Special Horses

EC1

On a break
not sure if special is the right word..as they are all special to those close to em..but you know what i mean

I know we have had threads before where we stick up videos of good races etc..but I thought it might be nice to have a thread where very special horses can be accessed easily..put up a synopsis of their career then a list of youtube videos sort of thing

I got this idea when Tanlic mentioned Bula on the other thread..so I'm going to start with Bula.

BULA

taken from http://www.famousracehorses.co.uk/Bula.htm

BULA – one of the truly great racehorses
This tribute is provided here in December 2007 by a donation from Sylvia Langford as a Christmas present for Geoffrey Stacey whose favourite racehorse was Bula.
Thank you from Famous Racehorses and the many fans of Bula to Sylvia and Geoff for ensuring that Bula has his place on this website where he will always be remembered.
By Raincheck out of Pongo’s Fancy
Brown gelding
Foaled 1965
Trainer: Fred Winter at Uplands in Lambourn
Owner: Captain Bill Edwards-Heathcote
Stable Lad: Vincent Brooks
Ridden By: Stan Mellor, Paul Kelleway, John Francome

CAREER
Bula raced 51 times in total, winning 34 times, 13 steeplechases and 21 hurdle races.
MAJOR RACES WON AND PLACED
1970 Benson & Hedges Handicap Hurdle
1971 Ackerman Skeaping Hurdle, Kingwell Hurdle, Welsh Champion Hurdle
1971-72 Champion Hurdle
1973 Black & White Whiskey Gold Cup
1975 Blue Circle Cement Chase
1975 3rd Cheltenham Gold Cup
1975 2nd King George VI Chase
1976 2nd Mackeson Gold Cup

It is very difficult to write about horses who were legends during their lifetimes and do justice to their characters, exploits and the effect they had on the public who were privileged to share their times. Bula is no exception. He was a spectacular racehorse, both over hurdles and fences. Over hurdles he beat Persian War, 3 times Champion Hurdle winner thought by many to be the greatest ever hurdler. At Sandown over fences he beat the legendary Tingle Creek at level weights.

Bula was the first foal of his dam Pongo’s Fancy who had won a bumper at Tuam and a hurdle race at Mallow. His sire Raincheck had run unplaced in the 1951 Derby at Epsom and won two hurdle races before being retired to stud. Bula was bought as an unbroken unfashionably bred 3 year old at Ballsbridge by Martin Molony for Captain Bill Edwards-Heathcote for the sum of £1,350 guineas. He was sent to Fred Winter to be broken in and trained and stable lad Vincent Brooks inherited him. Like many of the really good racehorses no one wanted to do him. He is remembered as being big, ugly and fat, looking more like a war horse than a racehorse. Vincent was one charge short and was asked to take him on and duly obliged.
Perhaps this early vision of him as a War Horse was prophetic for he was to prove how brave he was and he was to become the first really great horse, of many, trained at Uplands. Fred Winter will be remembered as that rarest of beings, not just a great jockey but a great trainer, and more importantly a great man. He was not just respected by all who knew him, he is remembered with affection and awe. He wore his greatness well, he was an honest and humble man who was not ashamed to be sentimental about his horses. Bula was one of his favourites.

Throughout his career Bula showed little hint of his talent when working at home. Bobby Beasley who was former stable jockey partnered Bula in some early workouts and felt that he caught a glimmer of the acceleration he would later use to such advantage. Vincent Brooks also thought there might be something special about him. Bula was ridden by Vincent on his own mostly because he had a mind of his own and could gallop off for no apparent reason. But he was a Christian in his box and it was said about him that he would rather lick you than bite you. Vincent was dubbed, ‘the Luckiest Lad in racing’, because he not only did Bula but also Pendil. Paul Kelleway is credited with being the making of Bula as he was able to get the horse to relax and switch off in his races. Paul had an exceptional teacher as a young rider, he was apprenticed to the famous flat jockey Harry Wragg, whose nickname was ‘The Head Waiter’ because of his talent to come from behind at the last minute and seize the race from unsuspecting victims. Paul had also spent many seasons with the great trainer Ryan Price.

Paul’s way of riding was often criticised because some people felt that to be trying a horse ought to be kept handy. But being switched off during the initial part of a race really suited Bula who had to be waited with and who possessed the speed to take a race in the final stages. They were a formidable team and together took back to back Champion Hurdles in 1971/72 and at the height of the partnership were undefeated in 13 races.
Paul was injured when Bula made his race debut at Lingfield in November 1969 and Stan Mellor stood in for him. Neither Stan nor Fred expected much in this first race and Bula has not shown to be the best of jumpers at home either so Stan was asked to teach the horse as much as he could and find out if he was any good. Bula kicked the first three hurdles out and was in third place going for home. At the second last Stan gave him a little kick to see what he could do and was astounded when Bula sprinted easily away to win the race by 6 lengths. He would continue his novice season with the same kind of performances and meet nothing that could equal him. His second season showed that he not only possessed speed but bountiful courage, he never shirked a battle. In 1971 after a 5 length victory in a race it was decided he should meet the champions and he went to Wincanton to take on the mighty Persian War in The Kingwell Hurdle. Persian War was a brilliant racehorse whose connections perhaps expected too much of him, he changed trainers often and suffered from hard palate problems. Nevertheless Persian War loved the game and was a hard opponent. On that first day Bula would receive 4 lbs from Persian War and beat him by 10 lengths. In all Bula was to beat Persian War three times.

It was a small field for the 1971 Champion Hurdle where Bula started the 15/8 favourite. Paul brought Bula up the stands rail where his turn of foot left the field for dead beating Persian War by 4 lengths.
The following year proved more difficult for Bula. Beaten a neck on his seasonal debut by a horse he gave 3 stone to, he then injured a leg when winning the Ackerman Skeaping Trophy and it took 3 months for Fred to nurse him back to health. He then won the Kingwell but bruised a foot in the process. But he was ready to defend his crown at Cheltenham and his 8 length win was the first of such a wide margin since Insurance in 1932. At the second last Kelleway released his double handful putting Bula into the race and they sauntered to the line.

When Bula’s attempt to win a third Champion Hurdle in 1973 showed that he had lost his sparkle over hurdles he was switched to chasing where he proved an outstanding novice chaser. In 1975 he was considered Cheltenham Gold Cup class and John Francome rode him. Bula required good ground to be at his best and that year the race was run in dreadful conditions. Bula put in a brave performance and finished third to Ten Up. Connections felt he might well have won had the ground been better. Not surprisingly he started favourite for the 1976 Gold Cup but was not at all himself on the day never troubling the winner Royal Frolic. Had he won the Gold Cup he would have become the first to win both the Champion Hurdle and Gold Cup, before Dawn Run.

In 1977 when Bula was 12 years old he took his place in the Champion Chase at The Festival instead of the Gold Cup as it was felt that the 2 miles round Cheltenham might better suit him than the 3 plus of the Gold Cup. It was again terrible conditions and although putting in another typically brave effort he fell heavily at the second last, breaking a bone and badly injuring the muscles of his off fore shoulder. He was taken back to Uplands where it was initially hoped that he could be saved. He had severed the radial nerve in the shoulder so he was not in pain but he became weak, lost muscle and had trouble standing up. Finally after 8 weeks of attempting to save him Fred Winter and his vet Frank Mahon put Bula to rest. Fred was left to break the news to Vincent. All who knew him, and a great many who did not, were devastated by his loss.

1971 Champion Hurdle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khCX4QL4k48&feature=related

1972 Champion Hurdle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1bqWv4oOuE

Last edited:
Lovely idea, EC.

I'd be keen to do something for Silver Buck when I have a spare moment or two. I just feel he was somewhat underrated, particularly with some of the ratings flying about now.

Great idea, and lovely reading.

To be fair to the Post, I've really enjoyed Tony Morris' column every Saturday looking at a great of the turf.

Lovely idea, EC.

I'd be keen to do something for Silver Buck when I have a spare moment or two. I just feel he was somewhat underrated, particularly with some of the ratings flying about now.

I'll look forward very much to reading that

ah memories...I had a love hate relationship with Silver Buck. I had first got interested in racing about 1976/77 and his clashes with Night Nurse usually went Silver Buck's way as i seem to remember..I loved Night Nurse.

Persian War is a horse I knew about long before i got interested in racing. In 1969 & 1970 I was football mad and the BBC teleprinter at about 4.30 on a Saturday was what I would be watching..but before the teleprinter and in breaks in between they would give all the racing results out..which i absolutely loathed at the time..they would go on for an age..but one horse's name stuck in my memories..seemed to always be winning..which of course he was..old Persian War seemed to be on every Saturday i watched..his name was etched on my brain at that time lol.

Last edited:
My first memory of British racehorses was strongly tipping my racing-keen uncle PETITE ETOILE while my parents and I were on leave from darkest Africa. I followed the local racing at our courses in (then) Northern Rhodesia and South African bloodstock from the age of 12, but our visit to the UK opened my eyes to a slightly larger venue - Epsom, on Derby Day. Charlie Smirke emerged on one horse for a race that day, and a wag in the crowd bawled out, "Are ya tryin' terday, Charlie?" which drew the most fearsome glare from the wizened one.

not sure if special is the right word..as they are all special to those close to em..but you know what i mean

I know we have had threads before where we stick up videos of good races etc..but I thought it might be nice to have a thread where very special horses can be accessed easily..put up a synopsis of their career then a list of youtube videos sort of thing

I got this idea when Tanlic mentioned Bula on the other thread..so I'm going to start with Bula.

BULA

taken from http://www.famousracehorses.co.uk/Bula.htm

BULA – one of the truly great racehorses
This tribute is provided here in December 2007 by a donation from Sylvia Langford as a Christmas present for Geoffrey Stacey whose favourite racehorse was Bula.
Thank you from Famous Racehorses and the many fans of Bula to Sylvia and Geoff for ensuring that Bula has his place on this website where he will always be remembered.
By Raincheck out of Pongo’s Fancy
Brown gelding
Foaled 1965
Trainer: Fred Winter at Uplands in Lambourn
Owner: Captain Bill Edwards-Heathcote
Stable Lad: Vincent Brooks
Ridden By: Stan Mellor, Paul Kelleway, John Francome

CAREER
Bula raced 51 times in total, winning 34 times, 13 steeplechases and 21 hurdle races.
MAJOR RACES WON AND PLACED
1970 Benson & Hedges Handicap Hurdle
1971 Ackerman Skeaping Hurdle, Kingwell Hurdle, Welsh Champion Hurdle
1971-72 Champion Hurdle
1973 Black & White Whiskey Gold Cup
1975 Blue Circle Cement Chase
1975 3rd Cheltenham Gold Cup
1975 2nd King George VI Chase
1976 2nd Mackeson Gold Cup

It is very difficult to write about horses who were legends during their lifetimes and do justice to their characters, exploits and the effect they had on the public who were privileged to share their times. Bula is no exception. He was a spectacular racehorse, both over hurdles and fences. Over hurdles he beat Persian War, 3 times Champion Hurdle winner thought by many to be the greatest ever hurdler. At Sandown over fences he beat the legendary Tingle Creek at level weights.

Bula was the first foal of his dam Pongo’s Fancy who had won a bumper at Tuam and a hurdle race at Mallow. His sire Raincheck had run unplaced in the 1951 Derby at Epsom and won two hurdle races before being retired to stud. Bula was bought as an unbroken unfashionably bred 3 year old at Ballsbridge by Martin Molony for Captain Bill Edwards-Heathcote for the sum of £1,350 guineas. He was sent to Fred Winter to be broken in and trained and stable lad Vincent Brooks inherited him. Like many of the really good racehorses no one wanted to do him. He is remembered as being big, ugly and fat, looking more like a war horse than a racehorse. Vincent was one charge short and was asked to take him on and duly obliged.
Perhaps this early vision of him as a War Horse was prophetic for he was to prove how brave he was and he was to become the first really great horse, of many, trained at Uplands. Fred Winter will be remembered as that rarest of beings, not just a great jockey but a great trainer, and more importantly a great man. He was not just respected by all who knew him, he is remembered with affection and awe. He wore his greatness well, he was an honest and humble man who was not ashamed to be sentimental about his horses. Bula was one of his favourites.

Throughout his career Bula showed little hint of his talent when working at home. Bobby Beasley who was former stable jockey partnered Bula in some early workouts and felt that he caught a glimmer of the acceleration he would later use to such advantage. Vincent Brooks also thought there might be something special about him. Bula was ridden by Vincent on his own mostly because he had a mind of his own and could gallop off for no apparent reason. But he was a Christian in his box and it was said about him that he would rather lick you than bite you. Vincent was dubbed, ‘the Luckiest Lad in racing’, because he not only did Bula but also Pendil. Paul Kelleway is credited with being the making of Bula as he was able to get the horse to relax and switch off in his races. Paul had an exceptional teacher as a young rider, he was apprenticed to the famous flat jockey Harry Wragg, whose nickname was ‘The Head Waiter’ because of his talent to come from behind at the last minute and seize the race from unsuspecting victims. Paul had also spent many seasons with the great trainer Ryan Price.

Paul’s way of riding was often criticised because some people felt that to be trying a horse ought to be kept handy. But being switched off during the initial part of a race really suited Bula who had to be waited with and who possessed the speed to take a race in the final stages. They were a formidable team and together took back to back Champion Hurdles in 1971/72 and at the height of the partnership were undefeated in 13 races.
Paul was injured when Bula made his race debut at Lingfield in November 1969 and Stan Mellor stood in for him. Neither Stan nor Fred expected much in this first race and Bula has not shown to be the best of jumpers at home either so Stan was asked to teach the horse as much as he could and find out if he was any good. Bula kicked the first three hurdles out and was in third place going for home. At the second last Stan gave him a little kick to see what he could do and was astounded when Bula sprinted easily away to win the race by 6 lengths. He would continue his novice season with the same kind of performances and meet nothing that could equal him. His second season showed that he not only possessed speed but bountiful courage, he never shirked a battle. In 1971 after a 5 length victory in a race it was decided he should meet the champions and he went to Wincanton to take on the mighty Persian War in The Kingwell Hurdle. Persian War was a brilliant racehorse whose connections perhaps expected too much of him, he changed trainers often and suffered from hard palate problems. Nevertheless Persian War loved the game and was a hard opponent. On that first day Bula would receive 4 lbs from Persian War and beat him by 10 lengths. In all Bula was to beat Persian War three times.

It was a small field for the 1971 Champion Hurdle where Bula started the 15/8 favourite. Paul brought Bula up the stands rail where his turn of foot left the field for dead beating Persian War by 4 lengths.
The following year proved more difficult for Bula. Beaten a neck on his seasonal debut by a horse he gave 3 stone to, he then injured a leg when winning the Ackerman Skeaping Trophy and it took 3 months for Fred to nurse him back to health. He then won the Kingwell but bruised a foot in the process. But he was ready to defend his crown at Cheltenham and his 8 length win was the first of such a wide margin since Insurance in 1932. At the second last Kelleway released his double handful putting Bula into the race and they sauntered to the line.

When Bula’s attempt to win a third Champion Hurdle in 1973 showed that he had lost his sparkle over hurdles he was switched to chasing where he proved an outstanding novice chaser. In 1975 he was considered Cheltenham Gold Cup class and John Francome rode him. Bula required good ground to be at his best and that year the race was run in dreadful conditions. Bula put in a brave performance and finished third to Ten Up. Connections felt he might well have won had the ground been better. Not surprisingly he started favourite for the 1976 Gold Cup but was not at all himself on the day never troubling the winner Royal Frolic. Had he won the Gold Cup he would have become the first to win both the Champion Hurdle and Gold Cup, before Dawn Run.

In 1977 when Bula was 12 years old he took his place in the Champion Chase at The Festival instead of the Gold Cup as it was felt that the 2 miles round Cheltenham might better suit him than the 3 plus of the Gold Cup. It was again terrible conditions and although putting in another typically brave effort he fell heavily at the second last, breaking a bone and badly injuring the muscles of his off fore shoulder. He was taken back to Uplands where it was initially hoped that he could be saved. He had severed the radial nerve in the shoulder so he was not in pain but he became weak, lost muscle and had trouble standing up. Finally after 8 weeks of attempting to save him Fred Winter and his vet Frank Mahon put Bula to rest. Fred was left to break the news to Vincent. All who knew him, and a great many who did not, were devastated by his loss.

1971 Champion Hurdle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khCX4QL4k48&feature=related

1972 Champion Hurdle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1bqWv4oOuE

Yeah, but what did he beat though?

Last edited:
A great read EC. I look forward to some more.

cheers...feel free to add your own..i'll do a few later in the week..unless someone pinches all the 70's hurdlers:)

if possible..it would be nice to see all the available youtube videos with the older ones in particular...should make good viewing hopefully

Last edited:
Article by McCoy about Denman in today's Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ho...oy-I-feel-honoured-to-have-ridden-Denman.html

“I don’t care what horse you had stuck in there from the past, he’d definitely have beaten them all that day…

He was a great hulk of a horse to ride and, unquestionably, one of the great chasers, if not the greatest, to race in the 20 years that I’ve been race riding”.

Last edited:
Brian Hartigan put something very readable on Arkle on here once. Is it possible to fish that out?

I did too, but I adored Monksfield, my favourite of all time.

I remember the Aintree hurdle they really duelled in..seem to remember they showed an aerial shot which looked superb as both horses seemed locked together for most of the race..i hope that video is on youtube..one of the great hurdling battles

Night Nurse was one of my favourites also. Worth putting up something on Golden Cygnet as well though (he was special).

Last edited:
Thanks Grey... whatever happened to Brian? He disappeared one day... I've heard nothing of him since.

He's still doing all the other things he used to do, I usually see him when I go to Cheltenham or the London courses. The forum was getting out of hand at one stage, especially behind the scenes, I think, and he decided that he'd had enough.

He's still doing all the other things he used to do, I usually see him when I go to Cheltenham or the London courses. The forum was getting out of hand at one stage, especially behind the scenes, I think, and he decided that he'd had enough.

Thanks Grey… I guessed it was something of the sort. Good to hear the old boy is still alive and kicking though.

Heck, this could be the most monster topic ever if we reach right back and haul out the specials! Grey, do give Lord Hartigan a big hug from me - he still sends risque e-mails and corrects me on any slip-ups in his usual strictly factual manner. Haven't seen him for a few years, when he scooted in to Fontwell. It's time he got back in the saddle of ownership, surely? And for any who don't know - Brian was a co-owner of LORD NOELIE, Hen Knight-trained winner of the Royal & Sun Alliance Chase under Jim Culloty.

To help some of us choose from our specials list, howzabout looking over these offerings, all detailed in Julian Wilson's 100 Greatest Racehorses?

ALCIDE
ALDANITI
ALLEGED
ALLEZ FRANCE
ALYCIDON
ARKLE
BAHRAM
BALLYMOSS
BATTLESHIP
BAYARDO
BRANTOME
BRIGADIER GERARD
BROWN JACK
BULA
CAPTAIN CHRISTY
CARBINE
CITATION
COLOMBO
CREPELLO
CRISP
DAHLIA
DANCING BRAVE
DANTE
DAWN RUN
EASTER HERO
ECLIPSE
EPINARD
FLYINGBOLT
FREDDIE
GAY CRUSADER
GLADIATEUR
GOLDEN MILLER
GRUNDY
HABITAT
HAMBLETONIAN
HATTON'S GRACE
HUMORIST
HYPERION
ISINGLASS
JAY TRUMP
JERRY M
KELSO
KINCSEM
LA FLECHE
L'ESCARGOT
MAN O'WAR
MANDARIN
MANIFESTO
MELD
MILL HOUSE
MILL REEF
MONKSFIELD
MUMTAZ MAHAL
NASRULLAH
NATIVE DANCER
NEARCO
NIGHT NURSE
NIJINSKY
NOBLESSE
NORTHERN DANCER
OH SO SHARP
ORMONDE
ORWELL
PARK TOP
PENDIL
PERSIAN WAR
PERSIMMON
PETITE ETOILE
PHAR LAP
PRETTY POLLY
PRINCE REGENT
RED RUM
REYNOLDSTOWN
RIBOT
SAGARO
ST SIMON
SCEPTRE
SEA BIRD II
SEA PIGEON
SEATTLE SLEW
SECRETARIAT
SEE YOU THEN
SHERGAR
SIGNORINETTA
SIR IVOR
SIR KEN
SUN CHARIOT
TANTIEME
THE FLYING DUTCHMAN
THE TETRARCH
TOUCHSTONE
TROY
TROYTOWN
TUDOR MINSTREL
TUMBLEDOWNWIND
VAGUELY NOBLE
VOLTIGEUR
WAR ADMIRAL
WEST AUSTRALIAN
WINDSOR LAD

Phew - a lot there before even this old woman's time! Remember seeing RIBOT on television (probably a Beebcast in those days of yore), tanking off to the start with his jockey and running well past where he should've pulled in. PETITE ETOILE a punting joy after I tipped her to my racing-keen uncle. A large number of them names which informed my childhood love of horses and racing - I rode out several of them via a prone oil drum covered in sacking, with wire 'stirrups'. :blink:

Desert Orchid. He's a must for this too. He was my first equine hero and will forever be one of my favourites.

GOLDEN CYGNET

from Wikipedia

Golden Cygnet was sent to Goffs November Sales as an unbroken 3-year-old in 1975 where he was bought by trainer, Edward O'Grady for the sum of 980 guineas.

Golden Cygnet began his racing career as a 4-year-old in a flat maiden over 2 miles at Leopardstown on the June bank holiday Monday. He was backed in to 3/1 from 7's. Although he won the race, he was disqualified for causing interference inside the final furlong and placed second. His next run was in a bumper at Roscommon where he was a fast finishing third, beaten less than a length before signing off for the year with an 8-length win at Naas in a one-and-a-half mile flat maiden for amateur riders in early October.

It was almost a year before Golden Cygnet re-appeared on the racetrack again, finishing last in a handicap over 2 miles at Listowel in September before heading to Punchestown the following month for another handicap over a trip that was too short for him (9 furlongs). The form book stated 'never placed to challenge, some late progress'. He turned up for the Leopardstown November Handicap and was backed in from 20/1 to 7/2. With only 7-7 to carry, the top British-based lightweight jockey, Richard Fox, was booked for the ride. However, he failed to settle in the early stages of the race and as a result found himself in front with half a mile to run before fading in the straight to finish seventh. This being the last day of the flat season, Golden Cygnet's sights were then switched to hurdling.

His first appearance over hurdles came at Clonmel on the 8th December, 1977 where he was ridden by 19-year-old amateur Niall Madden who had ridden him to his only victory on the flat and was to ride him in all of his hurdle races. He won by 3 lengths (Form Book: 11/10 Fav, soon in touch, 2nd after 3 out, led between last two, ran on well). His next appearance was at Leopardstown on St. Stephen's Day in a 'Winners' hurdle for which he again started favourite at 6/4. This was a performance that had to be seen to be believed. Having been held up off the pace early on, he gradually made progress to join the leaders approaching the straight. At this stage he was travelling so well that Madden was having trouble restraining him as he had begun to take such a strong hold. He went to the front sooner than intended because he could not hold him any longer and he strolled away from the others in the straight to win on a tight rein (Form Book: 6/4 Fav, waited with, improved to 4th 3 out, joined leader cantering entering straight, soon led, drew clear, impressive).

So easily had Golden Cygnet won at Leopardstown that his trainer Edward O'Grady decided to let him take his chance in the Slaney Hurdle at Naas only 12 days later. Although he won, he was not as impressive as one would have expected after his performance at Leopardstown and not only was his victory hard fought, he also had to survive a stewards' inquiry into possible interference although he deservedly kept the race (Form Book: 4/6 Fav, mid division & waited with, improved when mistake 4 out, 5th 3 out, led from next, edged right at last, ran on well). He was given plenty of time to recover and did not re-appear until the 25th February, exactly 7 weeks later. His target was the Fournoughts Hurdle at Punchestown, a trial for the Supreme Novices' Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival. He beat his 6 opponents (Form Book: 4/7 Fav, always close up, 2nd 2 out, led on bridle entering straight, went clear before last, easily).

As soon as Niall Madden pulled him out to challenge at the top of the hill with 3 to jump, he began to take a strong hold. Once he jumped the second last, he let him go and he shot clear, jumped the last well and sprinted up the hill to win running away by 15 lengths from Western Rose in a faster time than the Champion Hurdle which took place one hour later. (Form Book: 4/5 Fav, always going easily, led 2 out, went clear flat, impressive). Trainer of the runner-up Fred Rimell said "I've never seen a horse win so easily at the Festival."[citation needed] He was immediately installed as favourite for the 1979 Champion Hurdle.

He was to run twice more. Firstly he headed to the Fairyhouse Easter Festival for the Fingal Hurdle, a race for the best novices in Ireland. As in previous races, he beat his eight opponents, coming home eased down by 10 lengths (Form Book: 2/7 Fav, waited with, 2nd 4 out, disputed lead approaching next, soon led, quickened clear approaching last, impressive). It was expected to be his last race of the season but he was so well in himself afterwards that connections decided to let him take his chance in the Scottish Champion Hurdle at Ayr 18 days later.

The Scottish Champion Hurdle represented a huge step up in class. Up until now, Golden Cygnet had been taking on fellow novices and he had shown himself to be in a different league. At Ayr he was taking on very experienced hurdlers of the highest class who were well capable of exposing any chinks he might have in his armour. On top of that, it was a handicap. In most years a Cheltenham winning novice could be expected to receive 14 lb or more in weight from his more experienced rivals, especially from the likes of Night Nurse, the Champion Hurdler in 1976 & 1977 and Sea Pigeon who was to go on and win the Champion Hurdle in 1980 & 1981. However, the handicapper paid Golden Cygnet the huge compliment of allotting him 11 st 13 lb which was 5 lb more than dual champion Night Nurse, 7 lb more than Beacon Light, who had been fourth in the Champion Hurdle the previous month and 12 lb more than Decent Fellow, winner of the Irish Sweeps Handicap Hurdle under 11-4. The only horse set to carry more weight than he did was Sea Pigeon who was asked to carry only 1 lb more having finished a close second to Monksfield in the previous month's Champion Hurdle. In allowing him to take his chance at this level and at these weights, it showed just how highly Edward O'Grady rated him - and his assessment proved to be extremely accurate.

The race went according to plan most of the way. Having been held up early, Golden Cygnet moved into third place as they came to the second last hurdle. Approaching the final flight, he moved alongside Night Nurse travelling very strongly and looked an assured winner when for some unknown reason he just did not lift his front legs and crashed through the flight, somersaulting on his head before hitting the ground with a tremendous thud. Luckily, Niall Madden was thrown clear before the horse landed on him. Sea Pigeon went on to win the race, catching Night Nurse close home. "I was cantering on him," said Madden. "Still cruising. He had jumped brilliantly, never touched a hurdle. And then for some reason he stood off a bit too far at the last and he just clipped the top of it and came down on his neck." Racing's most respected judges 'Timeform' stated in their 1977/1978 Annual:

"The race confirmed two important points - that Sea Pigeon had no superior among the established hurdlers apart from Monksfield, and that all the superlatives heaped on Golden Cygnet had been justified........Golden Cygnet appeared to have plenty left, and was two lengths up on Sea Pigeon and about to take the lead from Night Nurse when he suffered his fatal fall. Judging by the way Golden Cygnet finished in his previous races, he would have taken some catching........The connections of Sea Pigeon did not dispute the general feeling afterward that Golden Cygnet would have beaten Sea Pigeon in the Scottish Champion Hurdle if he had not come to grief at the last. And for a novice to have defeated a seasoned campaigner of Sea Pigeon's calibre at a difference of only 1 lb would have been a staggering achievement."

Very few people were inclined to disagree, including the compilers of the form book whose comment was (7/4 JF, waited with, improved approaching 2 out, quickened between last two, disputed & looked winner when fell last) [1].

Golden Cygnet eventually got back to his feet after the fall and although dazed and naturally very sore as a result, everything appeared to be pretty much OK. A long period of rest over the summer seemed to be all that was required. However, trainer Edward O'Grady was not 100% happy with his condition. A lump had developed on his neck which appeared to be a regular hematoma but something about it just did not look right. After consulting the racecourse vet he decided as a precaution to send the horse to the veterinary unit at Edinburgh University for a couple of days to be sure that everything was OK before allowing him to travel home. When he was contacted by the University the following day, everything appeared to be fine, but 24 hours later Golden Cygnet's condition began to deteriorate rapidly. When Edward O'Grady arrived home from Kilbeggan races later that Monday evening, his phone rang. It was the University again. He was hoping to receive the all-clear for the horse to travel home. Instead he was told that Golden Cygnet had suffered a brain hemorrhage as a result of an injured vertebrae and had been humanely destroyed. O'Grady said, "It was devastating, absolutely devastating. Rather like a friend or part of the family not only dying unexpectedly, but in a different country. That was the hardest part." When the news broke, the racing world was stunned. Timeform shared many peoples feelings when stating in their annual publication:

"Tragically, a bad fall at the last flight in the Scottish Champion Hurdle in April left him fatally injured and robbed hurdling of its most exciting recruit for years. Without doubt Golden Cygnet was a tremendous prospect and, with another year on him, there was no telling how good he might have proved himself to be........he was still improving when we last saw him as a hurdler and it is as certain as anything can be in racing that he would have had a very bright future in the top class had he survived."

He remains the highest rated novice hurdler of all time.

1978 Fournoughts Hurdle Punchestown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBXfWjMwFB8&feature=related

1978 Supreme Novice Hurdle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_8KSgxz4pg&feature=related

Golden Cygnet - 1978 Fingal Hurdle Fairyhouse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mp5QYaPUNc&feature=related

1978 Scottish Champion Hurdle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtieDQ9blK4

Last edited:
Back