The Nicky Henderson Thread 2019 / 2020

My main reservation about Champ is that he's actually older than Al Boum Photo and Kemboy and it's taken this long to get him to novice chases.

Granted they all improve at different times and rates but.......

My main reservation about Champ is that he's actually older than Al Boum Photo and Kemboy and it's taken this long to get him to novice chases.

Granted they all improve at different times and rates but.......

It is peculiar when the age of a horse surprises you like that

On paper Nicky would appear to have better novice chasers than PFN

Age/maturity could be an advantage to Champ in his novice season but I'm not sure about going on.

I rather suspect that the Bartlett will turn out to have been a better race than the Ballymore but 10/1 is no price for either Champ or Minella Indo 5 months out.

Same frigging colours as Monalee. That horse has cost me in three straight Festivals. Due a turn round in fortunes.

The maturity angle is one I've considered with Champ in his novice chase season. If he's fit and healthy it'll be a big advantage I suspect. It'll be interesting whether they see him as an RSA or JLT horse come March. Like Archie, I'm not sure how he'll perform in open company though.

They did do it with Frankel but not to the exaggerated extent you suggest.

A lot of people wanted to see Frankel run at a mile and a half, just as they did with Brigadier Gerard nearly 50 years ago. The latter ultimately proved himself by winning the King George but it has to be said his very best form was at a mile and ten furlongs.

I don't mind seeing them attempt a trip that would challenge them but I'm not sure I see the point of persisting if they're clearly better at shorter. Altior's ideal trip is probably short of the three miles but until he tries it they'll never know.

Frankel would have got a mile and a half with a proper jockey on.

The maturity angle is one I've considered with Champ in his novice chase season. If he's fit and healthy it'll be a big advantage I suspect. It'll be interesting whether they see him as an RSA or JLT horse come March. Like Archie, I'm not sure how he'll perform in open company though.

RSA. Birchdale should be the mid distance horse

Back