The Lincoln returning to Lincoln?

Aldaniti

At the Start
Interesting to read that racing may return to Lincoln racecourse within the next five years, not sure how likely that is though,

This on the back of the news that that racing is unlikely ever to return to Great leighs which I find a shame,

Which now defunct racecourse would you like to see return to the racing calender?

I'd like to see Lincoln return but can't see how they'll do it. There's a busy in-road into Lincoln which cuts in between the course and the grandstand, surely they couldn't shut that, it would cause havoc. Also, the track is just a 1m straight, meaning races over this distance aren't possible and on that note, the Lincoln by-pass dual-carriageway cuts through the course the 3f marker and they couldn't shut that either.

It's always quite poignant driving into Lincoln and having a still recognisable straight mile on your left and an old grandstand on your right. The road seems a pretty insurmountable problem, to me.

My dad once told me a story about Lincoln. He went to a meeting there in the 1940s with some mates just after he'd been demobbed. He was in desperate need of the toilet - and not for a pee - but he took one look at their disgusting state and decided he'd rather not. Eventually, nature took its course and he was left with no option. It was a horrible experience but with a happy ending because as he came out the next race was about to start. He took one look at the bookie's board in front of him and felt compelled to back "The Job" who obliged at 20/1.

Just found this on wikkipedia

Lincoln Racecourse is a former horse racing venue to the west of the city of Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England.
Lincoln Council is backing an ambitious plan to reopen the course by 2013. Racecourse inspectors have visited the former course and have confirmed that there is no reason in principle why racing could not recommence.
A private firm is putting together a business case to regenerate the Carholme Road Grandstand facilities and reclaim the city's racing tradition.
Initially between three and four meetings would be held annually. But it is hoped that, within a generation, Lincoln will have seized back its place as a premier racing venue.
Even the famous Lincoln Handicap race, now held at Doncaster, could be brought back to the city, it is claimed.
The Lincoln Handicap (or Lincolnshire Handicap) is a flat horse race in the United Kingdom for four-year-old and above thoroughbreds. It is run over a distance of 1 mile (1,609 metres) at Doncaster Racecourse in late March or early April.
The race was first run in 1858 at Lincoln Racecourse, Lincoln, and was relocated to Doncaster in 1965 following the closure of its original venue. It is the first major handicap race of the British flat racing season. At the original course, west of the City of Lincoln, the A57 main road passed between the course and the grandstand. During race meetings, this was closed off and traffic diverted, enabling BBC cameras to follow the leaders of the race at close distance all the way from start to the winning post.

There's a book called "A Long Time Gone" which covers lots of defunct courses. Not read it myself, but I'm sure someone here has.

There's a book called "A Long Time Gone" which covers lots of defunct courses. Not read it myself, but I'm sure someone here has.

Thanks Gareth, will have a look out for that, i've wanted to read up a bit about a course that closed just up the road from us in the 50's/60s
seen a few piccys etc but would like to know more about it

Would be interesting if they brought Lincoln back, only course to do so, I think. ???

It's a brilliant book, it was even re-issued with updates a couple of years ago. Well worth a read, but it is sad too. After you read it you can go around looking for remnants of courses past. Like a running rail left at Hurst Park near Kempton, it's now a housing estate with names of the roads after horses who ran there.

Lincoln is a great city and it would be amazing for me to have a flat course so near by, with the lovely Market Rasen so close, too. I just cannot see how it's workable. The grandstand looks lovely but I've a feeling they'd need to expand it or build another one as well. It looks too small. Also, I have no idea what they'll do, build a round course, too? I haven't the time to read the full plans, but I'm sure they're outlined somewhere.

Great book is "A Long Time Gone" - walked what's left of the old Lewes course early last year with a couple of workmates. Still in tact with the stand and Tote buildings now being Suzy Smith's stableblock (IIRC). The old running rail is still there but it's amazing just how tight and turning the track actually was, gorgeous views across from the 2m start to the finish line and on the walk up to the course you pass Towzer Gosden's old stables.

I too would love to see the Phoenix Park reopen,it was one of the most beautiful racecourse in its day.Have many happy memories of there as my grandfather trained in the park,alongwith Ruby Walsh's grandfather at the time.Was amazing place to train racehorses.Unfortunately all the yards have been sold due to rise in house prices as its right on outskirts of Dublin, they have also built some very ugly apartments on the track which are now mostly empty due to economic crisis.

Spoons, I could bore you for hours with my memories of the Park. I grew up in the area and often saw the highly strung colts and fillies filing out of your grandfather's yard and jig-jogging their way into the Park through the Castleknock Gate. My dad had a hunter stationed across the road in McDonald's and I had the lucky job of riding it out after school each day. As you say, an amazing place to train racehorses and a fantastic environment to have so close to the city.

The loss of the racecourse was a bad blow and I'm glad I was already out of the country by that time, which made the loss less immediate. Ireland used always have decent sprinters, but after the Park closed the supply became more sporadic and in recent years seems to have dried up completely. The straight five and six furlong track was very slightly downhill and it seemed made for speed.

And as you say, it was one of the most beautiful racecourses in its day. I must have gone to most of the meetings there in the 1980s and I've held on to the race cards.

Courses Long Gone...

Yesterday, Mrs Stodge and I took a trip on the train to Broadstairs, a delightful little resort on the East Kent coast (for those who don't know it). The town's main claim to fame is its association with Charles Dickens who lived there in a place called "Bleak House".

There was a lovely little museum until a fire destroyed much of the interior of the house three or four years ago.

That aside, the train passed through Wye, which was a racing venue until either the mid-60s or early-70s. If memory serves, it was a jumping venue so in competition with the likes of Folkestone and Plumpton down that way.

From what little I know, it was frequented by the top NH riders of their day and men like Stan Mellor and Ron Atkins were regulars at the track. I gather the track made Plumpton look like a galloping circuit and I recall someone (not sure if it was Ray Goldstein) describing riding Wye on a novice chaser as "like riding the wall of death".

I'm not sure where the course was in relation to the station but not too far I would imagine.

Back