Sky Digital

Melendez

At the Start
A little girl called around to the house a few nights ago and sold me Sky Digital with multiroom.

I have 5 televisions i want linked up.

According to the little girl...

• I get a free Sky Box that I can have split to a 2nd television, I buy a Sky+ Box that I can split to yet another tele (looking after the 3rd and 4th tele's) and the 5th wont be able to pick up any of the sky channels but will be able to access any free to air channels, which is fine.
  • All 5 tele's can be used to watch different channels at the same time.
Now it's not that I didn't trust the little girl, but while doing a little scouting around to see how the thing would work, I got the distinct impression that it wouldn't and I'd end up forking out for a box for each tele.

Can any of the more technically astute amongst you reassure me that the little girl wasn't talking shite. Also if she wasn't talking shite, does splitting cause any degradation in reception?

Yeah, you can get videosenders that do it wirelessly. I've never used one because I've never heard a good word said about them :(

Thanks.

She did say the split connection was wireless? Is that possible?

I'm not an engineer, nor do I work for Sky. But I have been hearing Salesmen told me there would be no cables stories for years......

Which doesn't mean that it's impossible. Just that I've never heard of it. :D

I rang sky digital, and not only do they not do it wirelessly, they don't do it at all. You have to get your own engineer to do the splitting (or give the call out engineer a backhander)

Order now cancelled.

The only good thing to come out of it is that when I originally rang NTL to cancel, they were able to make a few adjustments to the current bill, plus offer multiroom in the first extra room subscription free, plus free installation. It wasn't as good as the all singing, all dancing, entertainment solution offered by my little girl with the lisp but given that she was telling porkies it's an improvement.

Anyone not considering leaving NTL should consider ringing NTL to cancel. They do have incentives to help you make the decision to stay. I effectively got 3 multiroom boxes/subscriptions free for life, or until the technology is overtaken, with no installation fees(they adjusted a few things, but that's how it worked out). Had I known what was coming maybe there was scope to bargain harder, although I suspect they have set "rescue" packages to save their contracts.

Last edited:
Back