The Festival Handicaps 2019

Interesting. So a potential win on Thursday would make officially well in, or carrying a penalty for The Coral Cup then?

Last edited:
Hopefully he wins by ten lengths with plenty to spare on Thursday then.

Last edited:
Hadn't had a good look at this until now and Benny's Bridge being in the County really excites me. There are some good horses in there but the way he won at Cheltenham last time really impressed me and the form behind isn't too shabby either, being able to tie in some form with Al Dancer!

Dandridge. Good second today. In the Johnny Henderson. Switched stables and wind op. Just saying.

Switched stables ? He's been with Charlie all season or do you mean he's moved on ?

No switched since last run in same race which he's been second and fourth in before.

2016 - 2nd off OR 137
2017 - 4th off OR 143
2018 - Did not Run (Was OR 137 and OR 139 was lowest rated to get a run)
2019 - Current OR 130 - Won't have a hope of getting a run off that mark, surely?

Hadn't had a good look at this until now and Benny's Bridge being in the County really excites me. There are some good horses in there but the way he won at Cheltenham last time really impressed me and the form behind isn't too shabby either, being able to tie in some form with Al Dancer!

Never going to happen mate - much as I'd love to see him in it. I thought he was rated 129 but he's actually only rated 126. So firstly he'd need to win the Imperial Cup and then pray to god the 7lb (?) penalty will be enough to sneak him in at the bottom off 133, which is quite unlikely.

I posted about his chances end of Jan on the Cheltenham thread but I daid then that he'd need to run again before the weights were adjusted (today) and he hasn't so I doubt the penalty is enough on it's own. I know of another member on here who'll be dissappointed too.

Doubtful but as you pointed out.... I have asked Sky for a Request A Bet to price up the Double! Will post the link if they come up trumps and anyone else likes the idea....

I think the penalty might only be 5lbs so a win in the Imperial Cup would only take him up from 52nd spot past a handful of others.

The lowest-rated runner last year was 133 so unless there are more than the usual number of defections he has no chance of making the cut.

He still holds a Supreme entry, mind :)

Cubomania gets into the Close Brothers on 145. Probably looking at 140 to get in. The Russian Doyen last guaranteed as it stands off 141.

RP:
[FONT=&quot]Predicted ratings for bottom weights in the festival handicaps from the BHA handicapping team: Martin Pipe 134, County Hurdle 133, Grand Annual 137/138, Pertemps 135, Kim Muir low 130s, Plate 137, Fred Winter 130, Coral Cup 135/136, Close Brothers 137 and Ultima 137.[/FONT]

Never going to happen mate - much as I'd love to see him in it. I thought he was rated 129 but he's actually only rated 126. So firstly he'd need to win the Imperial Cup and then pray to god the 7lb (?) penalty will be enough to sneak him in at the bottom off 133, which is quite unlikely.

Not impossible given archie's news above, has an entry in the Imperial Cup as you suggested. Isn't there a bonus for winning both ?

Not impossible given archie's news above, has an entry in the Imperial Cup as you suggested. Isn't there a bonus for winning both ?

Always was and still is I believe DG but if Mo is right and it only carries a 5lb penalty then he'll still only be on 131 and that's surely too low.

RP:
[FONT="]Predicted ratings for bottom weights in the festival handicaps from the BHA handicapping team: Martin Pipe 134, County Hurdle 133, Grand Annual 137/138, Pertemps 135, Kim Muir low 130s, Plate 137, Fred Winter 130, Coral Cup 135/136, Close Brothers 137 and Ultima 137 .[/FONT]

I hope that's not a million miles away in truth and a spot of rain wouldn't go amiss. :ninja:

Kevin Blake analysis of the Irish handicap marks at the Festival

https://www.attheraces.com/blogs/kevin-blake

What appears to have been overlooked in the analysis is that the ratings of horses rated around 150 and above are agreed between the respective handicappers. Take these out and the figures are likely to be more in line with my ball-park figure of 6lbs average adjustment.

Back