The 2014 Punchestown Festival

This is the Punchestown thread however since it contains several posts re AP's riding of Jezki I'm posting re that debate on here. It is a debate and everyone is entitled to an opinion but let's not avoid facts.

Jezki's hurdling career encompasses 12 race of which he has won 9.
Geraghty has a 5/5 record on the horse
Robbie Power has a 1/2 record being beaten by CF and MTOY in the Supreme
AP has ridden Jezki 5 times and he has been beaten twice, both times against HF.

AP yesterday, rode a fine, well judged race on Jezki. one that you would expect from a talented multi Champion jockey. However that proves nothing about the rides he gave the horse in defeat earlier this season.
I have prefaced earlier comments with the phrase 'he might well have been following instructions' and iirc have not said he would have beaten the Fly. The point I make is that in those 2 races he has not given Jezki the optimum chance of winning. In of one them, as I see it, he puts the horse behind horses as the Fly starts his run.

Given the above I would rather have Geraghty on the horse than AP.

He is clearly a much better horse on better ground TS - that and the hood explains his much better runs this spring not Geraghty .

And Jezki stays beyond 2m so many options from him.

She will probably start him at Downroyal and then onto one of the good graded Irish pre Xmas hurdles.

Id say he dictated more than nicked. Horse won very comfortably

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top class jockeys in a Grade 1 and they let Walsh slip the field before the turn. ( yes, I was on fox norton, but the point is valid).
5 Grade 1 for Mullins/Walsh -Everything that's wrong with racing. Lost it's pluralism.

Your man on Fox Norton was trying to get his mount into the race long before the home turn and did nothing but run past a few beaten horses as did the 2nd.

Ferrari V Datsun Sunny would be my verdict..........classy looking animal with a big future as G points out

Top class jockeys in a Grade 1 and they let Walsh slip the field before the turn. ( yes, I was on fox norton, but the point is valid).
5 Grade 1 for Mullins/Walsh -Everything that's wrong with racing. Lost it's pluralism.

Don't mean to pounce on thisbut I had just been thinking that this season was a return to the pluralism of jump racing that seems to appeal to many.

Gold cup - jim Cullotty
Grand national - dr. Newland
Champion chase - gary moore
Champion hurdle - jessie harrington

Back