So let me guess where you live

85%
Why do southerners and the like always assume that people from the north sound like drongos from Yorkshire and Lancashire??

Blimey; somewhere round Nottingham. That's pretty close! In fact, I'm on the border with Nottingham. [I think my evening meal being 'tea' is what gives it away; I'm either northern or just plain common].

Last edited:
this thread has made me think of this song:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Shut up and listen, I'm going to tell thee a story
About my trip down South with my box of England's Glory
I took some numbies and a Bodkan, to make me feel at home
I'm going down to London to dig up paving stones
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Got to London, half past six, I wished I'd never come,
There's poofs down there drinking halves of lager
With out notes from their mums
No gravy at the chippy, and what's a saveloy?
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Every pub was full of foreigners and bottom boys.
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If I live to be forty, I'll never understand
Why they're open til eleven down there
To serve beer that's second hand
Dialing 0625 on the telephone, I said:
'Pull us a pint of bitter, Ray, tonight I'm coming home.'
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We are all just simple lads, never asked for much,
Just twenty pints of a Friday night and a wife at home to ****.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]©1984 The Macc Lads [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]N.B.- 'Numbies' - Players No6/ Embassy No1
'Bodkan' - Large can containing 4 pints of Boddington's bitter
'England's Glory' - Brand of matches only sold in the North (at the time)
'Mother's note'- An ancient custom in Macclesfield that a note signed by a parent or guardian must be
proferred before any male can be served with a half-pint.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]N.B.- Prior to 1989, pubs in England closed at 10-30pm during the week. However, in London pubs shut at 11pm-
[/FONT]

10% and family is from north west. They moved down here in the 50s and loved it. Never had any desire to move back

It said near Hull which was quite a bit off, but the arrow (after comparing on Google Earth) pointed to a couple of miles from my home town.

Back