start your grizzling now

uncle goober

At the Start
Order of Running - THE FESTIVAL 2009

First Day – Tuesday 10th March (Old Course)

The Supreme Novices’ Hurdle Race
2m abt ½f
The Irish Independent Arkle Challenge Trophy Steeple Chase
abt 2m
The William Hill Trophy Handicap Steeple Chase
3m abt ½ f
The Smurfit Kappa Champion Hurdle Challenge Trophy
2m abt ½f
The Cross Country Steeple Chase
3m abt 7f

The David Nicholson Mares’ Hurdle Race
2m abt 4f

Second Day – Wednesday 11th March (Old Course)

The National Hunt Steeple Chase Challenge Cup
Abt 4m
The Ballymore Properties Novices’ Hurdle Race
2m abt 5f
The Royal & SunAlliance Steeple Chase
3m abt ½ f
The Seasons Holidays Queen Mother Champion Steeple Chase
Abt 2m
The Coral Cup Hurdle (A Handicap Hurdle Race)
2m abt 5f

The Fred Winter Juvenile Handicap Hurdle Race
2m abt ½f

The Weatherbys Champion Bumper (A Standard Open NH Flat Race)
2m abt ½f

Third Day – Thursday 12th March (New Course)

The Jewson Novices’ Handicap Chase
2m abt 5f
The Pertemps Final (A Handicap Hurdle Race)
Abt 3m
The Ryanair Steeple Chase
2m abt 5f
The Ladbrokes World Hurdle Race
abt 3m
The Festival Plate (A Handicap Steeple Chase)
2m abt 5f

The Fulke Walwyn Kim Muir Challenge Cup Handicap Steeple Chase
3m abt 1½ f

Fourth Day – Friday 13th March (New Course)

The JCB Triumph Hurdle Race
2m abt 1 f
The Vincent O’Brien County Handicap Hurdle Race
2m abt 1f
The Albert Bartlett Novices’ Hurdle Race
abt 3m
The totesport Cheltenham Gold Cup Steeple Chase
3m abt 2 ½ f
The Christie’s Foxhunter Steeple Chase Challenge Cup
3m abt 2 ½ f

The Conditionals’ Hurdle (A Handicap)(0-140)
2m abt 4½ f

The Johnny Henderson Grand Annual Steeple Chase Challenge Cup
2m abt ½ f

I like the 1.30 start, too.

Note the Conditionals' Hurdle. They do need a race as the amateurs have several but the c/j's have to mix it with the big boys. Pity it's likely to be an overspill from the Coral Cup.

Still, should give a good betting opportunity for some shrewdies who can spot a good conditional/trainer combination.

The JCB Triumph Hurdle Race
2m abt 1 f
The Vincent O’Brien County Handicap Hurdle Race
2m abt 1f
The Albert Bartlett Novices’ Hurdle Race
abt 3m
The totesport Cheltenham Gold Cup Steeple Chase
3m abt 2 ½ f
The Christie’s Foxhunter Steeple Chase Challenge Cup
3m abt 2 ½ f

The Conditionals’ Hurdle (A Handicap)(0-140)
2m abt 4½ f

The Johnny Henderson Grand Annual Steeple Chase Challenge Cup
2m abt ½ f

I like this a lot. County Hurdle on CH4 and the Foxhunters relegated to fifth rather than fourth race of the day.

There's normally a decent sprint at Southwell on the Wednesday and a decent Lingfield card on the Friday. :)

I dont like the 1.30 start on the first three days at least as getting there can be a pain if a flight is delayed. Although in fairness, the Irish are fairly marginal to the festival. The big race moved to 4th is great, but I can't imagine a festival that doesn't end with the County Hurdle.

Shouldn't be too much of a rush Clive. I've made a 12.30 meeting with forumites coming from St. Helens (Central to Wigan, Wigan to Birmingham, Birmingham to Cheltenham and then a bus to the racecourse). Might mean setting off at 9am though.

Although in fairness, the Irish are fairly marginal to the festival. :confused:

The Irish MAKE the Festival! Otherwise it would be another typical, stuffy, up-itself Cheltenham meeting. i.e. Good horses, snotty people.

I had the misfortune to move from the far north of Scotland and grew up here, so I know what they are like. The Irish at Cheltenham are a breath of fresh air.

(I only stay for the racing!)

I have a feeling An Cappal was being a touch sarcastic, Redhead!

Dissapointed the Supreme/Arkle/Champion trinity has been broken TBH. The imbalance between the first two days and the last two is more apparent than ever IMO..

The Irish MAKE the Festival! Otherwise it would be another typical, stuffy, up-itself Cheltenham meeting. i.e. Good horses, snotty people

The biggest contingent at every festival are the brummies. They are hardly stuffy and up themselves...

Irish stamp...yes...but we have a traditional pre race drink...which will now have to start earlier i suppose ....

I'm happy with the changes to the running order but don't like the earlier start, especially on the days when there are only six races.

Race Titles..

Yes, it's an interesting rejig of the Festival but I think it's time to look at some of these fuddy-duddy old race titles.

MY idea of a good final day would be this:

1.30: The Disappointing Overrated Handicappers of 2009-10 Hurdle

2.05: The Tony Martin Plot Handicap Hurdle

2.40: "He's Bred to Jump a Fence, anything he does over hurdles is a bonus" Novices' Hurdle

3.20: Paul Nicholls Owners Invitational Chase

4.00: The "it won a point at Ballybunnion but Enda Bolger thinks it's decent because he's put his son on it" Chase

4.40: "Can I have a lift in your helicopter, Ruby ?" Hurdle for aspiring commuting jockeys.

5.15: "Is it time to go home, I've booked a table at the Star of India for 5.30 ?" Handicap chase:D

5.15 Wednesday: The I've Been Told 8 Willie Mullins Nags Will Win This Race- Why Are None of Them Running Champion Bumper

Last edited:
The biggest contingent at every festival are the brummies. They are hardly stuffy and up themselves...

True, but like most English they keep to their own groups, unlike most of the Irish who will talk to anyone.

Missed AC's sarcasm due to overdose of it in office yesterday (boss killed a nurse then got slaughtered by his missis).

Seem to remember Edward saying that the early start was to allow everyone to get their flights/trains home in good time, but it also seems that more people will have to have their lunch at the track.

Wonder why they've made the Grand Annual the last race of the meeting?

PS - did anyone catch Edward on TV talking about the Robins' new stadium being built next door? If they build a dog track as well, we can party all night without having to go into town!

Back