The 2016 Punchestown Festival

She's a hype horse with reflected glory from Annie Power. I'd prefer Identity Thief over the Tent though.

I want to back Disko in the novice hurdle but Jer's Girl get's a ridiculous weight allowance. The sex part of that is fine, the age part - **** off.

Sure enough she's a danger to all with that allowance but any value in her price has long gone (as short as 6/4 in places now) so I'll be taking her on.

Hendo's horses are running well this week and O O Seven ran deplorably in last year's Cheltenham bumper so maybe his Neptune run could be accredited to him disliking the place. He wouldn't be the first horse to put a bad run there behind him and he'll appreciate the extra juice in the ground from the overnight/daytime rain. 8/1 is a nice enough price if I'm right.

Only one ten year old (Moscow Flyer) has won the Tingle Creek in forty odd years, who was also one of only two eleven year olds to win the QMCC over the same period. I can't help but think Sprinter's best days are behind him and that next season Nicky may find it harder to achieve those levels again. Will be some sight to see Douvan tackling the railway fences in a Tingle Creek if that's the route Mullins sends him.

Ye but only one horse could be spoken about in the same breath as Arkle in over 40years.

But for his heart problem there is little doubt Sprinter Sacre would have gone through the last 4 seasons unbeaten. The subs Dodging Bullets and Sire De Grugy would have been easy picking for him despite his past ailment and UDS who has also failed to beat him this season is most likely better than either of those ever were.

Age does catch up but should Douvan bypass the 2 mile races next season there's nothing out there good enough to give Sprinter a race never mind beat him.

Avoid Douvan early doors and he'll win enough to justify him being kept in training........

Last edited:
Don't miss Jer's Girl and then you can stop moaning if she pisses up.:lol:

Backing against McManus Bolger and Carberry is bad for your health but at the prices Paint the Clouds ew could be the smart bet

He missed the big race at Sandown the other day when he was fancied. He's only had 2 recent run so should still be a fresh horse.

I think he might just turn over the favourite.

dutched MTOY and Identity Thief here (3/1 and 11/2)

VVM might be great but she's awfully short at odds on

Nowhere left for MTOY to go I'd be surprised if they keep him in training if he picks up as much as a bruised foot next season.

Wish Ruby had told us before the race that they thought they might be running the wrong mare at Cheltenham:)

Where to now? She obviously isn't as good as Faugheen or Annie Power and Apple Jade could be anything.

The obvious race for VVM is probably the World Hurdle but she has fencing experience so they could even go Gold Cup in March????

Very nice from Jer's girl there even nicer that I got 7/4 at 5.55

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simon will be writing about you in the morning Viking :)

Plenty for him to write about if he was there JP must have had a lump on here the way the betting went

Desoto County out tomorrow. Big field so the price is decentish, he was outpaced round the final bend at Fairyhouse and so I think the step up in trip will suit - I also like the booking of young Kennedy.

Sent from my MediaPad M1 8.0 using Tapatalk

Desoto County out tomorrow. Big field so the price is decentish, he was outpaced round the final bend at Fairyhouse and so I think the step up in trip will suit - I also like the booking of young Kennedy.

Sent from my MediaPad M1 8.0 using Tapatalk
8/1 5 places can't be passed up!!

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

Saw very little of the racing at Punchestown this year. Busy with a few things that couldn't be avoided. Felt like a tame enough end to the season.

The monster that is Cheltenham really dwarfes the sport.

Last edited:
Saw very little of the racing at Punchestown this year. Busy with a few things that couldn't be avoided. Felt like a tame enough end to the season.

The monster that is Cheltenham really dwarfes the sport.

Tame is the right word for it
Vroom vroom mag tussling with identity thief for the 2m hurdling crown sort of summed it up for me
Cheltenham is a behemoth and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Apple jade and Douvan highlights for me.

**** gold cup, 2m and champ hurdle.

I don't generally find juveniles of any interest but the mare strikes me as having a bit of class. Aintree hurdle maybe. Am sure she can step up

I find it extremely difficult to put a handle on Apple Jade but 14sec above average for her race was 8 sec faster than any other winner on the day makes her very useful.

However you would expect a Grade 1 to hold that position. Whiteout race was the second fastest but that was run in a bunch and turned into a sprint so the time may be good but hardly great.

What we do know is the Triumph hurdle was being hailed as a shockingly bad race this season so there has to be huge questions on what she has beaten.

WPM says she could be the best Juvenile he has trained but that wouldn't be hard. I am struggling to think of a top class 4yo Grade 1 winner he's had that ended up in a Champion Hurdle.

I'm sure someone will come up with something or not but either way she's a zillion miles away from running in a Cheltenham Champion Hurdle never mind winning one.

Could as you suggest be a Aintree type but even that is along way off.

Just underlines how difficult it is to run horses at all 3 spring festivals. Those who were upset by VVM at Sandown might like to reflect on the number of horses that Mullins, against his normal practice, took to Aintree and who ran below par here. I believe that Punchestown are looking at running a week later next year which may help.

Quite a challenge there..Ascot Hurdle Christmas Hurdle Champion Hurdle Aintree Hurdle and Punchestown Champion Hurdle.

A possible nap hand for Faugheen next season?

Won't be much horse racing posting now as I take my flat sabbatical.

Really good NH year.

I had a good festival. My ap book deserted me but I am failing to see any real value in ap betting these days.

Very good gold cup winner. Have always liked Annie so delighted for her. Douvan is frighteningly exciting. Sprinter sacre story is what makes NH special.

The dominance of the Mullins horses is causing us to miss some real proper clashes but it is an amazing racing era to be part of.

Some great posting on here as always,gold cup thread was the post of the year.

Next year will bring more impondrables. Hopefully Coneygree and the Don can return.

Seems no chance Annie goes novice chasing so maybe Faugheen will.

That's all for another day.

Good health to you all.

Last edited:
Time for me to go into hibernation as well apart from the odd golf post. It's been a cracking season and have to agree that the Gold Cup thread kept me entertained for quite some time.

Enjoy the summer all and roll on QIPCO Champions Day!

I enjoyed the NH season. First profitable Festival since Long Run's Gold Cup year but a net loss overall ( I could never recover from a very bad place lay on Goonyella in the Jock Grand National - my records run from Aintree-Aintree) I too have less invested overall ante-post on the Festival nowadays.

Back