Silverburn

Feltham runners have provided the SAc winner, but I'm not sure the double's ever been done? In any event those who Navada Royale at decent prices are probably smiling most I'd have thought

Joe Lively's attitude won that - he's a joy to watch, I clocked that lto and he's a horse I like a lot - not v big but all heart. I rushed into the house at 1pm and had a win bet in running just after they jumped the first - he was obviously really up for it! :clap:

There's some leeway between them jumping off and then the market closing Gaz - though you can only bet at SP once the tapes go up.

Originally posted by Gaz's Way De Solzen@Dec 26 2007, 02:24 PM
Which bookies actually let you bet in running, i've never seen any markets personally? ? ?

Was a good, tough effort from Joe Lively there.
On Betfair of course

So where do my excuses start?

Well in truth, I don't have any. I'm not sure Barbers Shop looked totally at ease going right handed, his jumping was slow, I'm don't convinced he was happy coming out of sticking ground, and irrespective of whether he clouted one down the back, he wasn't going to win that.

On the plus side, Joe Lively now carries the 'Feltham curse' and so won't be winning come March. The race was also the slowest on the card by some distance, so we haven't learned whether or not he possesses the class to lay up in a true race at Cheltenham. Indeed it was a full 18.4 secs slower than the King George (over a full furlong). Initially I was tempted to attribute this to the kauto factor, but having aggregating the times to a mile I think it is more likely to be a combination of a fast King George and a slow Feltham.

I suppose it's pointing towards Nevada Royale?

For the record, I think Boomshakalaka has run the fastest time to class and looks to be running up to about 134. Apart from the mistake at the first (credit Mick Fitz for staying on board, reminded me of his recovery on Tuitchev at Sandown) I thought he jumped straight, accurately, and quickly.

I'm really not sure he looks much more like what every other Feltham winner has proven to be. A mid season idea who'd been on a programme thus, but ultimately fizzles out in the face of more classier and quicker opponents. His profile conforms more readily with that of yet another Feltham winner going to Cheltenham with a lofty reputation that gets found out. Having said that, the race itself does source SAC winners, it's just that the horse who wins at kempton never completes the double (has it ever been done?).

I laid Silvrburn and Here Johnny in running at 1.89 and 1.52-was veryhappy to see Joe Lively win it.He has been an amazing horse this season -I remember Richard Pitman giving a tip for him before he won his first novice hurdle at Newton Abboot and I cant believe how much he has progressed since.
Whatever the clock said about Barber Shop he is most definitely a dog-albeit talented.
I just had to be against Silverburn in this race-how many favs does PN have that get chinned at this meeting.This was the logic that ensured that I gave all my profits and a little bit more back on Kauto.

I would be surprised and a little disappointed if there wasn't a better (or a couple) 3 mile novice chaser in England or Ireland this season than the one we saw today.

Recent Feltham Novices Chase winners for you WARBLER. The answer is 'not lately', though of little relevance but some interest.

1982 Gallaher 6 Bill Smith Fulke Walwyn
1983 Duke of Milan 6 Peter Scudamore Nick Gaselee
1984 Catch Phrase 6 Richard Rowe Josh Gifford
1985 Von Trappe 8 Richard Dunwoody Michael Oliver
1986 Aherlow 6 Ronnie Beggan Simon Christian
1987 Twin Oaks 7 Paul Croucher David Murray-Smith
1988 Sir Blake 7 Brendan Powell David Elsworth
1989 French Goblin 6 Peter Hobbs Josh Gifford
1990 Sparkling Flame 6 Richard Dunwoody Nicky Henderson
1991 Mutare 6 Richard Dunwoody Nicky Henderson
1992 Dakyns Boy 7 Peter Scudamore Nigel Twiston-Davies
1993 See More Indians 6 Graham Bradley Paul Nicholls
1994 Brownhall 6 Adrian Maguire David Nicholson
1995 no race 1995
1996 Djeddah 5 Adam Kondrat François Doumen
1997 Fiddling the Facts 6 Mick Fitzgerald Nicky Henderson
1998 Lord of the River 6 Jamie Osborne Oliver Sherwood
1999 Gloria Victis 5 Tony McCoy Martin Pipe
2000 Bacchanal 6 Mick Fitzgerald Nicky Henderson
2001 Maximize 7 Tony McCoy Henrietta Knight
2002 Jair du Cochet 5 Jacques Ricou Guillaume Macaire
2003 Strong Flow 6 Ruby Walsh Paul Nicholls
2004 Ollie Magern 6 Carl Llewellyn Nigel Twiston-Davies
2005 Darkness * 6 Tony McCoy Charles Egerton
2006 Ungaro 7 Mick Fitzgerald Keith Reveley
2007 Joe Lively 8 Joe Tizzard Colin Tizzard

Yes, one winner in 25 years :clap: :xmasrudolf:

I think you know it's because the race was run at Sandown that year Christopher!

Last 30 winners of the SAC

1977 Gay Spartan 6 Michael Dickinson Tony Dickinson
1978 Sweet Joe 6 Steve Smith Eccles Harry Thomson Jones
1979 Master Smudge 7 Richard Hoare Arthur Barrow
1980 Lacson 8 Steve Knight Bob Hawker
1981 Lesley Ann 7 Colin Brown David Elsworth
1982 Brown Chamberlin 7 John Francome Fred Winter
1983 Canny Danny 7 Niall Madden Jimmy FitzGerald
1984 A Kinsman 8 Geordie Dun John Brockbank
1985 Antarctic Bay 9 Frank Berry Pat Hughes
1986 Cross Master 9 Reg Crank Tom Bill
1987 Kildimo 7 Graham Bradley Toby Balding
1988 The West Awake 7 Simon Sherwood Oliver Sherwood
1989 Envopak Token 8 Peter Hobbs Josh Gifford
1990 Garrison Savannah 7 Ben de Haan Jenny Pitman
1991 Rolling Ball 8 Peter Scudamore Martin Pipe
1992 Miinnehoma 9 Peter Scudamore Martin Pipe
1993 Young Hustler 6 Peter Scudamore Nigel Twiston-Davies
1994 Monsieur Le Cure 8 Peter Niven John Edwards
1995 Brief Gale 8 Philip Hide Josh Gifford
1996 Nahthen Lad 7 Warren Marston Jenny Pitman
1997 Hanakham 8 Richard Dunwoody Ron Hodges
1998 Florida Pearl 6 Richard Dunwoody Willie Mullins
1999 Looks Like Trouble 7 Paul Carberry Noel Chance
2000 Lord Noelie 7 Jim Culloty Henrietta Knight
2001 no race 2001 *
2002 Hussard Collonges 7 Russ Garritty Peter Beaumont
2003 One Knight 7 Richard Johnson Philip Hobbs
2004 Rule Supreme 8 David Casey Willie Mullins
2005 Trabolgan 7 Mick Fitzgerald Nicky Henderson
2006 Star de Mohaison 5 Barry Geraghty Paul Nicholls
2007 Denman 7 Ruby Walsh Paul Nicholls

Not sure I can see too many of the same names!!!!

Of those who won a Feltham, I can account for the following;

Ungaro = 6th
Darkness = 3rd
Jair Du Cochet = 2nd (btn 1.5L's by One Knight)
Maximize = 6th
Lord of the River = 2nd (btn 30L's by Look Like Trouble)
Fiddling The Facts = PU
Djeddah = 3rd
See More Indians = 5th
Mutare = Fell (3 out and already being ridden when 3rd)
Sparkling Flame = Fell (midfield when going at the 10th)

0 wins, 4 places and 6 unplaced

A host of them don't turn up;

Ollie Magern, Strong Flow, Bacchanal, Brownhall, Dakyns Boy, French Goblin, Sir Blake, Twin Oaks and Aherlow.

I can't account for Catch Phrase, Duke of Milan and Gallaher other than to say they didn't win. The nearest to completing the double, isn't actually on that list, as Trabolgan actually lost by a head to Ollie Magern.

Given that Nevada Royale had Joe Lively beaten at Newbury before crashing at the last, anything that Joe does now, only advertisies NR, whose trainer has of course won the last 2 renewals. The 16's available about this one looks the more enticing

Originally posted by Warbler@Dec 26 2007, 09:23 PM
Given that Nevada Royale had Joe Lively beaten at Newbury before crashing at the last, anything that Joe does now, only advertisies NR, whose trainer has of course won the last 2 renewals. The 16's available about this one looks the more enticing
I expect Nevada Royale to prove the better of the two but I'm far from convinced he would have won at Newbury if he'd have stayed up. Joe Lively was only a couple of lengths back and closing at the last whilst NR was out on his feet to my eyes.

Excellent thread. The negative comments were enough to convince me the price was too short and saved me a good few quid.

Originally posted by jairducochetfan+Dec 27 2007, 12:09 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jairducochetfan @ Dec 27 2007, 12:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Warbler@Dec 26 2007, 09:23 PM
I expect Nevada Royale to prove the better of the two but I'm far from convinced he would have won at Newbury if he'd have stayed up. Joe Lively was only a couple of lengths back and closing at the last whilst NR was out on his feet to my eyes. [/b][/quote]
That's absolutely correct, he was punch drunk coming into the last and when you saw the replay with his face in close up, you were just amazed that Sam got him over - then he just kind of crumpled from exhaustion, which was why he stayed down so long. It's a long time to Cheltenham however, in terms of honing fitness.

I'd still be inclined to go for JL who is going to be rested, as he has the most fantastic attitude [which is annoying as I've an ante-post on NR :( ]

Originally posted by Relkeel+Dec 27 2007, 07:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Relkeel @ Dec 27 2007, 07:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LUKE@Dec 26 2007, 11:18 PM
I remember Richard Pitman giving a tip for him before he won his first novice hurdle at Newton Abboot...

Well, even a stopped clock is right twice a day! [/b][/quote]
While I certainly wouldn't be fanatical about Pitman he has been known to deliver the occasional gem.

Interesting to see that Ruby didnt ride Silverburn today. Had heard word that Silverburn's owner was not happy with the ride he gave him at Kempton.

I know Walsh was riding at a different card but found it strange he was not at Sandown today.

As I said elsewhere Sam Thomas has proved that he rides Sandown fantastically well - he has a great record in % wins/runs and I'd back anything he rode there with a chance. He has over 50% for Nicholls at Sandown [it was exactly 50% before to day!] so it doesn't surprise me at all that Ruby was sent to Donny. Sad for him that CW the horse he really went for was disappointing

Originally posted by Galileo@Feb 2 2008, 06:08 PM

I know Walsh was riding at a different card but found it strange he was not at Sandown today.
On paper
he had better rides at Donny
with 2 odds on horses, Andreas and the winner of the first race

At Sandown
Gungadu is not a horse to trust, Silverburn was lucky with the big 2 not running and TTO not being so well clear in the hcp.

Back