The 2016 Punchestown Festival

I wonder if UDS goes to Sandown will Henry be tempted to hold Special Tiara back for Punchestown. Would make sense.

The sponsors have a massive rick in the Champion Chase. They have Gods Own at 14/1 e/w 3 places when he's 6s elsewhere. How the fook can he be that price and Top Gamble 4s (as much as I like the Kerry Lee horse) ?

Tom George has his horses in fantastic form and pretty much confirmed he'd be coming here after his win last week.

This is going to cut up as usual with Meade stating Smashing will go to the Gold Cup and that leaves the dangers as Simonsig (yeah right !), Top Gamble, Felix Yonger, Special Tiara and Un De Sceaux

At least one of the last named two will go to Sandown so can anybody really see Gods Own failing to place ?

Special Tiara has never looked at his best here so I reckon he'll be in Esher and Felix Yonger has been beaten by Gods Own more than once, including in the novice race at this meeting.

If Un De Sceaux heads for the Celebration too in search of UK prize money then I reckon Gods Own could well go off favourite in a race that may only pay 2 places on the day.

The sponsors have a massive rick in the Champion Chase. They have Gods Own at 14/1 e/w 3 places when he's 6s elsewhere. How the fook can he be that price and Top Gamble 4s (as much as I like the Kerry Lee horse) ?

Tom George has his horses in fantastic form and pretty much confirmed he'd be coming here after his win last week.

This is going to cut up as usual with Meade stating Smashing will go to the Gold Cup and that leaves the dangers as Simonsig (yeah right !), Top Gamble, Felix Yonger, Special Tiara and Un De Sceaux

At least one of the last named two will go to Sandown so can anybody really see Gods Own failing to place ?

Special Tiara has never looked at his best here so I reckon he'll be in Esher and Felix Yonger has been beaten by Gods Own more than once, including in the novice race at this meeting.

If Un De Sceaux heads for the Celebration too in search of UK prize money then I reckon Gods Own could well go off favourite in a race that may only pay 2 places on the day.

Totally agree with this. My boyles a/c is long dead, but I just asked my mate to try, and they would lay him the princely sum of £1.20ew.

Sprinter is still in training and not for the fun of it. IMO UDS won't come within a million miles of Sandown if Nicky decides to go. WPM doesn't need to win at Sandown to clinch the title he's 1/8 and already won the thing. PN needs a miracle maybe 2.

Even if Sprinter doesn't go why would WPM want to take Special Tiara on when he can hack round Punchy and win by 5 lengths from Gods Own...For wilson :0)

Douvan is entered for the Ryanair but is also entered in the 3 miler which is a huge indication of what they have in mind for the future. It seems such a waste of talent if they don't at least go for the King George 2017 but reading through the lines I reckon they intend running in the race this year with Ruby on board. No harm done if he doesn't stay as he can always go take on Sprinter Sacre in March. He's now rated 180p SS was 184 but he had the horses behind him to push him up there. Looking at the netries Douvan would have to win by 2 fences to go 184 against that lot.

Look like another great Punchestown card with Cue Card taking on DC..lotta crap about Vautour running against them surely?..the media sales team selling you a lie I reckon maybe he will go Champion Chase and UDS will come over? Confusing...should have entered Vautour at Sandown that would ahve been more interesting than SS kicking UDS into touch again

Despite not looking like it Don Cossack has a bigger engine that Cue Card. He's a very deceptive horse and it's what you think you see is not what you get.
He doesn't seem to be doing anything then suddenly he's 4 lengths clear and you could swear it must be the other horse going backwards.

I reckon he'll have too much toe for Cue Card but it's sure to be a cracker if it happens.

Last edited:
http://wpmullins.com/punchestown-festival-preview/

Not a mention of UDS but does say Twinlight is being aimed at the Champion Chase

I reckon he's waiting to see what happens at Ayr and if Sprinter goes to Sandown which he will before committing himself. Very strange in an interview like the above his best 2 mile chaser doesn't get a mention . Hopefully it's not because he's not running him at all

Last edited:
Looks like :adore: Sprinter Sacre WILL go to Sandown if decent ground is afoot. I can't see WPM sending UDS unless it is a bog and it would be bordering on stupidity when the Boylesport Champion Chase looks like being a made easier if Special Tiara goes to Sandown like Henry D said a while back he will.

If I am correct then 11/10 looks a much better bet for Sprinter to beat Special Tiara than backing UDS at 8/11 who despite Special Tiara not running he still has Gods Own Top Gamble and Simonsig as possible if unlikely dangers...seems like bookies are praying UDS will go Sandown but think he'll stay at home.

There's nothing left on Betfair there was 305 pounds but after a quick visit there's currently blank spaces in both back and lay. UDS is available at 6/4 but no takers yet.

Will be having some evens later today when the boys holding bookies accounts wake up which could be quite a while as it is new Year here.

So get on before I do you yellow bellied lily livered would be state of the art punters :lol: but you better pray it don't rain

Last edited:
Perp, please be wary should you hook-up with Eddie in Punchestown.

He is an absolutely delightful fellow......which makes me suspicious as fu*ck.

:lol:

Vautor has been put up by both Paddy Power and The sponsor Boylesport as the new favourite for the Champion Chase and UDS has been put up at 2/1 by the latter while Paddy Powers are no offers.

If Vautour is going for the race it's a clear indication, to me at least, that Douvan is going to be stepped up in trip asap.

Without saying as much today it was reported, as I suspected, that WPM is waiting until after Ayr to see what he needs to win the Title. Should PN win some good races and WPM wins nothing he will send UDS over if he doesn't he'll go the easy route and stay in Ireland. My bet is the only thing that could change that is really bad weather that sees SS missing Sandown................have backed Sprinter AP it looks like a long wait to see if I've done my cash or not.

Last edited:
If you do the sums, both PP and Boylesports are running a book at between 180% and 200% and, taking out Vautour, between 130% and 135% so they're not exactly taking a huge punt. The theory about Willie's plans for UK runners is spot on though so the picture will be a lot clearer after today. Fair play for taking an early view.

I thought Mullins made it plain in his RP column that whether UDS came for the Champion Chase depended on whether Sprinter was running .

Vroom Vroum Mag is coming over to take on The New One in the 2m 5f hurdle .

Shame Don Poli isn't entered in the Whitbread or whatever it is called nowadays - race is made for him .

He has horses entered at Perth, Taunton, Warwick and Sandown but most of them will only run if necessary. Certainly, the better ones have Punchestown as the preferred option.

Good to see more than a few heading over to Ireland for Punchestown I am amazed mainland trainers don't cross the Irish Sea more often.

Hard to believe but Champion jockey Richard Johnson has ridden in Ireland once this season :blink: That said he earns about 3k a month more than Ruby Walsh, retainers aside.

As a matter of interest Barry Geraghty has earned about 100k less this season than he did when with NJH 3 years ago and missed Sprinter's comeback.

I wonder how he feels, I hear he's cancelled Xmas;).....Hope he got himself a nice retainer.

Last edited:
Back