The Best A P O'Brien has ever trained

agree with tdk here gc was the best he has trained his style not appealing to everyone and perhaps never getting the full credit he deserved

think galileo hc hw and dt were also better than dom

He was an admirable horse but GC cannot be rated that close to Galileo or Hawk Wing. I wish he`d come up against Dubai Millennium in all his pomp. Total destruction would have ensued.

Seriously. I mean, if the internet had been around in the early 70s there would be numpties on forums saying Nijinsky was overated because he beat nowt. Anyone who denies DM his place in the hall of greatness is either hopelessly biased against Godolphin, can`t read a form book or is a nostalgia monkey. Or maybe a combination of all three.

Istabraq was the best horse that A P O'Brien ever trained. Of course he has had some small level of success with skinny legged ponies on the flat, but nothing else comes close.

Lots of money, but?

Well, in just 1 year, DoM has racked up win money of £900k+ -- unfortunately, he's only beaten horses that were in the same race -- :-)

(facetious comment removed)

Last edited:
His form over a mile is of course "important". Galileo or High Chaparral would not have been able to run to over 120 in a mile race. He also ran Dylan Thomas to under two lengths last year when clearly not himself.

DOM Gp1 Races

1m - 4423
1m2f - 42111
1m4f - 1

Azamour Gp1 Races

1m - 321
1m2f - 13415
1m4f - 13

Would Azamour feature in this list of Ballydoyle greats had he been trained there?

I wonder if they will keep him in training next year? That really would be a massive bonus for race fans.

I think it is impossible to answer this question with any certainty of which horse there has been the best. Many of the ones I have really enjoyed (okay I am not a rating expert by any means just a race fan) were retired at 3. So do we judge them over the seasons we had them, do we include what might have happened had they stayed in training and how can we pit Galileo up against older horses when he was not given that chance? Nor was The Rock. Montjeu was given the chance but as an older horse he had that injury and was never the same after that. I loved him and his performances for me were special too.

Suffice to say that we are spoiled for riches in this category - and this question is often replied to from the heart, at that moment in time. Their horses are all so different, each one has it's own merit.

DOM is marvelous because he had such a nasty injury and came back. After so many of them do not it is so wonderful to have him back, not just taking part but at the highest level and as a 4 year old. same as Yeats, makes very special viewing and must make his successes dearer to Coolmore/Ballydoyle too.

Yes, I expect that is true, cannot blame them from a stallion point of view at all, and in fact many of my breeding friends are already wanting to send mares to tehm both so they too will be pleased if they are available. But, a shame of us race fans. Sigh.

Still, I'm sure that there are stablemates waiting in the wings to thrill us!

you can't really say Istabraq though if you are talking ultimate ability...to be top of a group of horses made up of ex flat plating types surely cannot mean greatness;)

wonder where Grassy is;)

Of course you can say that. Ed Moses and Brendan Foster were both athletes, one over hurdles and one on the flat. Only one of them could part the Red Sea though.

Of course you can say that. Ed Moses and Brendan Foster were both athletes, one over hurdles and one on the flat. Only one of them could part the Red Sea though.

It`s a pretty poor comparison considering hurdle races for biopeds are at shorter distances than middle distance contests on the level.

you can't really say Istabraq though if you are talking ultimate ability...to be top of a group of horses made up of ex flat plating types surely cannot mean greatness;)

wonder where Grassy is;)

Answer: has spent the last few days refraining from bringing Istabraq to the table. It is the summer-time, and I've avowed to give the Flatties their head, and limit my obtuse remarks to a bare minimum. Call it my Mid-Year Resolution.

NB: EC1's description of "ultimate ability" clearly makes no reference to staying-power, adaptability, longevity or true class. He must refer to the equine equivalent of the Village People; short-lived, over-rated, mincers. :)

Last edited:
Back