The Leger

Ballydoyle are looking extremely light as regards older horses for next year. At least 1 of their top trio will have to stay in training, as otherwise Age of aquarius seems to be their only good 3 year old still in training (and not a filly to speak of). I do think Poet can improve to win some really good races though.

I would have thought Age of Aquarius will as well.

They have definitely been more ruthless in their culling this year coolmore.

They keep horses on that they think will improve as stallion prospects or horses that will be handy as lead horses etc at home. The likes of Changingoftheguard etc never really fitted into that criteria.

How much would you expect them to have got for Changingoftheguard, or for that matter other good horses sold over the last year or 2?

They usually go for a fair price. It's better to get some return as grist to the mill.

Monday, 14 September 2009: Clients of the David Hayes are reported to have purchased Irish Melbourne Cup entry Changingoftheguard despite his failure in the English St Leger at Doncaster on Saturday.

Offers for the Aidan O'Brien-trained three-year-old were lodged before his St Leger flop.

Despite finishing only sixth behind the Godolphin winner Mastery the sale is reported to have been finalised in the last 24 hours subject to a veterinary clearance.

However it is still not certain if he will be rushed to Australia to contest this year's Melbourne Cup in November.

To make the Melbourne Cup field he must enter quarantine in the UK in the next two weeks but it would be unusual for Hayes to rush a horse into a Melbourne Cup at his first Australian start on such a short time frame.

Changingoftheguard was looked on as a leading Melbourne Cup prospect after he finished second in the Ebor Handicap at York last month.

O'Brien scratched his other Melbourne Cup entry Age Of Aquarius from the St Leger after suffering a training setback and it would appear the Ballydoyle stable is now unlikely to be represented at this year's spring carnival.

Ballydoyle are looking extremely light as regards older horses for next year. At least 1 of their top trio will have to stay in training, as otherwise Age of aquarius seems to be their only good 3 year old still in training (and not a filly to speak of). I do think Poet can improve to win some really good races though.

I doubt he is a star but I have followed Augustusthestrong with keen interest since I saw his pedigree last year. Cost a fortune at the sales and won his maiden today at Listowel. Out of Fire The Groom (dam of Stravinsky) and by A.P Indy - a sire who's stock get better with age. Has absolutely no big race entries at all which suggests they know he is nothing special but he ran a cracker at Dundalk on his season debut against a 109 rated horse and I hope they at least give him a shot at something half decent before selling him off or something. Just a horse I have taken a shine to.

Ballydoyle are looking extremely light as regards older horses for next year. QUOTE]

With Soldier of Fortune and Septimus not having raced so far this season, they have been very light on older horse this year. Only Yeats and Poet have contributed any Group Race wins with Frozen Fire and Thewayyouare having disappointed.

Back