The Derby Sat June 5th 2021

I thought the fav was travelling beautifully. And it looked as it was going to be a case of just hitting the turbo button. But just no response when Ryan asked him to pick up. A disappointment for sure. But they can’t always have the best horse. And yes they are desperate for a new superstar stallion to replace Galileo....that became apparent the more ITV fawned over them.

I was really disappointed last year when Serpentine won as I felt it was a race won because the jockey rode the others to sleep and the horse wasn’t ultimately the best one. Today the race felt a much truer run race and there appeared to be no excuses that I could see. John Leeper possibly ran a little green although Frankie did well settling him as I gather he was lit up on the way to the start.

Watch it back. Was beat after 2f.

Scope beaten 5/6 lengths by Third Realm and Adayar at Lingfield off level weights when losing a shoe and staying on well for a clear third lto.

I'd like to see him stay on 95, but even then, knowing trainers like I do, they'll probably be upping him to group level next time out just to sabotage a handicap good thing.

If he leaves him on 95 then I'd say he's at least 7lb + well in for his next start.

Godolphin own a horse called Al Waqidi who beat Scope in a maiden earlier this year. He's unbeaten in two starts and worth following on the collateral formlines too. He's in my tracker.

Last edited:
O’Brien said: “He just ran a bit lifeless. What the reason was, I’m not sure. It doesn’t work every day. That’s the way life is.

“I don’t want to make excuses because I don’t want to take away from the other horses. He was in the perfect position. He wants nice ground and maybe that was the reason.”

A 25/1 rank outsider came inches from landing the last. All in all must have been a great day to be a bookmaker at Epsom.

We need vengeance at Royal Ascot.

Last edited:
Matt Chapman has posted a video on Twitter from AOB showing BB has a not nice cut on hind right leg with comment saying happened after 150 yards in.

Last edited:
Being the old sod I am I must give credit to Francesca Cumani for her paddock description of the winner.
A big strong horse with big feet is not what you would expect from a Derby winner.
The overhead shots gave the impression that Adayer has an awkward looking action in that his front and hind ends seem to go in different directions.
He stumbled on debut and lost a shoe at Sandown so could surely improve but the going stood to him more than the rest.

The overhead shots gave the impression that Adayer has an awkward looking action in that his front and hind ends seem to go in different directions.

Striding suitability also had this lad finishing last. Snowfall also met the same gloom.

Easy this game!

Matt Chapman has posted a video on Twitter from AOB showing BB has a not nice cut on hind right leg with comment saying happened after 150 yards in.
Post-race, the vet reported that BB was struck into; strange that connections never mentioned it?

Last edited:
Closer to 120, I reckon. Maybe more.

I've just done a very rudimentary comparison with the following CD all-age handicap and am coming up with 120 bang on.

However, that's taking a slightly conservative view of the handicap, in terms of an average winning performance. Once I dig a bit deeper it's possible I'll go higher.

It does tend to back up my pre-race assertion about the lack of quality, though. If the runner-up is 7lbs inferior, we're talking about a Derby in which the runner-up is only a 113 horse, so the third and worse are below 110. That's pretty shocking.

While I was consistently against Bolshoi Ballet, there is absolutely no way on this earth that he was anywhere close to form yesterday, likewise most of the unplaced runners. Were they ALL non-stayers?

I'm not sure I buy the 'struck into' excuse for BB. In the heat of a race, adrenaline will often mask any pain until the body's systems get back towards normal levels. He just didn't run his race and there can be any number of reasons for that.

If the winner is only a 120 horse, then BB really should have been very close to him even on this doubter's figures. I suspect the handicapper will settle around the 122/123 mark for him.

But at least he's probably better than Oath, which would be my baseline crap-Derby-winner marker.

Last edited:
Slightly ironic about Prescotts 'too many in one barn comment' with Godolphin winning it with their third string!

Last edited:
I saw the photo. It's clearly a rushed application of rasberry jam.

:lol:
Actually there is a definite cut. How deep it went, wasn’t clear enough to see. And no idea whether tendon was nicked either but horse did look sore on video.

They watered then it rained.
The ground was atrocious.
William Haggis pulls Mohaafeth out on account of the ground.
The winner according to Appleby was heading for the Leger...he has an absolute abundance of stamina in his pedigree.
The winner had feet like snowshoes.
The runner-up and the 3rd were real stamina types.
They were strung out like a National hunt race run on heavy ground.
The Sprint was won by a horse that according to the jockey "5f is too sharp"
The majority of the handicap field was ahead of the Derby field.
The winner won't beat Hurricane Lane on better ground.
The winner will make a great National hunt stallion.
The Oaks was won by a real stayer...A Deep Impact out of a Galileo mare.
Horses were off the bridle at the top of the hill.
Aiden will be ruing not running 6 in it, the irony being, they only ran one because it was fast ground at the start of the week. Bet some choice words were dished out to the clerk of the course...he changed history

They watered then it rained.
The ground was atrocious.
William Haggis pulls Mohaafeth out on account of the ground.
The winner according to Appleby was heading for the Leger...he has an absolute abundance of stamina in his pedigree.
The winner had feet like snowshoes.
The runner-up and the 3rd were real stamina types.
They were strung out like a National hunt race run on heavy ground.
The Sprint was won by a horse that according to the jockey "5f is too sharp"
The majority of the handicap field was ahead of the Derby field.
The winner won't beat Hurricane Lane on better ground.
The winner will make a great National hunt stallion.
The Oaks was won by a real stayer...A Deep Impact out of a Galileo mare.
Horses were off the bridle at the top of the hill.
Aiden will be ruing not running 6 in it, the irony being, they only ran one because it was fast ground at the start of the week. Bet some choice words were dished out to the clerk of the course...he changed history

It's always the really soft ground big meetings that stick to my mind because they are such a cluster ****. Fast at Newmarket and proper soft at the Curragh and Epsom. What a ******* mess.

Last edited:
Back