The Fighting Fifth

Henderson has these totally unnecessary dramas with his top 2m hurdlers nearly every season.

Fk knows why he is seemingly so averse to running two of his in the same race. At this rate, Darlan make his seasonal re-appearance in the Haydock Champion Hurdle trial (unless the ground is too soft).

Erse.
I was going to say you talk nonsense sometimes but I deleted it......If that's what it takes with Darlan then that's what it takes as long as he gets there for the big one..

To run Darlan against Grandouet could well lead to them both having a very hard race which can knock a horse back weeks if not months. Grandouet will have enough on his plate with Rock on Ruby now looking to take him on at Cheltenham.

I doubt very much if he'll want Binocular to clash with Darlan when the latter could go to Ireland if it doesn't come up heavy. I sincerely doubt if Frank Berry or JP would agree to them taking each other on if there's the remotest chance they can win something else with one or the other.

With Nicky's Cheltenham record it's hard to knock the man for getting them there in good form. He had mega problems with Binocular but still manged to win the Champion Hurdle and he performed miracles to get the fragile See You Then there and win the race 3 times.

I look forward to seeing one of the stable-stars running in that recognised Champion Hurdle trial; Kelso's Morebattle Hurdle. :rolleyes:

Cinders And Ashes was never travelling and was being niggled all the way, he appeared to hate the ground. I think the winner was flattered here and I wouldn't be rushing out to back him against the top 2 milers based upon that performance.

Last edited:
I think Countrywide Flame is one of the more likelier triumph winners. Didnt have to do much today but had it won a long long way out, and I wouldnt underestimate him in any company.

Considering John was in half a mind not to run him earlier in the week but decided he had to get a run into him to put him right for the Istabraq Hurdle that was a stunning performance visually.

Cinders and Ashes looks to have run his race ok but on that ground you simply can't be 100% sure but he did look outclassed today.

C Flame is certainly going the right way and as I've known John since his riding days I'd love nothing more than see him win the Champion Hurdle.

However the chances of him getting the same conditions at Cheltenham must be pretty remote.

I just feel he's more about stamina than speed and that does not win Champion Hurdles
I know John said he's improved a stone since last season but that doesn't mean he's all of a sudden going to all of a sudden find an extra gear.

He's only 4 and I'd be more inclined to think another year on is back might see him being strong enough to be running Champion Hurdle horses into the ground.

It would appear the bookies are thinking the same way. On a line through Cinders he's clearly got the beating of Darlan yet the Henderson horse is 4 points shorter than him in the market.

If C Flame were to put up a similar performance in the Istabraq he might be on my short list but as things stand I doubt if he has the speed to win a Champion Hurdle on goodish ground.

I'd have to agree with that. We could well have got the wrong impression of him because he won 2 races on heavy ground last season and most of us were thinking he'd handle that ground today.

Looking back, those were very poor contests and when the real test came in the Supreme it was good ground.

The winner skipped through it but you could hardly say the same about him as he never looked like winning at any stage.

Looking back, those were very poor contests and when the real test came in the Supreme it was good ground.

The winner skipped through it but you could hardly say the same about him as he never looked like winning at any stage.

i came to the same conclusion..that was why i put him up as a lay..his best form was on better ground.

I think Countrywide Flame is one of the more likelier triumph winners. Didnt have to do much today but had it won a long long way out, and I wouldnt underestimate him in any company.

Aye, but he joins a long list of equally impressive FF winners, most of who've failed to produce when the chips are down.
For mine, he'll need further at the very top level.

Aye, but he joins a long list of equally impressive FF winners, most of who've failed to produce when the chips are down.
For mine, he'll need further at the very top level.

Given some of the horses touted as dark ones in the champion picture, this one seems to have fewer holes and less publicity. Very straightforward horse and capable of running anyone close. Strong pace in the champion would suit. I'd be slow to dismiss him, even if Cinders and Ashes wasnt near his best yesterday.

Back