St Nicholas Abbey

Heard Aidan being interviewed last week and he sounded fairly confident of
making it back this season.

Thanks for that Luke - where was he interviewed? I was hoping RTE might ask the question this weekend but nothing, and there have not even been quotes in the paper with the usual "no plans yet"..

Thanks for that Luke - where was he interviewed? I was hoping RTE might ask the question this weekend but nothing, and there have not even been quotes in the paper with the usual "no plans yet"..

It was on atr after a race at Leopardstown.

He won't be running in that.

Not at all likely that he'll run in the St Leger. Midas Touch will be their main hope for that. Simply usual block bookings.

SNA has been cantering but they are not making plans yet. I'm hopeful that we will see him out before close of play this season though.

I think if FAG comes back in good shape in the Royal Whip and is going forward towards the Irish Champion and ARC...then SNA may not be asked to do too much this year with next year being the goal for him.

FAG ... coulda, woulda, shoulda ... been born another year!
The Arc? The one in Paris?!

Sorry, just joking - when I saw the reference, I immediately got the feeling 'his time has passed.'

No Offence Intended :)

Aidan O'Brien has no race in mind for St Nicholas Abbey's eagerly-anticipated return to action.
Last year's champion two-year-old was forced to miss the Investec Derby after a late setback but is now nearing a return to full work at Ballydoyle.
"He's back cantering, he hasn't worked yet but he's getting closer to work at the moment. When the work starts we'll be able to pick a race for him," O'Brien said.
"We consciously haven't picked a race for him as we want him to tell us when he's ready to return. I'm very happy with him and everything has gone well and we are looking at an autumn campaign now."
The Tattersalls Millions Irish Champion Stakes had been mooted as a possible target for the son of Montjeu but stablemates Fame And Glory, Rip Van Winkle and Cape Blanco are now in the frame for that Group One contest.

Unlikely to make the Arc trial next weekend - if he does not make it he is will probably gallop after racing at The Curragh next weekend.

If they were aiming him at the Niel - presumably the Arc was the preferred main target. If not I think the Newmarket Champion would be the likely option. But guess we will find out soon enough.

What was the nature of the injury? I seem to remember it was torn muscles but it does seem to be taking a long long time to get over it so it must have been pretty bad. Anyone got any inside on it? Gal?

From memory I think it was a minor muscle problem - but that the general opinion since then was that they were pushing him too early too soon in the season (at a time when the Ballydoyle horses were not firing) into a test (Guineas on fast ground) that he really needed to be at his peak. As a result they gave him a complete break as his mind as much as any else was a bit fried.

Gal's right there was nothing really wrong with him at all. He was physically underdeveloped earlier this season and considered just too good in terms of potential to press on with at the time. They have done the right thing in giving him a complete break, building him up and bringing him back gradually. He's not in the same boat at all as those that have been recovering from injury.

Last edited:
Back