Super Sunday

Financially I got some kicking today-saw a weekend of nice profit substantially washed away.Time to turn off the laptop and freshen up for next weekend.

Cousin Vinny looked badly in needed today's run....sure to come on really well for that run after jumping really well on his debut.

Hurricane Fly needs to brush up his jumping a bit but I think much of that was down to the lack of early pace.

Tranquil Sea was bitterly disappointing, connections were very disappointed with him. Forpaddytheplaster looked as though he is soft or is not getting home in these races...I would try dropping him to two miles in the Leopardstown Arkle. Trafford Lad is a really solid horse though and two out his stamina was always going to save him.

Despite the rather farcical early pace, the front three in the Royal Bond are all seriously exciting prospects. No doubt Donna's Palm will be better suited by a stronger gallop, but I'd be very much of the opinion that the same applies to the two Mullins horses as well.

Very impressed by how well Cousin Vinny took to hurldes; was big and bold at virtually every flight (except the first and last that is!) and with the run under his belt he looks sure to improve.

Tranquil Sea was very dissapointing in the Drinmore. Never looked to be jumping as well as at Cork and was missing fences from early on. Made a fairly bad mistake seven out but was beaten in a matter of strides turning in, and no surprise to hear word after the race that he returned lame.

Winner is a lovely horse and will only improve for a step up to three miles IMO. Never been a fan of Forpadydeplasterer tbh, and once again I thought his attitude looked a touch suspect in the straight (particularly between the second and third last). The relative proximity of Rare Dog also hardly covers the form in glory either!

Courtesy of Oddschecker:

Supreme Novices Hurdle:

Cousin Vinny: 6/1
Hurricane Fly: 12/1
Donnas Palm: 20/1

My hairy arse.

I don't think the proximity of Rare Bob is an issue. I thought he was a solid each way bet [after timing alert, but I didnt have a bet on!] - he's a reliable yardstick, probably likely to run like that in a good race as well as a bad one. I was happy to see the winner power away from him - to me that's a compliment to how Trafford had progressed. I think he's a good horse.

I don't think I have ever seen a 3YO horse hurdle as fast and economically as the winner of the first, Tharawaat. Am I overhyping things?

Also worth pointing out how much better Brave Inca has travelled in his races when the likes of Walsh and Russell has ridden him. McCoy is a fine jockey (obviously) but I can never remember BI travelling as well for him as he has done on Sunday or previously for Walsh.

I have long stated that Brave Inca is not a slow horse as plenty think and McCoy's style made him look like that.

I don't think I have ever seen a 3YO horse hurdle as fast and economically as the winner of the first, Tharawaat. Am I overhyping things?

Impressive alright, but they went no pace and he very much had things his own way at the head of affairs.

That said, he was in a different league.

I don't think the proximity of Rare Bob is an issue. I thought he was a solid each way bet [after timing alert, but I didnt have a bet on!] - he's a reliable yardstick, probably likely to run like that in a good race as well as a bad one. I was happy to see the winner power away from him - to me that's a compliment to how Trafford had progressed. I think he's a good horse.

Probably more of a knock to Forpadydeplasterer's run, Bobbyjo, as Trafford Lad has readily improved on the collateral form that saw him scramble home by a neck on his chasing debut.

Russell gave Brave Inca a sound ride yesterday alright Gal, but I'm not sure I would attribute the way he travelled primarily down to the change of jockey; he seems to have benefitted no end from his break.

Supreme prices look absurd, don't they?

What odds on Hurricane Fly running in the Supreme, and Cousin Vinny in the Sun Alliance. Surely, the good bumper horse is more likely to be a stayer....

What odds on Hurricane Fly running in the Supreme, and Cousin Vinny in the Sun Alliance. Surely, the good bumper horse is more likely to be a stayer....

Thats how I see it panning out, and I had a few quid on Hurricane Fly for the Supreme at 36s last week.. I'd say the trips to France over 2m4 were taken in because of the prize money (Mullins one of the few trainers from these waters that travel regularly), and because there weren't that many other options.

Russell gave Brave Inca a sound ride yesterday alright Gal, but I'm not sure I would attribute the way he travelled primarily down to the change of jockey; he seems to have benefitted no end from his break.

The first time McCoy rode Inca was in the Emo Oil Champion hurdle at Punchetown after he had fallen at Aintree. McCoy came up with a strategy to beat Harchi. Everyone expected him to go fast to beat the speed out of Harchi. McCoy said no, he would go slow as they wouldn't expect that. Then he would wave his arms vigorously three out, look in troule. But not to worry, he'd still be cruising. Carberry would think he had it won at the last but McCoy said he would have plenty in the tank. A masterful ride and Ruby has since confirmed that McCoy rides many jocks to sleep this way, making jocks think he is going worse than he is.

Colm epxlained the difference in the way they ride. Carberry and Ruby kick with their legs so they look like they are going better than they actually are. McCoy pushes with his shoulders and arms and not with his legs. So you could have two replica horses coming down to the last with Ruby and McCoy on and they will be travelling differently. McCoy will be pushing and Ruby will be cruising. I didn't realise it myself until they rode for us and McCoy used to come in and say there was plenty left.....despite the fact he looked flat out. Russell rides in a similar way.

However, it is wort noting that when I said he did a great piece of work before the Hattons it was also noticeable that he travelled well in that gallop which i unusual for him. So it could be that the break has freshened him up but the actual jocks style makes a huge difference. The best he has ever travelled were at Aintree, Ruby's first ride on him in the Crimbo hurdle and Sunday.

I think Cousin Vinny was a tad disappointing in this race, given the fact that the pace was slow and his speed should have come into it.

I cannot believe that I am saying that about a horse who made a debut in a Grade 1 and finished placed.

I think HF will have the better season.

I think Cousin Vinny was a tad disappointing in this race, given the fact that the pace was slow and his speed should have come into it.

I cannot believe that I am saying that about a horse who made a debut in a Grade 1 and finished placed.

I think HF will have the better season.

Given that it was a toss up between running Cousin Vinny in a 2 mile maiden hurdle the day before and the Grade 1 until declaration stage and that he drifted on course and that the trainer seemed to single Cousin Vinny out above the winner....I think all that tells you how much was expected of him on the day.

In fairness Mullins was spot on in his evaluation.In my opinion bumper horses in general are overrated and Cousin Vinny did get an easy time with an uncontested lead.Half the country thinks he is a worthy favourite for the festival and he could be incredibly short if he runs in a maiden hurdle.

In fairness Mullins was spot on in his evaluation.In my opinion bumper horses in general are overrated and Cousin Vinny did get an easy time with an uncontested lead.Half the country thinks he is a worthy favourite for the festival and he could be incredibly short if he runs in a maiden hurdle.

I could see why you would want to lay him if he took on Hurricane Fly again...but you would be made to take him on in a maiden hurdle (he probably will stick to graded company now anyway).

I completely disagree with you on that, Gal.

He would probably be around 6/4 in an average Leopadstown Christmas maiden. You'd have 20 horses running against him, including a few likely Tartars. It was a good performance, but he got the run of the race from the front and I think he is sure to be overbet the next time.

The media and the trainer had a hard on for the performance.

I completely disagree with you on that, Gal.

He would probably be around 6/4 in an average Leopadstown Christmas maiden. You'd have 20 horses running against him, including a few likely Tartars. It was a good performance, but he got the run of the race from the front and I think he is sure to be overbet the next time.

The media and the trainer had a hard on for the performance.

The media had a hard on because the trainer talked more about Cousin Vinny after the race than he did about his winner. Like I said, it was planned for the horse to run in the maiden hurdle the day before but they only ran him in the Grade 1 simply because it cut up. Horse looked in need of the run in the parade ring, drifted like a barge and had to make his own running on his debut against some smart and experienced novices. Mullins is not one to get too excited, but you could clearly see he was thrilled to bits with the horse.

If he turns up in a maiden at Leopardstown he will be 4/6...not 6/4.

Last edited:
Back