The 2021 Punchestown Festival Tues April 27th - Sat May 1st

Pesronally I would have Daragh O'Keefe, Danny Mullins and Simon Torrens on a horse ahead of any of the top five in GB and none of the three made the top seven in the final league table.

It’s an interesting debate. What are the key elements involved and do the best jockeys have them in equal measure?

Maybe:

Tactical awareness - right place at right time (and inhibiting opponents from doing the same)
Pace judgement - setting and/or finishing
Getting the best out of their horses - preferably by empathy!

It’s an interesting debate. What are the key elements involved and do the best jockeys have them in equal measure?

Maybe:

Tactical awareness - right place at right time (and inhibiting opponents from doing the same)
Pace judgement - setting and/or finishing
Getting the best out of their horses - preferably by empathy!

Yes. Watching a couple of the big handicaps yesterday I kept saying to myself either those [specific horses, too many to list] are non-triers out for a jog or the jockeys are tactically inept. Some were clearly trying but trying to come from too far back to have any chance.

Is Punchestown a tricky course? It looked to me like a lot of the horses didn't jump the fences well. Could it be down to the nature/topography of the track, siting of the fences, etc, or was it just poor horsemanship?

I admit it's the first time in my life I've actually studied for Punchestown hence my ignorance of the course. I thought my figures performed well over the meeting but it was a strange one to watch for the above reasons.

For tactical awareness and getting the best out of a horse through empathy Rachael Blackmore is the best around. Her judgement of pace is open to improvement, sometimes she is guilty of lying up with an overly fast pace. But she likes to be positive, and it often works brilliantly.

Paul Townend did not shine particularly at Cheltenham but horses run for him and he makes few errors in a pressure job.

But I think Jack Kennedy is the best jockey in Ireland.

Of the GB based jockeys Nico De Boinville and Harry Cobden are a cut above the rest.

For tactical awareness and getting the best out of a horse through empathy Rachael Blackmore is the best around. Her judgement of pace is open to improvement, sometimes she is guilty of lying up with an overly fast pace. But she likes to be positive, and it often works brilliantly.

Paul Townend did not shine particularly at Cheltenham but horses run for him and he makes few errors in a pressure job.

Of the GB based jockeys Nico De Boinville and Harry Cobden are a cut above the rest.

Jack Kennedy the best around for me also.

Rachel ran rings round Jack in the Triumph, though, starting in the right position and then keeping him well boxed in. Nonetheless, I’d agree he’s the tops atm, but he can feel Rachel’s breath on his neck.

In my opinion Rachel is the best judge of pace since Ruby.

THought how she got Envoi back jumping fluently after the first three jumps he put in during the week was top top class.

Chacun Pour Soi (c179 from c176)
Klassical Dream (h160 from h153)
Energumene (c169p from c163p)
Asterion Forlonge (c162 from c153)

Back