Simon Holt

We were much vexed at Fakers today with ROC DE GUYE, FONGOLI and ROBO - depending on who was talking. ROC DE GEE with a hard G, ROC DE GUY as in 'guy'; FONGOLI - fon-goh-lee (It.: fongo-li); ROBO - you wouldn't imagine it would be anything but roh-boh, but Chaparse managed Robbo.

Unless the animal's called Bert, Pete, or Bob, there doesn't seem to be much hope for any concensus of pronunciation.

I know the guy who bought Robo from Hobbs and he calls him Rob-O as opposed to Row-Bow; but he didn't name him so? :confused: :D

Ardross - no, it's not! It's nothing to do with who won what or how many. It's how tidy someone looks, and Lester bumped along more often than not to the line, not showing much of a bodyline with the horse, which latterday jocks do much better. You just need to hoik a few old re-runs out and compare them. Kieren uses his body much better than Piggy did.

Any commentator worth his salt should be able to get by with either "Good Boy" or "Useless Bastard" when it comes to horse names - everyone else does.

:lol::lol: Quite so - along with that old boy who's been round all the tracks for years - COME ON MYSONSHITTT.

I noticed Matt Chapman pronounced Knockando as "No Can Do" the other day. Obviously not a malt whisky connoisseur.

ITEA DU FAU in the 3.00 Mares Chase at Hereford, pronounced 'eye-tee' by, I think, Tony Ennis. As every gardener knows, 'it-ee-uh' is a member of the saxifrage family, as well as being a very small town on the coast of Greece.

Back