The Dante

Quote from Murtagh on Ch4 from a couple of days ago, that they have 10 possible Derby horses and can't really split them. Those two were very close, but as a couple of us remarked following his earlier run, I'll take BBI form the race - he was gaining on the leader with no problem.

Just really wanted to say I'm absolutely thrilled that one of the great Sadlers Wells' final crop is turning out to be a really good sort - and now I've one to follow!

Crowded House is a really flashy sort - I love them - but has he trained on?

Last edited:
PS I wonder if AOB is not giving Murtagh first choice right now, given his recent poor run of form? We don't know what's going on behind the scenes. Colm is certainly riding out of his skin and taking advantage of the situation to showcase his race-riding skills (rather than having to play pace-maker which must be damn frustrating for an ambitious young jock)

PS I wonder if AOB is not giving Murtagh first choice right now, given his recent poor run of form? We don't know what's going on behind the scenes. Colm is certainly riding out of his skin and taking advantage of the situation to showcase his race-riding skills (rather than having to play pace-maker which must be damn frustrating for an ambitious young jock)

He rode two winners last night in Naas. Of course Murtagh gets first choice.

I'm sticking with Sans Frontieres, who is beautifully bred and has shown plenty in his two starts to make me think he is capable of winning this tomorrow. The 16/1 which was available at the weekend was far too big.

Ran really well; looks like he's got a future over 12f.

No idea what to make of that.

I'd like to think the second has ran a huge race, but I could be blinkered by having backed it for the Derby.

The Noseda horse ran a lovely trial too.

Didn't see the race.

Can anyone comment on how Monitor Closely or Nehaam ran?

I thought that Monitor Closely might win at one point (he was making a good looking forward run), but the winner picked up really well. The front-running Freemantle was quite impressive in holding all but his stablemate off though.

initial reaction after watching the race is that there was no horse in there that was exceptional

it looked like a seriously good pace and BBI ploughed them down late..he did finish extremely well and the extra distance in teh Derby should be relished

if you could remove the clutter of horses at the finish then BBI would have looked more impressive ..as it was it was only on a second look I realised he did really motor late on.

I really don't think any of these will win Derby, BBI can't be a Derby horse can it?..going off at 12/1...surely if this were the one they would already know

the race should produce a decent speed figure if these are any good because there looked to be no lack of early pace..if the speed figure isn't there then something is amiss ..i've mentally struck the race from my mind :)

Hope i'm not swearing here but Nick Mordin had a brilliant record in the ST Leger using the dosage system SteveM what do you think of Native Rulers leger credentials using Dosage Index

Hope i'm not swearing here but Nick Mordin had a brilliant record in the ST Leger using the dosage system SteveM what do you think of Native Rulers leger credentials using Dosage Index

I wrote up his half brother Sixties Icon to win the Leger (see link). But the case for NR is far from overwhelming. The race cut up badly that year and the likes of Septimus, Papal Bull and Youmzain were no shows. Septimus (for example) would have been strongly preferred (my long range choice).
http://www.chef-de-race.com/dosage/classics/2006/2006_st_leger_preview.htm
BTW Nick doesn’t really use Dosage, but a bastardised version of it that fails to capture the dynamic of the system. He made some declaration to the effect that he gave up using it some years ago following criticism of his application of it.

Last edited:
SteveM thanks for your reply yes Nick Mordin had given up his version of DI by the time Sixties Icon won the Leger. Without giving away your secrets do you find the longer races better for DI & what is your idea of this years winner
all the best
Larry
ps that piece was very informative

Was out for the day. Just saw it on the RP TV site. Initial reaction was a blanket covered the first couple home. No one individual stood out. Now think the race is between Sea the Stars and Fame & Glory. Need to think more ....brilliance vs the stayer...which one to go for?

The Skegness Derby has been reduced to 10 furlongs this year in a move to address the clash with the Blackpool Derby, which is often seen as the more prestigious event. A spokesman for Donkey World magazine said ' blah blah blah dovetailing wherupon, the donkey in the room could move forward and at this moment in time we believe that this concept is in the best interests of the ass'

Native Ruler is a nice horse for the future but flying much too high today.

Is the Glasgow Stakes still run at Hamilton or has it gone for good?

Back