Tatenen

What is certain is that the opposition did not gift Tatanen a twenty four length start, nor was he twenty four lengths clear at the top of the hill or heading to two out.

He is very much a racehorse, a very athletic, fluent and enthusiastic mover who seems to float over or through the ground with very little effort whilst the opposition in his race, as did many other horses over the weekend, found it very hard work quite early on. I dont believe that yesterdays rivals could possibly have pressured Tatanen at any stage as even after two fences it was clear he was in a different class.

The quality of the opposition is relevant though, isn't it.

Crescent Island is not a 2-miler, and never likely to be able to lay-up with the pace, and the form of Straw Bear's Exeter race has only been franked by the fourth, and that was over a half-mile further. It's quite possible that Straw bear is simply not much cop as a novice chaser.

No doubting it was a good-looking performance by Tatenen on Saturday, but...........what did he beat?

he beat a horse that was good enough to be an 11/4 chance in the market...his odds of 8/13 suggested an easy win was expected of course..but the fact he hammered the next best in the betting suggests it was a decent performance.

I dont think FTP improved , the form was there to see, with financial Reward also winning at Limerick.

Tatenen still favourite for the Arkle.

I see Ebaziyan entered in a beginners chase on Monday at Leopardstown. Other than him its hard to see too many emerge that have not raced already.

I noticed Askazar is 16/1 in the betting. has a set back and was bitterly disappointing in the Ladbroke. Might he take the Well Chief route?

Glad I've seen the race Gal, your brief analysis suggested Tatenen was well beaten.:p Really good performances from the pair of them, both battled really well and the race decided on the nod or near as dammit. Tatenen certainly didn't flinch when challenged or when not allowed to lead. Be interesting to see if he finds any improvement with age and experience. He won't have the 11lbs in March will he. By fair and square I assume you meant "no excuses". Cooldine and the other one beaten fair and square :cool:

Glad I've seen the race Gal, your brief analysis suggested Tatenen was well beaten.:p Really good performances from the pair of them, both battled really well and the race decided on the nod or near as dammit. Tatenen certainly didn't flinch when challenged or when not allowed to lead. Be interesting to see if he finds any improvement with age and experience. He won't have the 11lbs in March will he. By fair and square I assume you meant "no excuses". Cooldine and the other one beaten fair and square :cool:

Yep, if Cooldine ran in the same conditions next time out he would not have a chance. The difference of course being we will never see Cooldine over 2 miles again.

Where as we will see Tatenen in the same type of race, against the same type of horse but with less of an allowance. Was he not beaten fair or square? Did I suggest anywhere that he was well beaten?

Last edited:
Tatenen is entitled to improve for today's run. Much more use running him in the race today than a tin pot novice in the UK.

Tatenen goes straight to Cheltenham according to Sportinglife. Nicholls says he is "a better horse fresh".

Winds ops and now better fresh.....

Last edited:
Follow the plan and Jayo look like worthy challengers at this point. Who do others like.........at this point ....

Jayo jumped and travelled superbly at Naas.. Willie Mullins his trainer was hugely enthusiastic afterwards. .he'll do for me at this stage.:cool:

I'd be surprised if Jayo is a genuine Grade 1 2 miler (though he might not need be for this years renewal).

Back