The 2016 Punchestown Festival

Proper jockey on today as well!

Yes a vast improvement.

Going back to Vautour I am reminded that after his Ryanair win the idiot doing the close up in the RP announced that he almost certainly would have won the Champion Chase . At that time it was perfectly arguable that he could have done so but almost certainly was idiotic - now it looks spectacularly idiotic .

I think Vautour is immensely better than he showed yesterday

Am hoping things just haven't fired for him lately.

I do have a fear with some of the top class french horse that when they go off the boil it can be a sharp descent

A summers grass for him

I think Vautour is immensely better than he showed yesterday

Am hoping things just haven't fired for him lately.

I do have a fear with some of the top class french horse that when they go off the boil it can be a sharp descent

A summers grass for him

Not sure he is immensely better than that over 2 miles . Hurtling along at 2 miles behind Special Tiara is very different from making your own running over 2m 5f .

Do you think they'd go KG with him again granger?

I agree the John Durkan, Ryanair and Melling look perfect for him.

I'd have thought Douvan would be more likely to be sent over to Kempton.

I'm desperate to take on Supasundae over this trip at this track but there are doubts about everything. That said, I do think that Balko Des Flos could be overpriced based on the fact we know he'll appreciate the trip and Mullins often goes into these races mob handed so it's interesting that he's only running the one.

In 2015 Bellshill was disappointing at Cheltenham, went on to finish a good second at Aintree before winning here. Well beaten at Cheltenham this year before being runner-up at Aintree and history has a chance of repeating itself today. At 5/2+ I'll take a chance that it does.

Moon Racer is a rank price for a horse who's had the troubles he has and I'd prefer to side with Bacardys who was pointed out by the trainer as one to follow at the start of the season.

A speculative e/w punt on Minella Berry in the first and win only on Rogue Trader in the penultimate race form the day's quintet of selections.

Last edited:
Yes a vast improvement.

Going back to Vautour I am reminded that after his Ryanair win the idiot doing the close up in the RP announced that he almost certainly would have won the Champion Chase . At that time it was perfectly arguable that he could have done so but almost certainly was idiotic - now it looks spectacularly idiotic .

Doctor please.

I want to see him try 3 miles. If he were mine I'd leave him in the Betfair and the Lexus and hope the ground was decent in at least one of them. Leop drains well.

Ruby confirming what most of us already suspected in todays' Irish Examiner:

Vautour found the two miles too sharp in the Champion Chase. I was going as fast as I wanted to, I couldn’t go any quicker, but he was staying on well. Yorkhill had been to Aintree and Cheltenham and it was just a case of this being one race too many.

I'd have thought Douvan would be more likely to be sent over to Kempton.

Florida Pearl kind of approach for him

Unless they are sending Douvan. they should really aim and train Vautour for the KG

The Melling has got to be at the latest when he will step Douvan up in trip.

When Tracy Piggott interviewed WPM after the Supreme he said" People were saying why is he running Douvan in that for he looks like a 3 miler" and added "Which he does"

I reckon WPM is champing at the bit to step him up.

The only question is will he take on Sprinter Sacre first or will UDS be asked to try again on his own.

Vautour 100% I agree needs to be kept at 2m2F to 2m6f where he's pretty much bombproof

Jesus Christ. Just seen the race, gutted R2R fell so I immediately go on Twitter as he didn't get up. I ******* type Road to Riches in the search box and Road to Riches RIP came up. He's ok though? WTF.

Oh, and he deffo would have won.

Just got back after a fantastic day over there

Lows were Cue Card not turning up and Jamie Codd's ride on Moonracer

Highs were Road to Riches getting up, Katie Walsh's ride on Blow by Blow and meeting Mrs Edgt. Thanks for the beer Eddie!

I love racing in Ireland as 90%+ of the crowd are knowledgeable & there for the racing unlike the UK. Love seeing 12/14 yr old lads around the parade ring with their racecard chatting about Ruby, Willie etc. Jumps racing very safe over there

Back