The hacking incident yesterday

I may end up uninstalling it, then, rather than buy the RAM addition. What do you think? I only do emails and mainly this and a couple of other sites, in addition to careful browsing. Shall I just dump the blasted thing? Jeez, are they all like this? Norton was terrible - barely got to anything in under 15 minutes!

I had a similar experience with paid for stuff and got rid of it, Kriz. Mind you I don't have bolts, padlocks and alarm systems for my house either.

But the twin leopards do quite a good job, don't they?

I'll probably get shot of the 2011 version and re-download the freebie, Grey. I had Virgin's PCGuard up previously, which was also free and okay in guarding, except it drove me nuts with endless little pop-up boxes announcing whatever it was doing. It was like some kid with ADD. I dropped it, and the AVG free dowload recommended by Galileo was just fine. I must resist the lure of "New! Improved! Better Than Ever!" advertising.

Last edited:
I may end up uninstalling it, then, rather than buy the RAM addition. What do you think? I only do emails and mainly this and a couple of other sites, in addition to careful browsing. Shall I just dump the blasted thing? Jeez, are they all like this? Norton was terrible - barely got to anything in under 15 minutes!

Uninstall and remove

Use the free version. Its perfectly acceptable as a deterrent

Done! I decided this time to use the free Microsoft Essentials Security, which is nice and simple and won't try to flog me upgraded versions. What peed me off was when I was asking AVG 2011 to Uninstall, it announced that I still had 945 possible threats on the pc. So where the hell were its hitmen? Anyway, just Installed and Run MES, which tells me there's nothing nasty in the woodpile, so all I need now is AVG to honour their 30-day moneyback guarantee and reimburse my £42.99. Everything is going at proper speed now, with screens getting populated without waiting for the kettle to boil!

As always, folks, thanks for insights and advice. Always appreciated by a pc numpty!

Done! I decided this time to use the free Microsoft Essentials Security, which is nice and simple and won't try to flog me upgraded versions. What peed me off was when I was asking AVG 2011 to Uninstall, it announced that I still had 945 possible threats on the pc. So where the hell were its hitmen? Anyway, just Installed and Run MES, which tells me there's nothing nasty in the woodpile, so all I need now is AVG to honour their 30-day moneyback guarantee and reimburse my £42.99. Everything is going at proper speed now, with screens getting populated without waiting for the kettle to boil!

As always, folks, thanks for insights and advice. Always appreciated by a pc numpty!

Download avast along with MS stuff, avast is perfectly fine, doesn't slow stuff down at all (well not for me)

Eewww... I always worry that it'll tell me it will fight with something else, Col. I've got MES, Windows Firewall and CrapCleaner on board - will Avast be okay to put on with all of those little warriors at the gates?

Okay, I will give it a go, Col. At the mo, everything is cantering along very nicely, so I'm wary of putting up something which might reduce it to a trot!

Back