The Festival Handicaps

Diamond Geezer

Gone But Not Forgotten
Conditional jockeys race at Cheltenham proving very popular at the moment, 148 entries with one and a half hours left until closing :ninja:

Just had a look and there were 166 entries last year. The eventual bottom weight had an OR of 133.
Other entry totals:
County Hurdle 117
Pertemps 148
Coral 136
Fred Winter 72

Novices Hcap Chase 76
3m Hcap Chase 98
Grand Annual 66
Byrne 83
Kim Muir 109
Cross Country 37

Conditions for some of the handicaps are different this year:
http://www.racingpost.com/news/hors...educed/1799920/#newsArchiveTabs=last7DaysNews

Anyone contemplating backing Bayan before NRNB should note that he's been entered for a 135k euro race at Auteuil on March 1st.

Final Pertemps qualifier this Saturday, 4.10 Chepstow, Fingal Bay qualified in this race last year, Pipe has multiple entries so be interesting to see what lines up, I hope one is Vieux Lion Rouge who is on my 'long' watch list for a handicap

Can someone remind me whether entries for a race like the County Hurdle are made the standard 6 days before, or before that?

I'm hoping to see Arzal entered who ran a belter in the Tote Trophy when 6th after shuffled back when they restarted (when usually races prominently), and badly hampered when Goodwood Mirage came down.

Edit, looks at though entries have been made today, and Arzal has been entered in The County. :)

Last edited:
I'll be seriously interested in Buywise in whichever of the two hurdle races he's entered in he goes for (fingers crossed). I would personally prefer to see him head for the conditionals as the Coral Cup will be tougher.

He also has chase entries but Williams said recently that he'd be going back to the festival and with his jumping issues the smaller obstacles would make more sense. He's off a mark of 138 which is the same as when he won eased down LTO (albeit against weak opposition) and that's still a few pound short of his chase mark, which would be higher still if he could jump.

20/1 for both races at present so roll on NRNB on these.

I'll be seriously interested in Buywise in whichever of the two hurdle races he's entered in he goes for (fingers crossed). I would personally prefer to see him head for the conditionals as the Coral Cup will be tougher.

He also has chase entries but Williams said recently that he'd be going back to the festival and with his jumping issues the smaller obstacles would make more sense. He's off a mark of 138 which is the same as when he won eased down LTO (albeit against weak opposition) and that's still a few pound short of his chase mark, which would be higher still if he could jump.

20/1 for both races at present so roll on NRNB on these.

Interests me too. He mentioned the Pipe race for the hurdles.

Think Roi Des Francs has been given a nice mark on 139, and Lite Duties likewise with 136 in the Pertemps, my first two handicap bets at 12/1 and 14/1 both NRNB.

Quick Jack given 136 (I know Grassy was interested) and Savello given 139 which puts them 57th and 46th on the list for the County with a max field of 26. Both are also in the martin pipe (higher up the list) but only Quick Jack is in the Coral Cup.

I really fancy Savello along with a few others obviously but i'm not sure which race he's going for and Quick Jack is much shorter in the betting in both.

Just did the math myself, Argaron......then immediately saw your post....bleedin' typical.

Miracle if I get a run.......too far down the list in the Coral Cup (61st, I think), and more or less same story in the County (high 50's).

Buggering ball-bags. :mad:

The Math? Don't go all american on us ya daft taddy whacker!

He is still pretty short in all the books though so they must think there is a chance he'll get in. I can't be bothered to try and work out if he will or not though.... Savello will definitely get in the Martin Pipe I reckon but my gut says the county is the target. Analifet might be the other Gigi runner in that perhaps? Either way I really want to back this Savello. His last run was a very good effort behind a Slim hotpot and a horse that has won since and he travelled like a dream before not finding loads. He'll be sharper and at the prices looks a deceit e/w punt.

It was a genuine typo! :lol:

Only chance of a run is if he picks up a penalty, I'd say. I' e been checking for entries every day for the last few days, but nothing yet. Still time, I suppose, but it's fast running out.

FWIW, I still think he's potentially well handicapped of 136, but a 5 or 7lb penalty would have me a bit worried. I'm not convinced I've covered myself in glory with these bets - even if does run and win!

Been looking at the Pertemps for some time now and not really getting anywhere, siding with a consistent type like Brother Brian or Big Easy maybe the way I go though I do like Katkeau, was not given a hard time at the weekend when being pipped by his stablemate in the last qualifier, 137 looks fair as does 20/1, Clara McCloud I quite like but assume is going to the mares race Handazan another but wont get in.

It was a genuine typo! :lol:

Only chance of a run is if he picks up a penalty, I'd say. I' e been checking for entries every day for the last few days, but nothing yet. Still time, I suppose, but it's fast running out.

FWIW, I still think he's potentially well handicapped of 136, but a 5 or 7lb penalty would have me a bit worried. I'm not convinced I've covered myself in glory with these bets - even if does run and win!

I'm still a bit unsure about this bit but isn't there a precedence/rule where if the horse is still entered at the final decs stage but misses the cut you get your money back on AP bets ?

Back