The Champion Hurdle 2010

If I'm going to be wrong I'm going to be wrong big-style...

I've backed Celestial Halo yet again at 16/1, each-way this time. If he wins, returns will probably surpass those from old Foghorn Leghorn, which I never thought could happen.

Ladies, I might even be worth propositioning...

If I'm going to be wrong I'm going to be wrong big-style...

I've backed Celestial Halo yet again at 16/1, each-way this time. If he wins, returns will probably surpass those from old Foghorn Leghorn, which I never thought could happen.

Ladies, I might even be worth propositioning...

Might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb. I might follow you unto the breach but I want to see him on the day. I don't think there will be much money for him.

Might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb. I might follow you unto the breach but I want to see him on the day. I don't think there will be much money for him.

You'd want to be very optimistic to be backin him, even at 16s. He's held by Solwhit and Go Native IMO, not to mention Punjabi, who he didn't beat last year. Throw in Zaynar and the case against is too strong. If he were from another yard he'd be disregarded as a no hoper.

Any faith in CH is based on the belief that Cheltenham in March brings out the best in him. Average improvement from 5-6 would give him a chance. Backing any horse in this years race requires a leap of faith.

By all means continue to have faith in the horse (good to see from you), and it's often better to keep going when you really fancy something, but it's nonsense (whether CH runs well or even wins) to say the Wincanton form is the best piece of form on offer, and is an example of using slide rule handicapping to come to an opinion - there can't be worse races to base a champion hurdle winner's form on than an early season handicap where most rivals are unfit/out for a gentle run. Never believe Nicholls when he says his horses aren't fit - it's very rare any horse of his is sent to the races without being ready to win.

Best horse in the race is given a soft lead because he is presumed to be unfit by inferior rivals.That's my reading of Celestial Halo at Wincanton.
Shame about Solwhit.

It seems to me to be a stable-owner ploy ...how many times have we seen this in both codes, a week or two before a race, that their protagonist is either injured or not eating up etc etc I am convinced that its to get the greedy bookies to better their price odds as usually the prices are skinny!!!...............

It will be a real pity if Solwhit doesn't run. I don't see him beating Go Native, but I'd prefer to see all the best horses running in the Championship races.

Last edited:
Best horse in the race is given a soft lead because he is presumed to be unfit by inferior rivals.That's my reading of Celestial Halo at Wincanton.

Possibly but he put up the best time performance of the year (on my figures).

Back