The Derby Sat June 5th 2021

At Longchamps for Arc and on Irish Champions Day at Leopardstown they reserve fresh ground (Arc) and a fresh track (Leopaardstown) for the big race.
It may be in Epsom / The Curragh's interest to do the same for the sake of their flagship race.

With the dash they would have ample time to take up the false rail; easy to do likewise at The Curragh.
The ground was drying Saturday as times improved throughout the day ; points well made Maxbet.
Haggas surely the second happiest trainer leaving Epsom as you say.

One thing not mentioned so far - or if it has been mentioned I haven't seen it - is the very sporting and philosophical attitude of Oisin Murphy on being jocked off the winner.

I noticed him on the tv pictures the other day beaming and congratulating Kirby. Since then, Appleby has praised his attitude too, and I've just watched his live commentary of the race, at the end of which he was very congratulatory towards the winning horse and jockey.

The BHA handicapper goes 121 on Adayar today.

My tracker horse Scope, third to Adayar at Lingfield, unchanged on 95.

Last edited:
One thing not mentioned so far - or if it has been mentioned I haven't seen it - is the very sporting and philosophical attitude of Oisin Murphy on being jocked off the winner.

I noticed him on the tv pictures the other day beaming and congratulating Kirby. Since then, Appleby has praised his attitude too, and I've just watched his live commentary of the race, at the end of which he was very congratulatory towards the winning horse and jockey.

Hmm. He was saving face wasn't he. You could tell he was absolutely sick. That aside he is riding like perfection this year. He's the best jockey by far in my opinion.

Possibly doing/saying the right things but he wasn't the focus of the camera after the race and he seemed genuinely pleased for Kirby.

No doubt he'll have made a positive impression on certain people who will consider him closely for big races.

There's also a fair chance Godolphin will find a way of compensating him to a degree in a future race. I wouldn't expect any less of them.

Possibly doing/saying the right things but he wasn't the focus of the camera after the race and he seemed genuinely pleased for Kirby.

No doubt he'll have made a positive impression on certain people who will consider him closely for big races.

There's also a fair chance Godolphin will find a way of compensating him to a degree in a future race. I wouldn't expect any less of them.

He's so good he'll need no help. He's worth half a point to a horse.

Last edited:
At Longchamps for Arc and on Irish Champions Day at Leopardstown they reserve fresh ground (Arc) and a fresh track (Leopaardstown) for the big race.
It may be in Epsom / The Curragh's interest to do the same for the sake of their flagship race.

With the dash they would have ample time to take up the false rail; easy to do likewise at The Curragh.
The ground was drying Saturday as times improved throughout the day ; points well made Maxbet.
Haggas surely the second happiest trainer leaving Epsom as you say.

I thought there was fresh ground for the Saturday. I believe they took the the rail in about 3 metres.

I'll say again that watering should be banned from 4-5 days before the start of a meeting. Horses should be able to run on good to firm. The CoC said you shouldn't water late 'that's when you get problems', he said. So then he did.

Back