The Ladbroke

DukeofMarmalade

At the Start
Anybody got any thoughts on this? I'm keen to take on the favourite, he's a class act no doubt but for a proclaimed reluctant jumper 4/1 in a big handicap is short.

The two I'm considering are Sailors Warn and Abergavenny. If Prospect Wells is thrown in off his mark then taking a line through Steps To Freedom, Sailors Warn has to have a big chance. Abergavenny impressed me in the Paddy Power, he shaped well and being a young inexperienced horse he's open to improvement. Does anybody know if they are both probable runners?

I also get the feeling Rajdhani Express is being laid out for something, not sure it's this though.

Not wild about Sailors Warn at all..have never been overly keen on him. He's only handy sized and seems to take a lot out of himself jumping. Has been punted a few times by connections and disappointed on more than one occasion. Disappointing so many of the ones I liked for this are out.

I backed Abergavenny in the greatwood and I think that is the key piece of form. Abergavenny has only had four runs over hurdles registerign three wins and his third in the Greatwood.

Him and Brampour against the field for me.

I really like Gibb River, and think he will come on for his Sandown run and the flatter track will suit him well. The favourite must go well, and again I think a fast pace and flat track will suit him as well.

Hard to work out what they're laying Rajdhani Express out for tbh - he's a horse handicapped on his form as a 3yo at the back end of 2010 and who did little in France as a 4yo and was unplaced on his UK debut at Sandown. He has a very similar profile in that regard to another Henderson/Waley-Cohen horse in Stravinsky Dance as they both ran well in top 3yo hurdles in France and then went off the boil as 4yos, the only positive for me is that RE showed up well for a long way at Sandown until dropping out after two out IIRC.

Gonna give Via Gallilea another chance. I would have liked Prospect Wells as unoriginal as it is, but having watched the Nicholls horses the last couple of days I'm wondering whether they have just gone off the boil a little.

I've gone for an Each Way on Tonic Mellysse, I'm not convinced with this Prospect Wells that Paul Nicholls has a real structure for his career and will just contest the best races because he is a high class animal but I do believe he will end up being a good marker for his proper projects like Brampour & hopefully Tonic Mellysse.

This was the comments at Ayr;

He hadn´t really acclimatised when he ran in the Adonis Hurdle. He is a much-improved horse. We were pleased with that, he jumped great and he galloped on. I am unsure of plans, Simon is not here today and we need to have a good chat. He is not in the Grade 1 at Punchestown - the Swinton is the obvious other race but we need to talk about it. He is going the right way and we will treat him like a nice horse.- Dan Skelton, trainer´s assistant

He's run with promise in in England despite being targeted really high early on and fast tracked to Chasing this year which was a fruitful run untill falling when looking the likely winner.

This will be an easier task for the horse, who may have felt the ground at Cheltenham when it was riding on the fast side but based on the French form he should relish a little bit of cut whilst his running style suggests flat track bully and you can be assured that off this weight Paul would be extremely disapointed if he didn't reach the frame - a lot of talk about Brampour & Prospect Wells whilst this horse has gone under the radar off a pathetic weight with bundles of improvement to come.

Hard not to like PN's Prospect Wells who jumped really well last time and never looked like losing. It will take a good one to stop him in this and his price looks very fair to me.

If the weather doesn't improve Ascot should see quite a bit of rain over the next could of days and this race could turn out to be quite a test for more than a few of these.

Prospect Wells should be ok if the ground is testing but Billy Elison's Marsh Warbler will absolutely love it. 20/1 with Laddies was way too big.

Marsh Walrbler ew

Apparently the workrider of Brampour rode upside Tonic Mellysse and was asked who would you have your money on - she said "Brampour, JUST!"

Hope this soft ground plays into the hands of Tonic Mellysse, think he's been overlooked by the hype of Prospect Wells - a thorough dog whose already been beaten by Steps To Freedom this year.

Bookmakers know Prospect Wells isn't good, a lot of people are hyping this horse up and the bookmakers are lapping it up! still people trying to get involved @ 4's etc, makes me laugh and you wonder why Bookmakers are never skint.

It was Nicholl's daughter and she rode Brampour and Tonic Mellysse in sucessive lots.

"I thought that my daughter Megan could be the key to what is the best of my trio here. She has finished school for the Christmas holidays, so was riding work this morning. She was on Brampour first lot, and he worked with Prospect Wells. And when I asked her how Brampour went, she said: "He is flying Dad!". And then she worked Tonic Mellysse second lot and reported that he went really well, too. So I said to her, you have had ridden or been upsides all three of my Ladbrokes runners now, which is the best one?
"Brampour. Just!" was the answer." (Twitter)

Last edited:
It was Nicholl's daughter and she rode Brampour and Tonic Mellysse in sucessive lots.

"I thought that my daughter Megan could be the key to what is the best of my trio here. She has finished school for the Christmas holidays, so was riding work this morning. She was on Brampour first lot, and he worked with Prospect Wells. And when I asked her how Brampour went, she said: "He is flying Dad!". And then she worked Tonic Mellysse second lot and reported that he went really well, too. So I said to her, you have had ridden or been upsides all three of my Ladbrokes runners now, which is the best one?
"Brampour. Just!" was the answer." (Twitter)

Thank you for that!

Where did you find this?

Agree about Marsh Warbler. Similar chance on the book with Brampour. Big price on BF (26)

Last edited:
Cheers.

Such a boost to Rock on Ruby's form. I thought Raya Star ran a cracker at Newbury, running up against 2 very well handicapped horses, and I think there could be a little more left to come, depending on what the handicapper does after that.

Back