Sporting Life Website "Upgrade"

Perpetual

At the Start
Why is it whenever a site is upgraded it’s a backwards steps for users (Oddschecker, Racing Post etc.)

I only have access to the Sporting Life at work and their latest upgrade is a disaster. To look at old results you have to change the URL date, fast cards have disappeared, there’s no database search functionality and the latest is any Fell or UP races have disappeared from a horses form record

It's free, so cannot complain too much, but its's a nightmare for those of us looking forward to a “quiet” Friday afternoons work...

All the racing forums are full of complaints re this nature, ATR seem to have gone a step backwards too

I emailed SL this morning to ask how old the guy designing the 'new' site was. It is less than half complete. Why on earth would you roll something out which is nowhere near finished? This doesn't bode well.

I noticed earlier that I couldn't search for a horse and watch the video replay. I have RUK so can do it there but you need to know the date(s) of the races and now this is the same.

I emailed SL this morning to ask how old the guy designing the 'new' site was. It is less than half complete. Why on earth would you roll something out which is nowhere near finished? This doesn't bode well.

Because it's trial and error until they get it perfect.

SL are working to get the new site up and running properly which takes time and the best way is to do that while it is up: So what's the beef?

Unlike that rat bag mob at the racing post and their money grabbing club it's free to use and they deserve out support not whining

Because it's trial and error until they get it perfect.

SL are working to get the new site up and running properly which takes time and the best way is to do that while it is up: So what's the beef?

Unlike that rat bag mob at the racing post and their money grabbing club it's free to use and they deserve out support not whining

Well no, the best way is to test before making live, or have it on a different server or url (like beta.sportinglife.com) and either email invites to members or have a link saying 'to try our new site click here' then ask for feedback by way of a button on each page for errors, so they are known and fixed before its live.

Having said that the fast results seem more reliable and are formatted better when they are in the frame on the front page of this site!

lots of bugs but useful for us that collect data, now more easily available than having to parse the site.

Well no, the best way is to test before making live, or have it on a different server or url (like beta.sportinglife.com) and either email invites to members or have a link saying 'to try our new site click here' then ask for feedback by way of a button on each page for errors, so they are known and fixed before its live.

Having said that the fast results seem more reliable and are formatted better when they are in the frame on the front page of this site!

Doesn't that incur a cost? I mean the different server

Last edited:
Why is it whenever a site is upgraded it’s a backwards steps for users (Oddschecker, Racing Post etc.)

I only have access to the Sporting Life at work and their latest upgrade is a disaster. To look at old results you have to change the URL date, fast cards have disappeared, there’s no database search functionality and the latest is any Fell or UP races have disappeared from a horses form record

It's free, so cannot complain too much, but its's a nightmare for those of us looking forward to a “quiet” Friday afternoons work...

After the RP made such a mess of their re-design I really do wonder if they have any user testing at all at these please. Certainly not tested by anyone who wants to see the whole card, in an easy to print style. SPORTINGLIVE.CO.uk gives you the old site.

I'm absolutely lost. Where is the video form?

What a time to start farting about with it!

Last edited:
I emailed them as well as used the profile search a lot and I can't find it at all. Plus you have to register and sign in whereas before it was just 'there'. I use the video a lot too.

The site will be back to normal in a few days.............Thanks for all your feedback over the last 24 hours. ABC guide and various stats are being brought over along with other features.

The video replays have always (as far as I know) required a Skybet login and nothing's changed there. Not sure what the problem is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've logged in but can't find the replays. Any guidance you could offer would be appreciated.

Click Racing/Full Results
Then select the race you want and log in
Must admit I was only looking for this week's races and it's not obvious how to get to older ones which used to be available

OK GET THIS:..............they haven't added all the links like profiles yet so don't go looking for them.

As Denis Norden fist said "It'll be alright on the night"

Where the F*** is the non runner page?

Also when you look at the racecard it doesn't tell you what class of race it is

Embarrassing

Back