The future

I'm also quite keen on Felix De Giles and Ryan Mania, both have a future imo.

Felix will get a lot of rides this year at Six Barrows given the situation there, and will come on a ton for it. He started riding regularly for Dai Williams who gave very early chances to AP, Dickie Johnson, Christian Williams and Seamus Durak, and Dai really reckoned this young lad - says he's a natural. His Dad is a permit trainer I believe?

I'm not sure which yard Mania is attached to - is it Sue Smith's?

It was indeed a good ride; don't think I don't rate Doyle btw. I think he's very good but I don't know if he can truly break through after losing his claim. I happen to think Coleman is a future champion jockey in much the same way I thought so about Adrian Maguire and A P McCoy when they arrived. In other words, Doyle is hot, but Coleman is mustard!

Yeah. I understand. Except I think the same about Doyle. Its why I started the thread. As we have seen by the thread, there are several jocks out there that are value for their claims. I think Doyle tops the lot. Managed to get a second winner also in Dastardly Dick.

Fahy, E Williams conditional, cost Charles Street supporters a nice winner today. Nearly certain that he mistook the winning line at Wincanton.

Last edited:
Oh, I don't know about that, Garney, they were both going at it head to head.

Doyle is a good young jockey, very good in fact - I'm with Rory though that Aidan has it all and I think he'll go all the way to the top.

Talking of gifted claimers, Tjade Collier is decent too. He's strong but also very much a horseman as could be seen to very good effect in his ride on Cloudy Times today - he cajoled him home using mainly hands and heels, a very good ride, just what you want on a young horse.

You don't know about Charles Street and Fahy? I think that is what you are referring to. Trust me on it. Get a look at the head on.

The argument of who is actually better between Coleman and Doyle inst going to be sorted here and now. It might take two of three years. But Coleman is more high profile to now, but maybe Lavelle's promising animals might change that.

I was at the track, Garney - looked very much to me as though they were in a battle to the line from my pitch not so very far away. Admittedly I haven't seen the head-on though.

Nothing to do with someone possibly suggesting the super Bally Conn didnt win due to his guts??

First time round I thought Fahy stopped/relaxed with 50 yards to win narrowly but with something a little up his sleeve, but its clear from the head on, that he relaxed on the horse once he passed the "line". Its not the first time that it has happened at Wincanton.

Nothing to do with someone possibly suggesting the super Bally Conn didnt win due to his guts??

That's rather a snippy and below the belt comment, Garney - especially since as you no doubt know, the horse was sold in April and no longer races for the original partnership. Why the need to make such a chippy comment?

So far as I could see, the better horse on the day won. I didn't think there was a jockey error myself, seemingly neither did the stewards or anyone else other than yourself.

That's rather a snippy and below the belt comment, Garney - especially since as you no doubt know, the horse was sold in April and no longer races for the original partnership. Why the need to make such a chippy comment?

So far as I could see, the better horse on the day won. I didn't think there was a jockey error myself, seemingly neither did the stewards or anyone else other than yourself.

Suppose some people have a sense of humour and some people dont. Why the need to get knickers in a twist? It was hardly snippy, but its tough to know where the line is with you SL.

Well on RUK, it was clear that I wasnt alone in thinking that Fahy didnt ride out to the line. But then again, since you watched it live at the course and the Racing Post analysis is giving the benefit of the doubt to a conditional, then you must obviously be right. But I will repeat, that Fahy relaxed on the horse after passing a path close to the line. Yet despite not watching the race you still think your judgement is more correct than mine. I'll wait for you to admit you were wrong once you get to see the replay - as if.

The fact is that I couldnt care who owned the winner today - or who previously owned the winner - and it was only after you seemed to suggest that I was wrong in judging Fahy's final furling that I realised that I was in some way debasing the effort of Bally Conn. Then it all made sense.

Last edited:
No offence taken here to comments about Bally Conn; Martin Hill has clearly got a good tune out of him that I doubt Hen Knight, for all her success, would have managed. I'd hate to see him go on a winning spree, mind!

The fact is that I couldnt care who owned the winner today - or who previously owned the winner - and it was only after you seemed to suggest that I was wrong in judging Fahy's final furling that I realised that I was in some way debasing the effort of Bally Conn. Then it all made sense.

Jesus H Christ, Garney, and you wonder why your comments make you look snippy?? Christ alive, I know more about the horse and what he is like than most people on here - why on earth you think I'd want to "suggest[ing] the super Bally Conn didnt win due to his guts??" or think anyone was debasing him, not least since I helped send the animal to the sales, is beyond me. If anything, you'd have thought I'd want to criticise the animal, wouldn't you, considering we paid £60k for it and sold it for £8k!!!

Now, strangely enough, since I was on the track (as I said) I did actually see the race, andat close quarters too, contrary to what you are asserting. As I said, it didn't look to me like the kid stopped riding - I also said that I didn't see the head on either. Nor am I likely to since I'm too damned busy to sit about on my hands waiting to watch a replay just to keep some character on a forum quiet whilst he's waiting on tenterhooks to be told that he might be right.

Sorry to hear you are so busy to view the replay but let me know if you ever manage to view it. I'd be hugely interested to hear your thoughts.

I just watched the replay of Charles Street's race and his jockey does seem to briefly drop his hands as his mount crossed the path about 30 yds before the winning line. Whilst there have been worse cases of this sort of thing down the years, I think that in view of the short head verdict anyone having punted the favourite should deservedly feel aggrieved.

Having said that, anyone backing a short priced favourite from the Evan Williams stable does deserve a special commendation of some description. He is quite simply THE hardest stable to predict, and I gave up backing his horses after some very unexpected reversals this summer.

Yes, he puts down his whip but he continues to push out the horse. There is no way you could say he dropped his hands or stopped riding.

Garney, I haven't managed to see the reply - from what I saw of the race I thought the same as Grey that the lad continues pushing the horse to the line. In fairness he probably lost it on the nod as well, it definitely looked to me they were both still riding to the line.

It's possible that Donal Fahy was fooled for a second by the path as others have been, but if he stops riding it's for such a short period period of time that it's impossible to call for sure. It didn't noticeably alter the momentum of Charles Street but as has been said, the margin was so small that the tiniest checking of motion could have been decisive. I'd be intrigued to see if Mr Hill keeps Bally Conn to hurdles as it's possible that he's found the key to his previously hesitant jumping. If so, he's dangerously well treated as a staying chaser.

I think he definitely relaxes on the horse but not certain it cost him victory. I suspect he was a short head up and was cosily sitting on the lead until the false line. But anyway, lets put the sorry episode to bed.

Et Maintenant wins under another very good ride. Stepped up in trip but ridden from the front. Different class. 3 lb bonus in every handicap he rides in.

I was mildly ridiculed a couple of weeks ago by some people on here for suggesting that Nick Scholfeild was the best-value claimer on the jumps scene. Now, having watched him persuade that quirky customer Cornish Sett to come from last place to get into contention on the final circuit and then to go on to win the Badger Ales Chase at Wincanton, beating the venerated duo of Brennan and Walsh (on better-fancied horses) in a tight finish, could anyone now disagree with me?

The Irish trio of Doyle, Coleman and Fahy are receiving all the hype, and each of them is undeniably talented, but surely after today Nick Scholfield must be considered at least their equal.

I was mildly ridiculed a couple of weeks ago by some people on here for suggesting that Nick Scholfeild was the best-value claimer on the jumps scene. Now, having watched him persuade that quirky customer Cornish Sett to come from last place to get into contention on the final circuit and then to go on to win the Badger Ales Chase at Wincanton, beating the venerated duo of Brennan and Walsh (on better-fancied horses) in a tight finish, could anyone now disagree with me?

The Irish trio of Doyle, Coleman and Fahy are receiving all the hype, and each of them is undeniably talented, but surely after today Nick Scholfield must be considered at least their equal.

Nick Sholfield did very well today on Cornish Sett, but he's no more than a decent conditional on the whole. He will clearly get plenty of decent rides and will only get better, but he has a bit to find with Coleman and Doyle yet. Philip Hide looked very good indeed as a conditional, and some would say the same of Joe Tizzard (okay, perhaps not!).

Nick is certainly a chip off the ole block, he rides just like his dad did, very composed and good at getting horses jumping, plus good without needing the stick, his dad was one of the best point jockeys when I was learning the game many moons ago.

Nick's getting a lot better, and so he should with a yard like that behind him. I think it was Christian Williams who remarked the year he won the Conditional title that you learn much better and much faster when you are riding better horses - bad horses teach you bad habits

He'll take a year or two more to live down that unseating from the veteran hunter-chaser (well known horse at Nicholls, my memory really is going) at long odds on a year or so ago though LOL! I didn't mind at all, I'd backed the winner at 10/1 or something for a laugh - but he should *not* have come off that one

Back