The future

Garney

Conditional
I'm going to keep this short, but if the future isn't Jack Doyle, I'm a dutchman. Best young jock Ive seen in years, including Aidan Coleman. If I was Nicky Henderson I would have taken a punt on him. That is all.

Very bold shout Garney!! Hope you are worth right. I certainly think Emma Lavelle has made the right move with regards to getting him for Craick Away Jack.

Last edited:
Coleman, who would be my second choice as a claimer at the moment, has had the greater profile from last year, but I know where my money would be on who will end up more successful in the long run (and maybe even by the end of this season).

If you were to come up with a scheme to make the claimer race more exciting Rory, I'd be interested to hear them!

Coleman 6 winners ahead at the moment but not as good a strike rate or level stakes profit. Greater prizemoney won as well for what that is worth.

Last edited:
Oh, I don't know, Garney - I like what I've seen of Doyle but Aidan is brilliant and will go far, he'll be very successful no matter what. He's very much a horseman and has a very quiet empathy with the horses, whilst being strong in a race also. He's hard working and willing to please - I'd have him on my horses any day.

Garney. If you want a bet I'll offer the following handicap

8/11 Coleman
21/20 Doyle (+9.5)

I'll give you another name to follow - [Mr] Sam Drinkwater (7). He's a good lad riding for Twiston-Davies and is another with natural talent. He's still very raw and needs polishing but he's only 17/18 (he was 17 in March, dunno if he's had a birthday or not!) and I think we'll hear a lot more of him. He's ridden a few point to point winners and rode his first winner up at Perth for Twiston after only around 4/5 rides. He didn't ride all summer but Twiston is putting him up again - he rode Florida Dream at Cheltenham on Friday and rides in the first at Exeter tomorrow.

I mentioned both Coleman and Doyle on here long after spotting both (last Feb/MArch maybe). I also mentioned Dutchmen in the post. Coleman is good but I have yet to see Doyle do something wrong on a horse. So, Rory if you think that its only in the last couple of weeks that Jack Doyle has come on my radar, you would be wrong. He has been in fashion in my books for as long as Coleman.

SL, I understand what you are saying about Coleman but every ride that I see Doyle give only confirms my initial impression.

Gearoid, the handicap is tempting but I'd need to check into it a bit more. Think Coleman will get the more rides and will be Venetia's main jock. My suspicion is by the end of the year that Doyle will be recognised his superior.

I'm not one to be singing about each claimer who is flavour of the month, these two lads, especially Doyle only have the four superstars (Carberry, Walsh, McCoy, Thornton) as their clear superiors. I'm convinced at the moment that they are the first two jockeys of the post McCoy era.

Fair enough Garney, but I'd still go for Aidan every time I'm afraid. I realise that Aidan is more familiar to me than Doyle but I (and Rory) have been following Aidan for a long time since we both recognised his talent long before he even rode under rules in this country. He is a superbly gifted horseman and jockey, a combination that is rare.

Doyle is a very good lad and will do well, but I personally think Aidan is his superior.

Capable, not a negative. Just not in the others (mentioned above) class. Won a few for Venetia last year. Should make a career as a jockey.

D.P. (Donal) Fahy is creating a good impression down in deepest darkest Wales.

Not sure if he is in the same class as the two mentioned at the top of the thread but at the moment isn't making many mistakes and rides them the way I like, quietly, in the mould of Timmy Murphy.

He is doing well and there are other conditionals that I wouldnt view as a negative (worth their claim) Richie Killoran, Johnny Farrelly are all very good. Liam Heard and Robbie Colgan have been around for years.

As you say, the other two, and to my eyes Doyle are a league above.

Last edited:
Big fan of Mr D Cook - rides today at Exeter. Currently amateur for Pipe but gets plenty of outside rides.

If I was looking for value from a 5-lb claimer, I would look no further than Nick Scholfield, good as Doyle et al may be.

If I was looking for value from a 5-lb claimer, I would look no further than Nick Scholfield, good as Doyle et al may be.

Schofield if he develops to his potential could be the next Christian Williams or if he is even luckier the next Joe Tizzard.

SL, Treadwell and Heard are both good. If Schofield takes rides from Heard it would be a travesty. Treadwell may not get the same level of support from Venetia now with Coleman's emergency. He definitely has a career ahead of him.

I first really noticed Aidan Coleman when he grabbed victory from the jaws of defeat aboard Ma Yahab at Chepstow in February - I had virtually torn my sip up half way up the long Chepstow straight. He is a "touch" jockey like a Murphy or an O'Regan, but also has immense strength in terms of keeping at a stubborn animal - which is a very McCoy-esque trait. This combination of style and brute force when required do seem to set him aside as potentially being something a bit special.

He gave Blunham Hill a peach of a ride when I was at Towcester last week and has to be one of the most valuable claimers in many a long year. John Upson was quick to sing his praises from the roof tops too.

He is also one of few jockeys to have managed to have got a tune out of that old rascal Jupon Vert in recent times. No mean feat for an inexperienced pilot.

I also fancy that Felix De Giles will go a long way too, and his presence at Seven Barrows probably answers the question posed by an earlier poster

As for the remark Jack Doyle has never made a mistake. I would beg to differ - I had Lodge Lane backed the day he won at Fontwell and Doyle got the first in the home straight wrong on three (I think) occasions - I remember thinking at the time he needs to learn how to deal with errors on a previous circuit and try to remedy them next time round. I know he won, and I am being ultra critical, but I did have him backed that day so I remember it well. I don't however deny he is also a great talent, but I would rate Coleman considerably higher on the evidence we have to date.

Nick Schofield was the most hated jockey on Betfair for a period during the spring when he had a number of reversals for the champion handler on long odds on shots, none more memorable than Woolcombe Folly at Taunton. Given some of the errors of judgement he has displayed I would have reservations about tipping for the top.

Well, Jack Doyle did it well on Tana River there at Wincanton. Cracking ride. This lad has it all.

It was indeed a good ride; don't think I don't rate Doyle btw. I think he's very good but I don't know if he can truly break through after losing his claim. I happen to think Coleman is a future champion jockey in much the same way I thought so about Adrian Maguire and A P McCoy when they arrived. In other words, Doyle is hot, but Coleman is mustard!

Back