Setanta Sports

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
Today I took out a subscription with Setanta for the sports package.

I managed to get Setanta 1 on channel 34 for about 30 minutes before my TV switched itself to standby (which it's never done before) and I can't get the setanta channel back.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, how did you resolve it?

Also, I don't seem to be getting listings for the eight channels in the package, only Set 1.

I've tried phoning them but can't get through, hence this plea.

I have integrated digital Tv with card slot.

I've subscribed via Freeview.

I've also just realised I no longer have my TopUp TV channels either!

And I've tried unplugging everything and starting again.

Still can't get through to Setanta...

They never answer the phones. I've been trying to get mine switched back on for a month.

Who do you pay for top up tv? try contacting them. Have you tried cleaning your card?

TopUp TV were very helpful, if a bit patronising, and got me back up and running. Setanta eventually answered and got my signal re-sent.

The sting in the tail is that I feel misled by their website. Underneath where it says 'click here to subscribe', it says I could get an 8-channel package for £9.99pm. It turns out that's only for Sky customers. Freeview subscribers only get Setanta 1 for that price, which isn't what I thought I was buying.

I need to phone their cancellations office on Monday (they're not open until then) but I suspect they'll want to keep the money I've paid them.

You wouldn't even have got the Celtic Champions league game during the week DO. I'm pretty sure that's on Setanta 2.

My wife seems to think I should stick with it.

She reasons that I tend to go to the pub to watch a match, usually only Celtic matches. That means I'm paying £1 a shot for a soft drink and I'll have three or four of them. If I walk down, I'll have three or four pints, which will be a tenner anyway.

With PPV I was paying £8-£10 for one match (although latterly I was not!! getting the access codes via the internet), so even if I just want to see the Celtic games I might as well stick with the £10pm deal.

I fell asleep during the Hearts-Aberdeen match yesterday. I didn't watch the Metz-Lille match and in fact I didn't watch anything else on the channel.

I've paid for the first two months. I'll probably let that run to see if I think it's better than going down the pub, spending more and having to put up with poor TV pictures, swearing, etc.

I have a wee mongrel. Thing is, I don't like pubs. They're not so bad since the smoking ban but why should I like:

*paying over the odds for bevvy
*not being able to avoid listening to loudmouths
*paying nearly £1 for a small bag of peanuts and about 40p for a 25g bag of crisps
*not having decent wash/dry facilities in the bogs
*having to put up with Coronation Street being shown on one telly for the wimmin
*smelly men
*over-perfumed women
*swearing
*other people's music on the jukebox

I'm much happier at home, to be honest.

DO - Have you had any feedback from Setanta ?

I am astonished that you only get the 1 channel and find it difficult to believe. Having looked at their website it looks like you get all 8 channels for the £9.99

I decided to let it run for a wee while. If it causes friction in the Orchid household I might have to review the situation.

"Zat you watchin' that f*ckin' fitba' AGAIN?!"
"It's either that or I go down the pub..."
"Aah waant tae watch Corrination Street!"
"Then you can go down the pub."
"Ah'm no settin' fit in a pub. 'At's too commin."
"Then go and watch it with your mother."
"Aye, right! An' get ma ears blastit aff me wi the sound up the way she's goat it?"
"Then sit with me and watch the bhoys."
"F*ck off!"

Kids, don't you just love 'em?

Back