal, then presumably that would be for insurance purposes, so I guess he's covered there (excuse the pun!)- he'd have to be, I think, to be able to compensate mare owners.

What is it with this increase in stallion infertility ? You'd hardly ever here about it years ago but now it seems like it's almost becoming commonplace.

What a blow if he is a jaffa as it would have been great to have something that good that was being offered by an alternative to Coolmore in Ireland.

What is it with this increase in stallion infertility ? You'd hardly ever here about it years ago but now it seems like it's almost becoming commonplace.

What a blow if he is a jaffa as it would have been great to have something that good that was being offered by an alternative to Coolmore in Ireland.

It is a question that I have been mulling over for some time too. Perhaps Mr Venusian would have an opinion on the side affects of the treatments given to a horse in training these days.

It would be an awful shame if he wasn't able to reproduce commercially.

Last edited:
I was Just thinking over this. There are the usual reports in the RP at the moment of such and such stallion has now had mares scanned in foal, as yet nothing released from Gilltown I take it or is it still a little early days possibly? The again you would imagine the time is about now to know. I'm hoping it is just rumours though after hearing he got a pony in foal, I'd hate to think he can't pass on some of his brilliance! If the worst did happen and he was unable to I can't imagine they'd race him again anyway, he surely means too much to the owners for them to take the 'George Washington' risk.
Anyway, let's hope it's the old rumour mill doing the rounds!

Which potential stallions have been found to be infertile in their first season? Recently there's been George Washington and Kingsgate Native. Cigar from a good while back. Any others?

By Bloodstock World Staff 10:43AM 5 MAR 2010
SEA THE STARS has five exciting mares confirmed in foal. The superstar colt won all six of his Group 1 races last year, and stands at the Aga Khan's Gilltown Stud at a fee of €85,000 for his first year at stud.
The dam of wonder filly Zarkava, Zarkasha, is one of those confirmed in foal. Zarkava is by Zamindar and was the first foal of her dam, with the second, a Soviet Star filly named Zerkeriya, winning once from seven starts. Zarkava herself is also tobe covered by Sea The Stars this year.
Bordighera is another confirmed in foal who has already produced a classic winner as she is the dam of 2,000 Guineas winner George Washington (Danehill) along with triple Group 1 winner Grandera (Grand Lodge).
Last season's Group 1 Prix Jean Romanet winner Alpine Rose is one of the five. She is an Aga Khan-owned daughter of Linamix. The other two are Centreofattention, a sister to Holy Roman Emperor, and Sewards Folly who bred Sayif, winner of the Group 2 Diadem Stakes last season and second in the Middle Park Stakes as a two-year-old.

Which potential stallions have been found to be infertile in their first season? Recently there's been George Washington and Kingsgate Native. Cigar from a good while back. Any others?

El Gran Senor initially had pretty significant fertility issues iir, but gradually got better with age. Not recent but certainly the most high-profile I can remember?

And that little pony's foal's going to go like you-know-what off a shovel, too! Can you imagine it lining up for pony racing?!

Back