The 2016 Grand National

Early days but I've taken the 40/1 on Holywell and 50s on Buywise (missed the 66/1)
I have a feeling this is what Holywells season is being geared around, a genuine springtime horse with a plummeting mark who will stay all day.
Buywise seemed to have brushed his jumping up at Doncaster and also displayed reserves of stamina we didn't know he had, Evan Williams said after the race that he could turn out to be a real stayer and this should be the race for him.

I'm not sure I could fancy either Holywell or Buywise at this stage, but i'd have to put Holywell some way ahead of Buywise at this stage.

Buywise might be the type that could run well but he's likely to get the same ride as State Of Play who, imo, should have a Grand national on his CV.

I would have some concerns about Holywell's getting round but having not backed Maori Venture, Rhyme N Reason and Royal Athlete on account of their jumping, I've never since let that concern put me off. Sometime the Grand National just makes them jump (notwithstanding the fact that Rhyme N Reason did the splits at halfway and won the race despite a career-ending injury).

Once I get the chance to go through the weights, I'd be pretty confident of alighting on something both better-handicapped and more suited to the race than either of these two.

I too like the look of Holywell too. It looks to me as though Jonjo has done all he can to give him a really nice mark probably with this race in mind. Shuthtefrontdoor will only carry 10st 12lb's as well. The third I've backed is Triolo D'alene. All will be more than half their current prices if lining up, and the latter two have the race as a stated target.

I would back Alvarado again but not if Maloney is riding him. He should have at least won one of the last two Nationals but for him.

That's pretty much what I was saying re State Of Play.

But I said 'a' National rather than 'at least one' as winning one wold see him handicapped out of a second.

Red Rum.jpg
Hope this doesn't infringe copyright etc but this was on the Donald McCain FB page and think it is a great picture: Red Rum on the right and a very young Donald McCain junior on Gelnkiln on the left as one looks.

11st 10lb Many Clouds
11-9 Don Poli
11-8 Silviniaco Conti
11-7 Carlingford Lough
11-6 Valseur Lido
11-5 Houblon Des Obeaux
11-4 First Lieutenant
11-3 Foxrock, Wonderful Charm
11-2 Ballynagour, Third Intention
11-1 Gilgamboa, Lord Windermere, O’Faolains Boy, On His Own, Sam Winner
11-0 The Druids Nephew, Triolo D’Alene, Wounded Warrior
10-13 Rocky Creek, Roi Du Mee, Sir Des Champs
10-12 Holywell
10-11 Shutthefrontdoor, Soll
10-10 Aachen, Boston Bob, Buywise, Turban
10-9 Double Ross, Morning Assembly
10-8 Gallant Oscar, Goonyella, Le Reve, Long Run, Onenightinvienna, The Last Samuri, Ucello Conti, Unioniste
10-7 Bear’s Affair, Kruzhlinin, Rule The World
10-6 Ballycasey, Black Thunder, Hadrian’s Approach, Just A Par, Katenko, Living Next Door, Thunder And Roses, Vics Canvas
10-5 Katkeau, Mendip Express, Pendra, Saint Are, Spring Heeled, Vieux Lion Rouge
10-4 Home Farm, Mon Parrain, The Romford Pele
10-3 Bishops Road, Knock House, Open Hearted, Shotgun Paddy
10-2 Alvarado, Highland Lodge, Maggio, Perfect Candidate, Pineau De Re, Present View
10-1 Bally Beaufort, Benbens, Cause Of Causes, Double Seven, Midnight Prayer, Mountainous, Royale Knight
10-0 Bless The Wings, Broadway Buffalo, Corrin Wood, Dare To Endeavour, Emperor’s Choice, Splash Of Ginge, Ziga Boy
9-13 Gas Line Boy, Gray Hession, Milborough
9-12 Bob Ford, Night In Milan, Our Father, Rogue Angel, Russe Blanc, Seabass
9-11 Firebird Flyer, Mr Moonshine, Operating, Paint The Clouds
9-10 Big Water
9-9 Benvolio, Cogry, No Secrets, Summery Justice
9-8 Amigo, Competitive Edge, Golden Chieftain
9-7 Doing Fine, Dromnea, Golden Wonder, Indian Castle, Rivage D’Or, Standing Ovation
9-6 Ikorodu Road, Ned Stark, Rathlin, Rigadin De Beauchene, Wyck Hill
9-4 Portrait King, Woodford County
9-3 Any Currency, Dark Lover, Seebright
9-2 Godsmejudge, Saroque, Tour Des Champs
9-1 Aerlite Supreme, Financial Climate, Harry The Viking

This made me guffaw

[TABLE="class: tweet"]
<TBODY>[TR="class: tweet-header"]
[TD="class: user-info"]johnn @RealJohnNolan
[/TD]
[TD="class: timestamp"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: tweet-container"]
[TD="class: tweet-content, colspan: 2"]Latest news from Grand National weights: Clod Dooval carries 21st after polishing off five starters.

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: meta-and-actions, colspan: 2"][/TD]
[/TR]
</TBODY>[/TABLE]

Did you also create a big pile of used-tenners in your garden and set fire to it?

Its purely on price. I'll let geniuses like you traipse around the forum for the winter talking through your hole beating people over the head with your opinions.

So who will Segal stick up for it tomorrow?

No. This was purely people looking at the weights and thinking he was the obvious one to shorten.

A horse that went off 8/1 in a Gold Cup less than a year ago dropped half a stone in the ratings and trained by the biggest job trainer of them all. All we need now is to hear JP has bought it.

33/1?

Cheers.

Last edited:
No. This was purely people looking at the weights and thinking he was the obvious one to shorten.

A horse that went off 8/1 in a Gold Cup less than a year ago dropped half a stone in the ratings and trained by the biggest job trainer of them all. All we need now is to hear JP has bought it.

33/1?

Cheers.

I thought I would ask the question. I too helped myself to that earlier rightly or wrongly. Still get it at BF and BB but shorter everywhere else.

He'll stick up 2. The other will be ?

Last edited:
Shutthefrontdoor off 10-11 for me - handicapper appears to have taken the Denman Chase rather literally !

Shutthefrontdoor off 10-11 for me - handicapper appears to have taken the Denman Chase rather literally !

Quote from Saturday’s Racing Post - Tony McCoy

“But when I school a nice horse and know somebody else will on board in a race then a little bit of the yearning comes back. For example, I put Shutthefrontdoor through his paces on the gallops the other day and I ended up wishing I could ride him in the Grand National again come April”.

Last edited:
Everything above 11st looks easily opposable this year. I've got to say Holywell stood out for me as well. That French sounding one for Henderson looks a fair shout.

Back