The 2021 Grand National

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
Having only access to three pages of the archive, I wasn't sure if there already was/is a thread for this season's National. If so, maybe a mod can merge this with it.

The entries aren't known yet and the weights won't be out until mid-February so spouting about what will win could amount to premature ejaculation.

However, I'm keen to debate the handicapping issue itself.

My comment on the other thread about the issue of handicapping for the National itself is nothing new, nor is my view on the matter and I'm aware of the opposing arguments.

I'm not sure we'll ever agree but I wanted to set out why I think Phil Smith was right in adapting the handicap for this one race, even if it wasn't for the reasons attributed to him, namely to compress the handicap in order to entice better horses to take part.

For me, it's the physics. And I am wary of expounding anything relating to the laws of physics, having been turfed out of the subject at the end of second year.

I altered my handicapping of the race some years before Phil Smith's initiative but it amounts to the same principle: the longer you are asked to perform a task the more difficult it becomes.

I often use the simplest comparison of all: the can of beans. If you hold out a can of beans at locked arm's length you might find it easy enough to hold it for 30-60 seconds, depending on your own level of fitness, but the longer you hold it the more strenuous it becomes. After some time that 1lb can of beans feels like it weighs a stone.

In racing, carrying weight over a distance becomes more strenuous the longer the distance.

Sprinters can race a couple of times a week because their efforts, despite being quite intense, are over in a short time. That's why in the big athletics events humans can be asked to run in two qualifying races on the same day. Qualifiers for the long-distance events are several days apart because the recovery time is longer.

The Grand National might not be appreciably longer nowadays than a few other races in the calendar but the fences, although smaller than they used to be, add to the physical effort required to negotiate the trip.

While it is safe to accept that a pound can equate to a length at the shorter NH distances, it does not make sense to allow a pound per length at three miles, less so at further.

I changed my methods over 20 years ago to allow for this and Raceform started doing the same thing about 10 year back, if memory serves.

Sometimes when I look at Timeform ratings I wonder if they still use a pound per length at all trips.

It struck me about ten years back that if I'm down to a half-pound per length in marathons, I shouldn't be adjusting at a pound per length before the race in order to find the best-handicapped. That was when I changed from a point per pound to a point and a half per pound.

It cast my ratings for the National in a whole new light, bringing the bottom weights higher up the table, which better reflected the idea of lower weights being advantaged in the race. It allowed me to quantify that advantage.

I still believe a well-handicapped horse carrying more than 11-0 can win a National, unlike some who get entrenched in stats that suggest it's almost impossible. Of course the laws of physics say it's more difficult - because it is - but that would assume that all are equally well(or badly)-handicapped.

That is why I support the idea of higher-class animals being allowed a couple of pounds in the ratings (and therefore the weights) for this race, not purely for the sake of attracting them into running; rather for bringing the task they face more in line with the laws of physics.

That's my head above the parapet.

Fire away :ninja:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Larson02.jpg
    Larson02.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 64
I'd dispute that sprinters can run twice in a week more eaaily. I would back a 1m 6f winner to win under a penalty but I wouldn't back a sprinter to do the same. I bet the stats would show it's far harder for sprinters to win twice in a week because it takes so much out of a horse.

I'd dispute that sprinters can run twice in a week more eaaily. I would back a 1m 6f winner to win under a penalty but I wouldn't back a sprinter to do the same. I bet the stats would show it's far harder for sprinters to win twice in a week because it takes so much out of a horse.

I think you'd have to take each case on its own merits, depending on how much effort either performance took. A 1m6f winner winning a jog-and-sprint will be much more likely to run to form again sooner than one that was on the edge of its comfort zone all the way before giving its all from the three pole.

Maybe sprinters are more looked after these days but I recall plenty of them appearing more than once within two to four days at festival meetings like the Scottish Circuit, Ayr Gold Cup meeting, etc. Chaplins Club, back in the day, seemed to run five or six times a month.

Mark Johnston has made no secret of the fact that he gets his horses fit by racing them then keeps them fit by racing them while just keeping them happy at home.

(At least that's what he says publicly...)

Last edited:

The sprinting analogy was for humans I think? We don’t really have ‘sprinting’ races for horses despite what we call a 5f race. A sprint for a horse would be 1-2f.

Yes, Cybrandian, it was but the principle is as Slim interprets it.

(You don't post often enough, by the way!)

I often use the simplest comparison of all: the can of beans. If you hold out a can of beans at locked arm's length you might find it easy enough to hold it for 30-60 seconds, depending on your own level of fitness, but the longer you hold it the more strenuous it becomes. After some time that 1lb can of beans feels like it weighs a stone.

In racing, carrying weight over a distance becomes more strenuous the longer the distance.

This takes me back to the idea that I have, of a lightweight jockey (weight in the saddle) gaining a few Lb's...especially over the longer distances.

I have been working on this for years, experimenting in excel with different weights for different distances. I use the curve that projects from the fastest times ridden by horses over the various distances... The curve itself is remarkably commensurate in the way it spaces out.

Stamina and ground conditions are other imponderables that alter the overall picture.

For all the time and effort, the Grand National, with its forty runners and 30 fences usually bottles down to that one un-measurable imponderable; Luck in running

Last edited:
I've had two different trainers tell me how much sprinters have taken out of them with a run but it's doesn't necessarily mean your theory would be wrong as sprinting is as extreme as 4 miles is.

For all the time and effort, the Grand National, with its forty runners and 30 fences usually bottles down to that one un-measurable imponderable; Luck in running

You need an element of luck in running in nearly every race (or at least to avoid bad luck) and while there is definitely more luck in running involved in the National, a horse isn't going to win if it's badly handicapped, unless we get a year like the Red Marauder year. Get as many well-handicapped horses on your side as you can at the best possible odds and offers and you can make money from the race nearly every year.

You need an element of luck in running in nearly every race (or at least to avoid bad luck) and while there is definitely more luck in running involved in the National, a horse isn't going to win if it's badly handicapped unless we get a year like the Red Marauder year. Get as many well-handicapped horses on your side as you can at the best possible odds and offers and you can make money from the race nearly every year.

As with any handicap!!!

You need an element of luck in running in nearly every race (or at least to avoid bad luck) and while there is definitely more luck in running involved in the National, a horse isn't going to win if it's badly handicapped, unless we get a year like the Red Marauder year. Get as many well-handicapped horses on your side as you can at the best possible odds and offers and you can make money from the race nearly every year.

The only downside to this is, half the field have been hiding their true mark until the weights are announced....meaning half are well handicapped...

I think the opening salvo has to be right, Desert, but isn’t the National just an extreme example of the handicapping dilemma for all sorts of reasons. Isn't it more difficult to carry weight in a quagmire than on fast going? Or on a severe, undulating course with a tough finish than on a flat one? Or by a light framed horse than a strongly built one? Etc,etc.

Surely the pounds per length formula can never be more than rough and ready and the handicap adjustment that results can only bring the horses closer together rather than making a perfect match. The skill of an analyst is in sharpening up the formula to take account of those nuances? Which is what you are doing so far as distance is concerned.

Last edited:
I think the opening salvo has to be right, Desert, but isn’t the National just an extreme example of the handicapping dilemma for all sorts of reasons. Isn't it more difficult to carry weight in a quagmire than on fast going? Or on a severe, undulating course with a tough finish than on a flat one? Or by a light-framed horse than a strongly built one? Etc, etc.

Surely the pounds per length formula can never be more than rough and ready and the handicap adjustment that results can only bring the horses closer together rather than making a perfect match. The skill of an analyst is in sharpening up the formula to take account of those nuances?

The data is widely available to prove what you are saying...

The worse the ground conditions, the least amount of finishers, similarly, the better the conditions, the more finishers!

Lighter framed horses do batter on flat tracks, big horses handle undulations better...

Last edited:
I think the opening salvo has to be right, Desert, but isn’t the National just an extreme example of the handicapping dilemma for all sorts of reasons. Isn't it more difficult to carry weight in a quagmire than on fast going? Or on a severe, undulating course with a tough finish than on a flat one? Or by a light framed horse than a strongly built one? Etc,etc.

Surely the pounds per length formula can never be more than rough and ready and the handicap adjustment that results can only bring the horses closer together rather than making a perfect match. The skill of an analyst is in sharpening up the formula to take account of those nuances? Which is what you are doing so far as distance is concerned.

Absolutely. I adjust/tweak my figures according to several variables I think might be at play, particularly the going.

Back