The Festival Handicaps

Blackmail has only had his ground once over hurdles - when annihilating Bob Le Beau and Formidableopponent, to judge him on any of his other hurdles runs would be completely wrong.

Can see why people would be worried given the lay-off and the return but the horse needs decent ground to be seen at his best, fast pace should help him settle better though no surprise to see him wearing a hood if lining up and biggest worry for me is that he ran very free in front when contesting the bumper at the Festival in 2013.

Martin

If Spring Heeled gets good unwatered ground and runs in the Tuesday Handicap Chase he could be a bet.
Jim more likely to keep him for Aintree though.

He did say at the weights lunch that his season was being geared around the National but there would be no harm in picking up a valuable prize en route. Given the size of the prize now at Aintree it's not as if there's any need to land a betting coup. Winning the race would be coup enough.

What time are entries made in the UK and Ireland, and what's the quickest way to find them out (without logging onto the RP every 2 minutes)?

Need to know my fate with Quick Jack - it's getting on my tits.

I'd be interested in rolling maul in the pertemps after his run there the last day.With a bit of luck he will pick up a few nice spares off PFN too.

Thanks, guys. Are you absolutely sure about that, simmo. No disrespect intended. It's just that the correct answer will have a major impact on my plans for the week!

Thanks, guys. Are you absolutely sure about that, simmo. No disrespect intended. It's just that the correct answer will have a major impact on my plans for the week!

I'd put it at 98% certain - my usual course is to create a spreadsheet at the 5 day stage and then trim it down at the 2 day stage - changes from that point are very rare (usually horses that run in a different race).

I've checked the RPs (paper) from the last time looking at Wednesday's field in Tuesday's paper etc. Last year it was 48 hour final decs for the Champion Hurdle, Champion Chase, Ryanair, World Hurdle and Gold Cup. The rest were 24 hour final decs.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks, CL.

No entries for Quick Jack, which means it's curtains for a Festival run. Far too many need to come out of his races.

Speaking of the Imperial Cup, if you fancy anything strongly for it and it holds an engagement at Cheltenham (and looks like getting in), it might be an idea to back it ante-post for next week before/in case it wins on Saturday.

Just a thought.

Eminently sensible, DO.

Just a thought, but do markets adjust for this kind of thing in advance, do we reckon?

Not really. Last year I backed Baltimore Rock ante-post on the Friday (day before the IC) at 33/1 for the County in anticipation of a big run on the Saturday, his only entry but he didn't take up the engagement. So it really is a case of caveat puntor.

The 3 miler on the Tuesday looks tough but Sausalito Sunrise may still have a few lbs in hand with Holywell proving last season the 145 barrier is not insurmountable.

Back