The 2017 Grand National

Like An Capall I've been backing Vicente for almost a year. Motivated by the advice of one of our Scottish correspondents I had a much needed uplift in my sparse betting funds from backing Vicente and others. Since then when ever I have benefitted from advice given on here by the likes of Irish Stamp, Slim Chance and the several contributors to the connections thread I've thrown a portion of winnings at Vicente. The superb input on here means I have in total a worthwhile ew bet on the horse. Could be a tidy sum generated by Forum posters. If it had been dependant on portions of my own efforts it would be a far smaller sum.
Also like AC l've gone for Ballynagour with O'Failains Boy as a long shot.. Definitely Red appeals and is ridden by a local jockey but I can't bring myself to back it.

I've heard Trevor Hemmings has 100k on Vicente. It doesn't help his chances but it certainly shows he's in good form.

I'm into Shantou Flyer for a real nice return. I like his novice form in grade company, and has been kept quiet & to shorter trips. Massively overpriced based on his from ties with Vicente & Saphir Du Rheu. Like everyone though, just needs to thrive at the fences & course, AND stay out of trouble!

Great race..all back safe and sound. Well done Ricko and Digger off the top of my head.

Fair do's , Cru. Well done. I actually tipped the horse up when it won at 14's at Warwick last time on the 'what are you backing thread', so I really should have followed it up. But I made the mistake of trying to pick the winner on the train home for The Festival (The Young Master)! Should have looked nearer the time. Anyways, no one likes a whinge or wind -bag...well done guys (and girls). Gordon Elliot wins it next year with Right down the middle!

Last edited:
Gordon Elliot wins it next year, Rightdownthmiddle
Entered in the Irish Nash on the 17th. Will not be 33s if he gets there on the day. Race comes quickly after today though, we'll see.

Last edited:
It's a fantastic race and spectacle and always will be and it's great to get the family involved in the game but I've come to the conclusion that for betting purposes the Grand National can kiss my ar*se from now on.

great race, even better another year of no fatalities. the sample size is still very small but the changes they've made seem to be having a positive effect

32 of the 40 jockeys in the Grand National have been referred to the BHA for approaching the tape before the flag was raised

I just backed Vieux Lion Rouge, One For Arthur &The Last Samuri based on three simple stats. :D

1 They all be placed at 3 miles 3 furlongs or futher. The National is the longest race in the UK, and this eliminated most runs last year but kept the winner. It also found 75% of the last 20 winners, so is a very useful guide. :thumbsup:

2 The National has the largest field in the UK, and I found a top 2 placings in a chase field of 16 or more runners a common feature amongst winners. Only 4 runners in past couple of decades didn't have this. However 2 of those did have a top 4 place. While one (Lord Gyllene ) was untried. :thumbsup:

3 Signs of improvement, or at least a sign of been able to handle it's weight. The first half is a career best RPR over chases in current season ( I use Racing Post Ratings because they consistent and I've access to a horse's full career, but any rating system will do if they meet both criteria ), the second part is the Official Ratings. If it's won with a higher or at least the same Official Ratings it has been set in the National then I know it has a chance of winning. :thumbsup:

Well done and cheers Neal, you called it nigh on 2 months back - I remember seeing this and someone else half mentioning OFA, as well as being impressed by his Warwick Win - these all nagged at the back of my mind to put a saver on @ 20s last month

Back