Sea the Stars fertility

People are getting rather over-excited about Sea The Stars's potential as a stallion, regardless of whether his fertility is good, bad or indifferent.

His outcross pedigree is going to make it rather more difficult for him to be a prepotent sire than your average great racehorse.

There have been a number of horses of comparable ability to STS who've retired to stud in the last 40 years - Brigadier Gerard, Spectacular Bid, Dancing Brave, Dayjur and Peintre Celebre for instance - who've proved fairly hopeless at passing on racing ability to their offspring.

Perhaps we should just quietly wait and see.

I think most accept it is unlikely he will ever be near his own sire's standards at stud - but if you cannot get excited over him or at least show alot of interest in his stud career then then the game gets pretty boring!

People are getting rather over-excited about Sea The Stars's potential as a stallion, regardless of whether his fertility is good, bad or indifferent.

His outcross pedigree is going to make it rather more difficult for him to be a prepotent sire than your average great racehorse.

There have been a number of horses of comparable ability to STS who've retired to stud in the last 40 years - Brigadier Gerard, Spectacular Bid, Dancing Brave, Dayjur and Peintre Celebre for instance - who've proved fairly hopeless at passing on racing ability to their offspring.

He has everything

Pedigree, phisic and temperament.

As a racehorse , versatily ,consistency and brilliace.

I think most accept it is unlikely he will ever be near his own sire's standards at stud - but if you cannot get excited over him or at least show alot of interest in his stud career then then the game gets pretty boring!

Gal, I'd be disappointed if he didn't match Cape Cross at stud. While two outstanding horses from six or seven crops is good, it is hardly Sadler's Wells or Danehill.

Here we go again, Venusian!

We all know only one in ten new stallions ever gets to make the grade etc etc yada yada yada BUT if you can't have a degree of faith in a horse of SEA THE STAR's ability, conformation and basically very decent pedigree, then I really do feel sorry for you.

So what if we're getting over-excited?! I for one find that my investment of some three years in each foal I breed means, plus even at my pathetic low level a quite serious amount of wonga, if I don't have a lot over over-optimism, I may as well simply not bother. And then I would have missed one magical day last June which quite simply made all the other disappointments fade into insignificance....

Breeding racehorses is, of course, about money but it is also about something that you can't quantifiy, expect or even really describe very well, which is the feeling you get when it falls right and you breed winners.

STS may indeed be a 'failure' at stud but for the next three or four years, there will be many people looking over fences at their STS foals and dreaming some bloody fantastic dreams and I for one really envy them and wish them well.

Aidan O'Brien said about Yeats that there had to be a way of preserving his genes. He realised the great shame it would be not too. If Sts genes where not preserved whether they're expressed or not it would be a huge disappointment.

Surely all horse-racing is only about dreams? Young riders dream of winning the Derby or outcapping AP, fresh assistant trainers dream of taking the champion's trophy, owners dream that their sweet 2 y.o. filly will be the one to win the Oaks, and punters dream that their assorted theories or lucky pins will bring them glorious profits - even though these dreams have the percentages stacked against them. If you can't dream (or use the other word, hope) that STS turns out some super horses, then it's time to slide off to watch cricket or do jigsaws.

Agree that there has to be positivity around a stallion prospect such as STS. He was a phenomenol race horse himself a product of a stunning perdigree. I am waiting to see how his progeny turn out before passing any opinion about how they progress. Just know I wouldn't mind one of his in the garden.

I'm not saying he's going to be a failure, I just think he may have more of a racehorse's pedigree than a stallion's.

Most of the great racehorses that also did well as stallions had something interesting about their pedigrees to go with their outstanding racecourse performances, something that mares of the time could "key into".

Lexington, St Simon, Hanover, The Tetrarch, Nearco, Djebel, Ribot, Bold Ruler and Sunday Slience are examples that spring to mind.

STS may have a head start judging by the pedigree/race record of some of the mares he is covering in his first season, obviously nothing is guaranteed, but I personally would really like him to be a success. I thought he was one of the most impressive horses I have ever seen.

If ability as a stallion was based on looks this fella will be one of the greats. An amazing specimen who you really needed to see in the flesh.

If you look back being a great racehorse and being a great stallion rarel go hand in hand do they; SW, Danehill, Danzig, Northern Dancer, none great (in the true sense) racehorses.

Back