The Gardening Thread

Your gardening beginnings certainly sound as if they were a firm (valid) foundation for gardening dislike, DO. That sounds tough. Equally, it now kind of sounds like you live on a 100-acre Scottish estate with your own live-in gardener!

Still dislike cutting the grass, always look forward to October when I can stop for a few months, but the rest of the garden I find very therapeutic - from admiring my work, to watching stuff grow and then flowering.

My parents were/are qualified garden designers and know far far more than I ever will about it, but one good tip I've taken from my mum is to try and have a variety of flowers so that you have colour all year round.
I think we all like the bit where the mower goes away for the last time in any year, Simmo. What a moment to savour!

It's interesting your parents were/are designers, they probably learned skills none of us will even have thought of, let alone know how to use to best effect.

There is so much form and colour variation you can put into a garden. The price of it all these days is a limiter, especially the plants and particularly if you're trying to introduce the more unusual/rareish types.

But yes, there's a lot to be said about the benefits of the immersive nature of the effort involved. It's definitely something where you can 'get in the flow' and lose yourself. Can be a good thing from a number of perspectives.

Liverpool was the team around that time, if memory serves me correctly. Although I think Leeds had a bit of a name, too. We'd all moved house from Shepherds Bush, 5 mins walk from QPR's Loftus Road ground. Hence the Stanley and Rodney references. But I can actually remember slotting a shot inside the makeshift 'two jumpers 7 feet apart' goal and exclaiming as excitedly as an 11 or 12-year-old would do in a mock commentator style 'and Heighway puts Liverpool 1-0 up!'

Anfield would have been packed to the rafters in those days, with standing on the terraces where you moved side to side with the crowd - go left go left go left go left go left go left go right. Haha, maybe that was just a Loftus Road thing, I don't know. Must have been some experience and atmosphere for a nine-year-old to taste!
It was an amazing experience for me at nine and I still remember it vividly to this day.

We lived in Sheffield at the time and my Dad could only get tickets for the away fans via Bramall Lane.

We were seated in a stand at the Kop end (amid increasingly-glum Blades fans!) and, after walking some way to the ground I found myself staring at a packed Kop and a crowd of well over 40,000.

Liverpool went top of the league with the win for the first time that season, which proved their first League win in the decade, so I like to think I was there right at the start of their era of 70s dominance.

I was delighted to find a record of the match online in recent years, not that I needed reminding - I already knew the Liverpool line up and the sequence of scorers off by heart.

Last edited:
What a great memory, Ian.

It's interesting, isn't it. We probably all have childhood memories of many types, based on the lives we led then, how things 'worked', and the lives our parents lived which are so far removed from our experiences of now. Only today, I was driving Mum to the hospital, and we remembered Dad would have had an AA map out trying to find it. We had a phone telling us where to turn left or right. He's either turning in his grave or thinking ' well, I did miss out on some clever stuff, didn't I.'

The 10 to 13-year-olds of today will (in most cases, if not all) have none of the memories we do. I wonder what they'll be saying in a similar discussion in 50-odd years' time. Sadly (or happily, depending on differing viewpoints), most of us likely won't be around to find out...unless...any of us has somehow cracked the longevity code!!

Thank you and absolutely.

Yes, I'd imagine laybys were in far more frequent use - for consulting road maps - back in the day.

It's strange, I never felt I was born into a seriously different era until the last ten years, but now I feel the 60s I was born in were part belong in some sepia-tinted long-gone era!

50 years on? Yeah, I expect punting will be a doddle- you’ll just strap on your Artificial Intelligence pack, turn to the 2:30 at Ascot, sit back and say “There you are then, sort that one out.” Trouble will be that the price is 100,000/1 on because AI has told everyone the same thing.

Of course, everyone will have all the worlds knowledge hard wired into their brain on their fifth birthday instead of starting school as we know it. From that day everyone will know everything - how boring!

Your gardening beginnings certainly sound as if they were a firm (valid) foundation for gardening dislike, DO. That sounds tough. Equally, it now kind of sounds like you live on a 100-acre Scottish estate with your own live-in gardener!

:ROFLMAO:

My last house had a big [rear] garden (about 30m x 30m) and I needed a petrol mower to keep it tidy. The problem was that the garden waste wheelie bin, even though full size, only held half the cuttings so I had to get them to the recycling centre (not far away at all) and had to use the big canvassy bags you get from the likes of B&Q.

Humphing the bags into the back of the car put my back out and the doc advised me to think about trying some other way of disposing of the cuttings.

A guy put a card through my door one day, offering to do gardening work for £15 per hour. I reckoned to do the garden (front and back) took me the best part of half an hour to get changed, fill the mower with petrol and move all the flower pots out of the way, then an hour and a half to do the garden itself and get the waste across to the recycling centre, then the best part of an hour to shower and tidy myself up and then, of course, my clothes were going to need washed. The guy was a young, fit fireman with a proper mower and all the other tools and equipment for the job and he did it all in less than an hour so I reckoned he was well worth his £15.

If for any reason he couldn't do it he sent his pal Patrik round, which is how the latter got started. The fireman chap became a dad and stopped doing the non-fireman stuff so P took over and he's been doing my garden ever since.

Naturally the price has gone up a bit over the years but it's still a lot cheaper than a lot of the chancers that knock the door and ask if they can quote for the work. They usually start at around £60. They obviously look at what is a nice modern house and think I can afford to throw money away. This current house is a fair bit smaller than the last one so Patrik adjusted his charges down accordingly.

It's brilliant when I get home after a day out to see the grass cut and the garden all nice and tidy and well worth the money to have all that done plus the convenience of being able to do other things instead.

I launch my cuttings over the back wall - been here 15 years and it hasn't built up to a problem sized pile yet, though there's probably great compost there to be had!!

I've got some photos to share. I'll apologise in advance. I know most people's photos can often mean a lot more to them than they might to others (dog and cat photos excepted). But I'm hoping anyone viewing will understand the emotional attachments and maybe get a sense of how that works in what I do outside.

And I'll thank Simmo for kicking it off, because I always wanted to get some of this down. And now there's an opportunity.

Some preamble to set the scene.

So we lived (until last Nov) in a house in a small village. A pleasant enough cul-de-sac with about 30 houses in it. So a village setting, but still a (pleasant) estatey-type feel. Moved there from Maidenhead (a postage stamp garden attached to a new-build) about 13-14 years ago. I couldn't do much with that, so it was a great opportunity to take something that was almost a blank canvas ( a rectangular plot, sloping from the left-hand top corner all the way to the bottom right, probably around a 4-5 feet drop over the 20 metres or so) and transform it.

All that was in it was conifers - the big ones that get totally out of control. Right round the whole outer edge of the garden. They had to be cleared, then the slope taken care of by hand and by creating levels. I learned by doing that how much levels can create interesting and varying perspectives when seen from different angles.

You'll see from an upcoming photo that my planting is based on what I like to call 'organized chaos'. So the harder landscaping gives a canvas and contemporary form, and the planting isn't regimented (as in what some would call traditional borders), but is carried out to present a seeming mish-mash of form, size, and colour (more foliage, as opposed to flowers). But there's some up-front thought to how my brain perceives the overall whole, and how that overall whole might evolve over time and as plants grow and merge.

Anyway, separate from that, there was a (semi-run down) bungalow about 400 yards away which we used to pass every day on the way to the hilly area bordering the village. It was roughly the southernmost property in the village. Lovely outlook, 4 ft hedge at the bottom of the garden with just hillside stretching away for about 800 metres. There was a public footpath leading down its left-hand side where everyone would walk their dogs up to the hills.

I remember thinking every time how great it would be to own it. All the dog walkers could pop in for a cup of tea, a piece of cake, and a chat. Lovely. One day about 7 years ago it was suddenly up for sale at a very fair price. The owner - Mary - was well known in the village and had owned it since it was built sometime in the 70s. She had to go into a nursing home but wanted to sell to someone in the village who wasn't a developer just out to make a fast buck. We were lucky and got it.

But we couldn't afford to do anything with it. A fortunate big win had paid a chunk of the other mortgage (thank you Imperial Commander and Paddy, now that's another story!) but we still needed to borrow to cover it. We had to park the dreams of what to do with it and rent to cover the payments. We just did up what was practical with a bit of painting here and there, made it pleasant and liveable.

Back to the home around the corner. Here's a photo from late spring last year. Bearing in mind the plants herein were my babies. I'd grown some from seed, and others from a foot or so high over the last 12 or 13 years. 15 different Acer varieties, a rare horizontal silver-tipped fir, the only known example of a Japanese Pagoda tree ( Styphnolobium Japonicum) in Leicestershire, a stunning fastigiate Pine that had reached over 20 feet high and a couple of feet wide. Laburnums in pots grown from seed from the offspring of Dad's original Laburnum back in Southall. And of course, his other original ferns and Geraniums. And several others besides.

Oh, and you might picture some mad punter when Solemia won the Arc, standing roughly in the middle of what was previously the sloping lawn, in between rain-storms, listening on radio, on at 160 on the Exchange, and can probably imagine the 'encouragement' when she sounded beat but somehow came back to deny Orfevre in the final strides. Surely one of the greatest final furlong come-backs of all time. Certainly, the neighbours would have been wondering what was going on. Containment of the excitement was just impossible :)

thegrange.jpg

Around the start of last year, the then current renters of the bungalow had decided to move on, and we were thinking 'maybe now's the time to do something with it'. But it was going to cost an arm and a leg. All building work does now. So this one had to sell or no way could it work. We took the plunge anyway. Borrowed the cash and got things moving.

I spent the autumn digging up whatever was feasible and ended up with twenty or so pots around the side of the house. For the established stuff, there was no way I'd be able to move most of them. I just had to hope the new owners (when they eventually came) would understand that there were several 'money can't buy' plants and trees in the garden (fortunately, that was ultimately the case).

Over at the back was my favorite Acer, a stunning small, red-leaved variety. Bit blurry, but in its glory mid last year...

redacergrange.JPG

And a few weeks before it turned this pinky shade...you can get a sense of the more red hues of the new season's growth...

redacer.jpg

But something went wrong that summer. I don't know what. By October, she was struggling badly. 13 years in the ground, I had to try and move her. And this is the result...now in a pot in the new garden.

redacerstruggling.jpg

But...look closely... about 6 inches up from the base...true resilience...

redacernewgrowth.jpg

She's fighting, and might make it. Changed forever, no doubt. But the next 5-10 years might be interesting.

A few posts back, I mentioned some less-than-ideal bricklaying skills.

I spent the whole of this last weekend on this one (including knocking a third of it down twice and rebuilding). But actually the end result isn't that bad. Even possibly one of my best. It looks like it slopes a little to the left, but that's more optical illusion than a pronounced slope (because it actually curves)...
newwall.jpg

It's not easy working with reclaims, especially for a pretend bricklayer working without lines and relying on eyesight and a spirit level. Some bricks are bent slightly already, so a non-skilled 'brickie' can find it even harder to keep a level. There are flaws, but I'll live with it. The rough-looking lower couple of courses will be hidden by seating.

That area to the left is the footpath where the dog walkers go. The plan is to leave the wall that high. I've already met dozens of people stopping to look at the transformation. Soon, the tea and cake bit might become a reality!

Now, looking the other way up the garden towards the house, a similar wall there done the weekend before has a definite slope down to the left. It'll have to come down. But clever disguise might work for a bit till I can get the brain into the right mode for knocking it all down and starting from scratch!

If I don't get messages saying ' hell's bells, Chaumi. Give it a rest with the garden monologue, won't you', then I'll continue when time allows with some transitional photos of the rest of the new garden :)

And with that, it's good night from him and good night from him.

Those acers are certainly spectacular - not something I'd be able to grow (too tender for where I am at the top of a hill on the northern reaches of the southern uplands where the wind has nothing to stop it for miles). Look forward to seeing more photos!!

PS the wall looks fine to me!

Those acers are certainly spectacular - not something I'd be able to grow (too tender for where I am at the top of a hill on the northern reaches of the southern uplands where the wind has nothing to stop it for miles).
Yeah I got the feeling you were somewhere pretty exposed, Simmo. Never had to deal with that myself and that's obviously a limiter. Would be fun (although expensive and time-consuming) trying to work a site like that out, though, and maybe completely transform parts of it. The Berberis clearly laughs in the face of adversity!

I've got a ten foot hedge at the front that cuts out a lot - and have planted various things to cut down the wind after discovering that fencing wasn't a goer after the third time they got knocked down. I have an exchange system with the local farmer - he gets my hedge cut with his machine and I give him a box of beer!

That staggered slatted fencing will hopefully do the trick for me. The stagger lets light through, lighting up areas of the plants in different ways through the day (when the sun is shining, ofc). And heavily limits the effect of wind. The previous old fence basically disintegrated on the windy days this last winter, so all that fencing is new. Pretty much all the way round. I had professional help to do that, getting a fence just right needs skills I struggle with :)

Chaumi, it’s great!! I had an Acer like that when I lived in Dorset - it was over the pond and looked really pretty when it was in full leaf. I love chaos in a garden - the brighter and more cottagey the better. My garden here is rubbish, but being a rental place I can’t do anything with it anyway, so it’s just over to weeds for the bees and periodically I get someone in to trim round the established stuff and get shot of the brambles that come up through the roses.

I had some gorgeous David Austin roses in Poole, couldn’t bring them with me but I was gutted when the new people ripped everything up and dumped it.

Ah that's magic, Simmo.

I read a few days ago something I never knew.

When the Dutch went through that bubble a long time ago, there was much attention placed on creating these specimens with colour variations. They were seen as the most valuable and desirable. Don't think they knew at the time and not sure how 'recently' it was identified, but turned out the variations were actually down to viruses (or something akin) in the plants.

They probably put a lot of effort into creating a true blue one, too. But failed I think.

Some great views and plenty of places to hide, Simmo. And some lovely established specimens. Great pics!

Actually, it just struck me. If there was ever a TH member's game of hide and seek, we know the perfect venue!

Dorset's generally more temperate than much of the rest of the UK, Trudij. It probably showed in the health of your garden. Would have been great to see. Those people that tore stuff up may well answer for it on their day of reckoning!

Back