The Bumper Horses

Mister Fisher at Kempton tomorrow is supposed to be a steering job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the midst of all the Cheltenham chat I hope some of you managed to get some of the 11/4 available on opening show last night.

After a minor fright in the straight it was just hands & heels for a comprehensive win.

Mister Fisher at Kempton tomorrow is supposed to be a steering job.

WD Kauto, hope plenty were on - not me unfortunately but I'll sleep easy tonight on my new mattress after having been dragged/nagged out today by the wife ("you've watched racing all week you can take me shopping today":mad::mad::mad:)

[FONT=&quot]Anthony Honeyball could swerve Aintree with Champion Bumper fourth Acey Milan.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The five-year-old is eligible to run in the Grade Two Weatherbys Racing Bank Standard National Flat Race on April 13, but the Mosterton handler fears it could be one run too many and might even draw stumps for the season.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Honeyball said: "We've had a look at the small print and he does qualify to run in the race, but he's been busy and he has not missed a beat this season.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"I will talk to the owners, but I think it is unlikely he will run and it is very much on the back-burner. I imagine he won't run again this season.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"He has won three of his five bumpers and to finish fourth in the Champion Bumper was a good effort.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Turning in, they just quickened up and got five lengths on him. I thought he would be sixth or seventh, but he stuck on well to be fourth."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Honeyball plans to send Acey Milan over hurdles next season and has already earmarked the Grade One Challow Hurdle at Newbury in December as a first major target.[/FONT]

I'm not giving up on Didthyeleavuoutto and can see him running a big race in one of the other festival bumpers on better ground

He's a bit of a talking horse, but Danny Kirwan is also one to watch out for at Aintree after bolting up at Kempton late last month

I'm not giving up on Didthyeleavuoutto and can see him running a big race in one of the other festival bumpers on better ground

He's a bit of a talking horse, but Danny Kirwan is also one to watch out for at Aintree after bolting up at Kempton late last month

Certainly the talking horse of the UK at the mo.

I just watched the re-run again tiggers and Danny absolutely gagged up off a poor trip and could not see any excuses for Pym. I'll be amazed if he turns it around tomorrow :)

Danny Kirwan is set to be a star. Nicholls and Co reckon he's the real deal, although he'll need further in time. In the context of this race though I'd be backing Pym each way.

Winner was a Ken Pitterson paddock pick....I'm so envious of people that have that sort of expertise.

Winner was a Ken Pitterson paddock pick....I'm so envious of people that have that sort of expertise.

Really not so hard, Moe. Look for a good shiny coat, (dapples down the bottom even better!), a nice fluid walk (think Naomi Campbell sashaying down a cat walk!) and good muscle tone with no porky tummy. A fit horse will have nice lines of muscle down it's bottom at the back. Compare it to a fit boxer. And if the horse looks bright and bonny, chances are he feels great. If his coat is dull, he's walking round with an attitude that looks like he'd rather be somewhere else or he's got eyeballs on stalks, dripping with sweat, then leave well alone (usually!)
That's pretty much what paddock picks are. Not the best looking horse but merely the one in the best possible shape. I went pointing last Sunday (admittedly I do study the form) and I picked five winners. All got a tick in the paddock. I even dismissed one which I had picked out on form as it looked very dull. It got beaten.

I went to the Midlands National one year and there was a sorry looking horse being walked about on the grass [oh look, says I, it must have dodgy legs]. It won easily!! I really am totally useless jinny!! Half of them look fat [to me] and the other half look thin....I am beyond help...

I went to the Midlands National one year and there was a sorry looking horse being walked about on the grass [oh look, says I, it must have dodgy legs]. It won easily!! I really am totally useless jinny!! Half of them look fat [to me] and the other half look thin....I am beyond help...[/QUOTE
Come racing with me one day and I'll give you a lesson!!

Back