The King George

I wouldn't take 20-1 about Sommersby in todays race.

Genuinely fear for his chances in this field let alone a King George, realistically 6 of the horses lining up here could topple him 5l+

There you have it, Gauvain a 5L winner.

Do you still think Sommersby can place in a King George?

Some of you must be drinking funny liqour or its that village fresh air blocking your sinuses

...seems big! Worth mentioning that Hen is not sure he's the right type to win this, she reckons he might not be sharp enough. Mind you she's like that.

For a horse considered not sharp enough he was given a god-awful ride.:mad:

Somersby is now the former future Arkle winner, the former future Champion Chase winner, the former future Ryanair winner and shortly he will be the former future King George winner.... if you catch where I'm going with this.

And the former future Peterborough Chase winner.....

He's done his usual... gone up and down in the right places and made a token effort to close down the leader for a place. He seems to do this at whatever level he's pitched at. A very frustrating type. No one will will have made money from him today (...not even Katharine).

Last edited:
I'm scratching my head trying to back up my claim of yesterday re placing in the KG. The one thing left is that the extra half mile could help him. I've thought for a while he should be running over further.

I initially felt that leaving Long Run aside, and wondering if Kauto might not run, then there would be two places up for grabs. Master Minded, I'm not as confident that he wants 3m, and in any case, he can still throw in the odd poor run.

But I think I'll just call it a day with Somersby. He's been consistent enough without threatening but in future there'll be others around open to more improvement.

I'm scratching my head trying to back up my claim of yesterday re placing in the KG. The one thing left is that the extra half mile could help him. I've thought for a while he should be running over further.

I initially felt that leaving Long Run aside, and wondering if Kauto might not run, then there would be two places up for grabs. Master Minded, I'm not as confident that he wants 3m, and in any case, he can still throw in the odd poor run.

But I think I'll just call it a day with Somersby. He's been consistent enough without threatening but in future there'll be others around open to more improvement.

i'll gladly have the place odds @ 100/1 win odds for the KG...needs the trip..and is near guaranteed a place imo

Do you think so, EC? It's not like I thought he was a superstar or anything but I was quietly confident he'd run well at Kempton.

I was disappointed with him today regardless of the trip.

Do you think so, EC? It's not like I thought he was a superstar or anything but I was quietly confident he'd run well at Kempton.

I was disappointed with him today regardless of the trip.

i would mainly back the place on betfair Katharine ..which i will do on the day..because at this moment i haven't got a stronger fancy for the race win wise..it will be 98% a place bet..i might have just a miniscule win bet..just so if a miracle did happen and he won it didn't spoil my Christmas;)

3 miles he will cherish for sure..ratings wise its not a disastrous run today through Mr Moonshine

i'll gladly have the place odds @ 100/1 win odds for the KG...needs the trip..and is near guaranteed a place imo

...like I say he seems to run the same sort of race at whatever level he performs at. I can see him doing something similar in the KG, place or thereabouts.

...like I say he seems to run the same sort of race at whatever level he performs at. I can see him doing something similar in the KG, place or thereabouts.

his place form is quite respectable..and improvement for the trip makes him even more placeable..that long Kempton Straight will be up his street

For mine, it was nothing more than a warm-up with an eye to 3 weeks hence, and had he been ridden nearly as positively as previously this season, would have won turning handsprings, and be half the price he is now.

...this is how it is with him though. He's finished runner up too many times for it to be a coincidence. He's a herd horse.

Last edited:
Find that impossibly hard to believe-why would they do that.

I am not a fantasist Luke

Days of Christmas
Boylesports will be offering Very Generous Enhanced Prices from Thursday 8th and Monday 19th of December on selected markets. Max bet will be £20/€20, Each selection will be available online for a limited time frame only. ** Web Offer only **

5/1 was available and I took the price, apparently they announce when via twitter but it is not an hour as I said its like minutes...Not that it mattered anyway :rolleyes:

Sorry for doubting you Jakers-the 20 max and web only conditions explains it all.
Powers are offering enhanced show prices on all Rubys mounts from here to Christmas-max bet avgrand.Boyles are a mickey mouse outfit.

Thats ok Luke - I had to take a second look myself and yes the limited stake says it all.

Anyway got to go as i am off out for xmas drinks with three busty blonde ladies who are fighting over me - I promise you I am not a fantasist :D

Scary to think that Long Run is the youngest horse still engaged in the King George.

My thinking at the moment in crude terms is this:

Long Run - Worthy favourite but just a suspicion that he might get outpaced at a crucial stage, especially with a lot of pace horses in the race this year.

Kauto Star - I think he's a got a huge chance if he runs to his Betfair form. THat is the big 'if' and his participation is still in doubt.

Master Minded - Can't have him staying at all and also think his form reads pretty poorly, especially after Somersby's effort today.

Captain Chris - Big fan of this horse and had a nice win on him in the Arkle. I'm convinced he will be at his best over 3m and feel there is tonnes of improvement still to come. However, interrupted preparation is a concern.

Diamond Harry - Always best when fresh and easily beaten in the Betfair. His supporters simply can't come and say he'll improve for the run this time. Also first time right-handed in his career. No chance for me.

Somersby - Just not good enough whatever the trip. I could seem him running into a place, especially as I don't think Master Minded will stay but can't win.

Weird Al, Riverside Theatre, Noble Prince, Medermit must be doubtful starters and the rest look optimistic at best.

My 1-2-3 would be Long Run, Kauto Star and Captain Chris, not necessarily in that order.

I agree with pretty much all of that, Zenyatta.

I suspect Long Run will win again, as he has age on his side and he's a dual winner over course and distance. He was tapped for speed at Haydock, just as he was briefly at Cheltenham before staying on strongly. But I wouldn't worry about that finding him out here.

I think an on-song Kauto, should he run, is the only one who can stop him winning the KG.

Last edited:
Back