The Irish Oaks

Guest_

At the Start
No Lush Lashes which is not a surprise given the ground looks sure to be on the easy side.

1 Adored (APO'Brien)
2 Ard Fheis (JSBolger)
3 Chinese White (DKWeld)
4 Festival Princess (MHalford)
5 Gagnoa (AFabre (in FR))
6 Gentle On My Mind (APO'Brien)
7 Honoria (APO'Brien)
8 Ice Queen (APO'Brien)
9 Icon Project (USA) (BJMeehan )
10 Katiyra (JMOxx)
11 Love To Dance (APO'Brien)
12 Mad About You (DKWeld)
13 Moonstone (GB) (APO'Brien)
14 Perihelion (APO'Brien)
15 Prima Luce (JSBolger)
16 Rosa Grace (GB) (RGuest )
17 Silk Affair (MGQuinlan
18 Summercove (JJMurphy)

The Anglesey Stakes:

1 Bushranger (DWachman)
2 Chorus Of Angels (GB) (DWachman) -
3 Egypt (GB) (APO'Brien)
4 Glisten (GB) (DWachman)
5 Grand Ducal (APO'Brien)
6 Heart Of Fire (KPrendergast)
7 Intense Focus (USA) (JSBolger)
8 Kamado (GB) (ELynam)
9 Marquesa (USA) (DWachman)
10 Miss Puss (USA) (DWachman)
11 Peter Tchaikovsky (GB) (APO'Brien) -
12 Prayer Boat (JJMurphy)
13 Sea Of Marmara (USA) (APO'Brien)
14 Smokey Storm (GB) (WJarvis (in GB))
15 Three Way Stretch (JTGorman)
16 Westphalia (APO'Brien)
17 What's Up Pussycat (DWachman)

While the opening two year old card has entries including a half brother by Cape Cross to Galileo (Sea The Stars), a full brother to High Chaparral (Black Bear Island) and a horse I know trackside is interested in, Initiation. Good card.

Last edited:
I've said since the Prix Saint-Allary that Gagnoa looked an Irish Oaks filly, and nothing I've seen since has changed that view.

Easy ground should suit as well.

Should certainly be a good test of the Zarkova form. Over this trip you'd imagine Gagnoa would be able to improve on what she achieved in France. Moonstone should be suited ideally by The Curragh as should the Oxx filly. If those three turn up it should be an interesting race.

The Diane form is every bit as strong as the Epsom Oaks form IMO.

Moonstone looks an obvious danger, but I'm not totally convinced Katiyra gets a mile and a half (particularly with cut in the ground). I would also have stamina doubts about the Weld fillies, Chinese White and Mad About You.

That said, it doesn't look like I am going to get the price I had hoped on Gagnoa. Looks like she's best-priced 4/1 at the minute.

I have invested heavily in Moonstone this evening. Surprised if you can get anywhere near her current price by off time.

Personally I would wait until the day -remember how Peeping Fawn drifted last year.Will be very interested to see the Ballydoyle longshots on Sunday.

I like the way they left Moonstone off and avoided the Pretty Polly. Physically she looked a million times better at Epsom than at York. Given that and her breeding I expect her to make another big jump for this...any ease in the ground will suit her well. Peeping Fawn drifted that day because she was in season. Of the Ballydoyle outsiders Gentle On My Mind looked a filly of some potential last week, but she was as green as grass that day and its hard to see her ready for this. Adored is surely better but I think she is very one paced and Murtagh got her completely wrong last time.

I think Chinese White will also run much better here than at Epsom. The Oxx filly is not open to as much improvement as the others and soft ground might not suit.

Last edited:
I've said since the Prix Saint-Allary that Gagnoa looked an Irish Oaks filly, and nothing I've seen since has changed that view.

Easy ground should suit as well.

Very nice horse, hopefully a competent jockey will be booked cause it wont have Johnny Murtagh on it that time round which is a shame he gave it a great ride.

3/1 so far.

Very nice horse, hopefully a competent jockey will be booked cause it wont have Johnny Murtagh on it that time round which is a shame he gave it a great ride.

3/1 so far.

5's with Paddy Power, redriot. In fact, I don't believe she's as short as 3's anywhere.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

Hello felllow board members, I am worried about the O'Brian factor in the Oaks esecpially he knows that Murtagh having rode her in France knows how she operates, I think it can win here given the fair ride it deserves, and it would be awesome if Fabre can persudade Johnny to ride it..

I think O'Brian is the one who can implement big race tacics the best, his stable jockey has ridden one of the best horses in it who he doesnt train, and I'm pretty sure Johnny Murtagh will not be on Gagnoa for the Irish Oaks,a nd when O'Brian has a lot of entries you really should beware of betting against him, no matter how good your horse is on betting.

Even if I thought O'Brien was going to send his jockeys out to stop other horses - which I don't believe for a second - Gagnoa is owned by Coolmore.

They did stop Tartan Bearer imo deliberately (if it was truly the horses fault why did it go in a straight line when Frozen Fire started to pass), and there has been many other occasions as well, since they were themselves the wrong side if unlawfull play from Godolphin, and recitfied it ever since.

But down to te race Gagnoa surely is the one to beat, Zarkava kicked everyones butt obviously but Gagnoa looked a great second regardless.

If you watch the race again you will see the horse veering all over the track.Murtagh picks up his whip to steer his horse away from the traffic on his outside before switching the whip to his other hand to get the horse off the rail.This is when he caused the interference. The winner was bumped too. The only problem I have with all the O'Brien runners is that the no hopers get in the way, they don't go out to cause interference.

Getting away from the ridiculous conspiracy theories and back to the race I can definitely see an upset on Sunday.

The Oxx filly is not open to as much improvement as the others and soft ground might not suit.

Why? She`s bred to be a 12f filly and in her first attempt at the trip she was all over the place coming down the hill and hung left in the straight. She hated the track and still managed to get placed. Obviously if it`s really soft that would be a concern but Moonstone is far from certain to confirm the form imo.

That said Gagnoa is even more likely to relish the trip, she basically didn`t have the speed over 11f in the Diane and is overpriced and should be challenging for favouritism.

Last edited:
Was there a reason given by Bolger as to why Lush Lashes did run in this race ?

She was Fav for this only a week ago.

Back