Seven Pound Claimers......

Leonna Mayor has been riding for a few years now. I would be very surprised if she is going to take off. It seems she gets on well with Thunderball, her record on anything else isn't to be shouted from the roof tops.
She looked pretty woeful on Six Wives today, just to show the other side of the coin.

Just had a look at that race, Rory, didn't seem that bad to me, little bit weak in the finish but she had the filly in a decent place and was running on well for her at the finish.

Ferdy Murphy has had a string of good conditionals through the yard over the years, JP Macnamara, Keith Mercer, Tom Dreaper, PJ Macdonald in the past, and more recently Paul Gallagher. The curent conditionals Tony Kelly, Ed Linehan and Robbie McCarth are all good and will all win their share of races.

Just had a look at that race, Rory, didn't seem that bad to me, little bit weak in the finish but she had the filly in a decent place and was running on well for her at the finish.

She nearly fell off Colin - tried to switch her whip, lost her balance and the filly got messed around as a result, before running on again. That of course is the issue with inexperienced claimers - if they do nothing wrong then the 7 lb is a very useful allowance, but they do tend to foul up a bit.

Charles Bishop attached to the Mick Channon yard, just rode a very patient and intelligent race on Miss Muga at Folkestone.

I've noticed him a couple of times lately.

Luke Rowe looks a little weak in a finish but otherwise rides very well and is value for his 7lbs. Son of Richard Rowe I believe.

He did that on Peintre d'Argent at Newbury Colin, which was actually against orders (he was told to lie handy), but he took the view (probably correctly) that they were going too quick in front. Took some bottle on his part.

Colin Keane 10lb claimer in Ireland - rode one for us on Saturday at Navan. Very impressed - strong - stylish - did exactly what he was told - a grand young fella - his dad is Gerry Keane.

I'll be using him again definitely

Mr M T Stanley (7) rode his first winner under rules today at Towcester. Matt gave it a superb ride and will ride plenty more winners.

Yes, Luke is Richard Rowe's son - rode a decent 2nd on EDE'S DOT COM at Brighton last Friday to Flame's MAJOR ERADICATOR (Charles Bishop).

Another youngster from a racing family is Charles Eddery, 7lbs claimer, who rode ASTROLEO to a fighting finish against Tom McLaughlin over Brighton's max trip at the same meeting. Considering it was the longest race (1m 4f) and the battle for the line went on and on, he kept up his strength and balance and prevailed. With the exception of Nathan Alison (5), the other seven jocks were all seasoned pros, and Brighton is no piece of piss to ride, either.

Pat Eddery said in his autobiography that he used to hate riding at Brighton. Charging downhill on mediocre horses was not to his liking.

Memory of detail has gone but one day last week an ATR presenter asked a jock if riding Brighton scared him.

If I was involved in ownership Brighton wouldn't be top of my list for running at, can't do young horses legs any good or old athritic ones either!

I've asked quite a lot of them, very young and older, and they don't seem to mind. I asked them if that whoosh down the last bend wasn't a bit of an eyeballs-out experience, but quite a lot rather like it! You do have to ride it, though - the problem with clipping heels there is the forward momentum is exaggerated by the downhill. There are a surprising number of horses who take to the course - I certainly would have reservations for a 2 y.o. but its ride is actually fairly steady, as against Folkestone, where the undulations are like extended skiing moguls! Now those I think can jar a horse quite a bit, or unbalance it. ZENYATTA's Mike Smith seemed to have an interesting ride there last week - he was blowing a bit afterwards, and mentioned the undulations as something he hadn't quite bargained for.

And if anyone wants to see Brighton ridden very, very cannily, take a look at ATR's recording of Matthew Davies (3) on board SONG TO THE MOON, in the humble Seller (same venue, same meeting) at 3.05 pm. Now, if this winning manoeuvre shouldn't be Ride of the Week, there's no justice. I asked him, when he joined Jim Boyle in the winner's suite, if that had been the plan, and it seemed he just made the decision when he saw how the race was going. For anyone who can't see it, he swoops to the grandstand side coming off the downhill, and then cuts to the far side for the finish. Beautiful execution. I was arguing with Ardross on some other topic about the quality of the riding these days, and there's no way you'd think some of these animals were being ridden by claimers, they're that strong and they can think out of the box the trainer might've put them in.

Yes, I saw that ride, Krizon and it was nice to be proved wrong in thinking that jocks are on the same level of evolution as footballers.

Matthew Davies has been doing well lately, I've noticed him a few times. Wasn't he in trouble a few years back something about a "non-trier" at Windsor for Stoutey (allegedly).:ninja:

Don't remember offhand, Colin. He looks awfully young to have been riding for Stoute 'years back'. Mind you, most of the claimers and apprentices look about 12 to me! Katia Scanlon, who rode DIDDUMS for Flame, must weigh about three stone and yet can handle the horse and track beautifully. I hope she stays with the business, because she's a lovely kid and a smashing rider.

How long does it take to ride out a claim? Still claiming four years after you can find details of him seems ages, but I suppose it can take forever if you don't get too many rides.

Think we can add Ray Dawson to the list of promising 7 lb claimers after his exploits on Formal Bid in last few days. Certainly not lacking for strength in a finish.

Back