Sea the Stars fertility

If you look back being a great racehorse and being a great stallion rarel go hand in hand do they; SW, Danehill, Danzig, Northern Dancer, none great (in the true sense) racehorses.

Are you really trying to say Sadler's Wells and Northern Dancer weren't great racehorses?! :blink:

Sadlers Wells was good but don't think he would be considered the best of his generation.

Well, you'd have to be a good racehorse to even be allowed to be a stallion, for starters. It's more true to say that all good stallions have been good racehorses, otherwise something's terribly wrong with the breeding business!

Well, you'd have to be a good racehorse to even be allowed to be a stallion, for starters. It's more true to say that all good stallions have been good racehorses, otherwise something's terribly wrong with the breeding business!

Hmmm... early speed bunnys often get a go where more talented older horses don't. Full brothers who where useless often get a go too.

Are you really trying to say Sadler's Wells and Northern Dancer weren't great racehorses?! :blink:

Yeh basically, i mean as a 22 yr old I doubt he'd be known to me know without his stud career, is what i mean. Unlike Dancing Brave etc, he wasn't a ture all time great, whilst obviously top class,

I remember Sadler's Wells running. Early in his 3yo season he wouldn't have been rated as highly as his stable companion El Gran Senor. However, he kept improving throughout the season and was a really good, very tough racehorse.

He won the Irish 2000 Guineas, the Eclipse, and the Irish Champion Stakes and was second to Darshaan in the Prix du Jockey Club.

It was a good 3yo crop that year, Sadler's Wells, El Gran Senor, Darshaan, Rainbow Quest and the Derby winner Secreto.

Thanks for the link, Gareth, which brought back a lot of memories. I used to be very fond of the Park.

Didn't she? The second came through from out the back partly thanks to the fast pace she set, and yet she was still plugging on for third. Won the Irish Oaks and Pretty Polly that year. I think her best progeny was Pasternak, who won the '97 Cambridgeshire.

Back