The King George

I could understand it if it was in an amateur race, it doesn't reflect well that his 'explanation' was dismissed out of hand.

I don't know how many Amateur races there are between 1st Jan when the ban starts & Gold Cup day, but guess he won't get much race riding in this period and wouldn't want to clock up any further offences in the meantime as there'll be no such get-out clause on Gold Cup day.

Yes Kauto Star is running!

I'm so pleased Paul made the right decision, the task he would have faced at Cheltenham was too tough, risky and life threatening - take him to a course he loves, a record he could take that would never be beaten again.

I am so glad they are taking the King here, I am booking my tickets right away! to see him win a 5th King George, got my Kauto Scarf and "I'm a Kauto Fan" banner from 2009 to take with me.

Come on KING KAUTO!

........I'm so pleased Paul made the right decision, the task he would have faced at Cheltenham was too tough, risky and life threatening!

I don't particularly want to give you a hard time, Bruce, as your enthusiasm is quite endearing.........but this is hogwash.

I don't particularly want to give you a hard time, Bruce, as your enthusiasm is quite endearing.........but this is hogwash.

Not sure Kauto Star could take another fall like 2010, you want to minimise the risk of injury with a horse of his stature at his age not maximise the risk.

At Kempton you know he clears the fences with half a foot to spare and you can expect a clean rythmic round of jumping.

I would strike while the irons hot, just broke a track record at Haydock and it would be foolish not to make use of the King George, the horse knows when its time to race and if you missed out December whilst Kauto knows he's still in good health he might think that's it? time to wind down, and when you're trying to prepare him for a mamouth task the worst thing you want is a horse that's not 150% ready to fight mentality at Cheltenham, you can't just tick these programs on like a switch.

He would be strung along at Cheltenham by a younger generation where the Irish genuinly are coming on STRONG with their chasers and it would be too much of a task to ask for him, he owes the crowd nothing and I could only see him being pulled up in March or having a crashing fall/

Not sure Kauto Star could take another fall like 2010, you want to minimise the risk of injury with a horse of his stature at his age not maximise the risk.

At Kempton you know he clears the fences with half a foot to spare and you can expect a clean rythmic round of jumping.

I would strike while the irons hot, just broke a track record at Haydock and it would be foolish not to make use of the King George, the horse knows when its time to race and if you missed out December whilst Kauto knows he's still in good health he might think that's it? time to wind down, and when you're trying to prepare him for a mamouth task the worst thing you want is a horse that's not 150% ready to fight mentality at Cheltenham, you can't just tick these programs on like a switch.

He would be strung along at Cheltenham by a younger generation where the Irish genuinly are coming on STRONG with their chasers and it would be too much of a task to ask for him, he owes the crowd nothing and I could only see him being pulled up in March or having a crashing fall/

KS has made several errors at Kempton; off the top of my head, the most shuddering being 4 out in his first win, followed by a couple of heart-in-the-mouth moments at the final fence. He obviously didn't jump or travel well in last season's renewal, and his only real flawless round there was in his star-turn 4th win.

I disagree that he would be 'strung along' at Cheltenham. Indeed, his prominent display in the race last year wouldn't be all that far behind the form of his first win in the race. If he is in similar form to Haydock, and is allowed to bowl along in the Gold Cup, there's not may of the Irish challengers I would take to go with him, let alone be good enough to get him into trouble early doors.

Last edited:
KS has made several errors at Kempton; off the top of my head, the most shuddering being 4 out in his first win, followed by a couple of heart-in-the-mouth moments at the final fence. He obviously didn't jump or travel well in last season's renewal, and his only real flawless round there was in his star-turn 4th win.

I disagree that he would be 'strung along' at Cheltenham. Indeed, his prominent display in the race last year wouldn't be all that far behind the form of his first win in the race. If he is in similar form to Haydock, and is allowed to bowl along in the Gold Cup, there's not may of the Irish challengers I would take to go with him, let alone be good enough to get him into trouble early doors.

The problem the year he fell is that they were not going fast enough for him and he made that horrendous mistake as a consequence which knocked the stuffing out of him and I am sure contributed to that fall . I am sure that is why Ruby rode him so prominently last year - when he is in his rhythm is when he is at his best .

If he is well and right Long Run is going to have to come back to his very best to beat him on KG day .

I'm delighted he's running at Kempton and if he wins please God make PN see sense and don't send him to Cheltenham again.

As far as Sam WC goes I'm not into this banning jockeys from riding in Group 1 races.

Racing rules should be changed so no jockey unless he's been charged with something like stopping ahorse should be banned from riding in a grade 1.

Potentially you could be fining the guy an absolute fortune. Craig Williams is a classic example when he was banned from ridng the Melbourne Cup winner it cost him a fortune. Maybe $aus240,000 ?? whatever!! but most offences are committed without mailice and no court in the world would levy such a fine on an individual for such a minor offence.

Jockeys with a winning chance dream of winning races like the King George, the National, the Gold Cup etc almost everytime their head hits the pillow. To take that away from them and perhaps produce a massive fine on top for doing something like taking the wrong course or losing count of how many times you smacked a horse on the ar$e on the run in is almost criminal in itself.

Amatuer or not, percentage or not I am glad he keeps the mount and the BHA should see sense and use their discretion when banning jockeys.

I'd agree with what you say about bans in big races, Tanlic, the impact can be much too severe.

The only additional point I would make is that for a journeyman jockey their equivalent of the Melbourne Cup is not necessarily a Grade 1 race, it could be a decent handicap at their local track.

I think jockeys at all levels should be allowed to play a joker that gives them the right to swap one or two dates a year of suspension for another date.

If Kauto won the King George, in what way would it be "sense" to swerve the Gold Cup? He would clearly have demonstrated the required level of form (twice) to be competitive, and also his well-being. It would be stupid not to let him take his chance.

Kauto Star has never gone into a King George this prepared

It's a frightening thought..it really is.

Turning into the straight as the pacemaker fades, Kauto Star takes over reving up the gears as a bunched field are left behind with their knickers around their ankles and 10 lengths to find as the crowds roar is defening from the behind its like being at the end of a runway as the star is taking off in front!

There is no hope for the rest of the field, all of them will be bunched together struggling to find a change of gear looking on from the rear they'll have ringside seats at one of the greatest movie premieres to be seen, all the jockeys will be clapping Kauto as he passes the line as they are approaching the 2nd last.

Last edited:
I think KS could bounce at kempton..he was trained for the Betfair and that effort will have taken a lot out of him at his age......but i can see the other side of why he is running of course.

If he doesn't win the KG..he can get a good break in before the GC..obviously a win at Kempton could usher retirement possibly

my heart would love to see him win in a fortnight..but imo its odds on he bounces

I don't think there was any quetion of either or, it was either just the Gold Cup or both.

Watching him run last year, he was clearly below par in the King George (off the bridle down the home straight for the first time), but in the Gold Cup, Nicholls' comments regarding his breathing ring very true to me. He looked the winner at the home turn but stopped very quickly thereafter.

If he really is back to his best then he will take all the beating once again. Thought it pains me to say it for fear of putting the mockers on him, he would be my idea of the winner at this stage. If he is in top form then he wins as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think there was any quetion of either or, it was either just the Gold Cup or both.

Watching him run last year, he was clearly below par in the King George (off the bridle down the home straight for the first time), but in the Gold Cup, Nicholls' comments regarding his breathing ring very true to me. He looked the winner at the home turn but stopped very quickly thereafter.

If he really is back to his best then he will take all the beating once again. Thought it pains me to say it for fear of putting the mockers on him, he would be my idea of the winner at this stage. If he is in top form then he wins as far as I'm concerned.

there isn't any question re his ability imo..its whether he can show it back to back after a peak effort for him last time..peak effort re his age that is..he's run better in the past but that Betfair win was extraordinary for a horse that looked on the way down at Punchestown

the normal stuation is you bring a horse to peak over a few runs and along the way hopefully win those races..we have a different situation here..KS was trained to the minute for the Betfair Chase..all that exertion without any warm up..the KG is now an afterthought for KS and that extreme effort will have taken its toll imo.

I agree with EC here. I have the same concern re Kauto as well, though there's no question that I want him to win the race.

Nicholls' comments re Long Run. All the times he's said Kauto would come on for his first run of the season and would be cherry ripe for the KG, but the same can't apply to Long Run?

I agree with EC here. I have the same concern re Kauto as well, though there's no question that I want him to win the race.

Nicholls' comments re Long Run. All the times he's said Kauto would come on for his first run of the season and would be cherry ripe for the KG, but the same can't apply to Long Run?

Nicholls is often a sour prick, especially should anyone suggest King Kauto won't win a particular race or question his jumping etc..

Back