The Oaks 2012

Harbinger

At the Start
Possibly lost a tad amidst the drama of the 1000 Guineas, but Kailani - the daughter of an Oaks (and Guineas) winner by one of the best middle-distance sires around - won the Pretty Polly by 7 lengths on just her second start yesterday. Not sure it was quite up to the level shown by the last Oaks winner to take in this race (Ouija Board in '04) but it surely puts her right into the mix. Even more so if this weather doesn't improve over the next few weeks.

What do they do with Maybe now? Irish 1000 and the Oaks or go down a different route?

Only 5 days between the races, so it might be one or the other for Maybe (although they did send Peeping Fawn to both off a similar gap a few years ago). Kissed looks their best Oaks prospect to me at this stage though.

Possibly lost a tad amidst the drama of the 1000 Guineas, but Kailani - the daughter of an Oaks (and Guineas) winner by one of the best middle-distance sires around - won the Pretty Polly by 7 lengths on just her second start yesterday. Not sure it was quite up to the level shown by the last Oaks winner to take in this race (Ouija Board in '04) but it surely puts her right into the mix. Even more so if this weather doesn't improve over the next few weeks.

Spot on. 10s a good price.

Spot on. 10s a good price.

Just seen it pointed out elsewhere that she's not actually entered in the Oaks yet. A bit of a WTF, but hopefully she'll be supplemented at the first available opportunity.

Very impressed with Kailani too.
She might need some cut in the ground to be at her best and I don't trust the yard to have an ante post bet on her. Ballydoyle fillies will always be at shorter odds than her, but if nothing else comes up in the next trials and the weather forcast is right for her on the week leading up to the race, I will be willing to have a decent bet on her for the Oaks.

Backed Kissed before she ran this year but whilst I still think she's the most likely winner her price is a bit skinny now and won't be having any more on until after the trials.

The Coronation at Ascot on the likely Gd-Fm ground is the one for Maybe.

Well I say that, what I really mean is she'd probably be a price I'd be more than happy to have a few quid on her to win.:)

Last edited:
I think her pedigree says she'll stay (by Galileo from the family of Dancing Rain and Dr Devious). Was she a bit too good over 7f at 2?

You answer your own question my friend...take that as an indication as to why you'll see her in the Coronation at Ascot and not in the Oaks.:)

Last edited:
You answer your own question my friend...take that as an indication as to why you'll see her in the Coronation at Ascot and not in the Oaks.:)

:)

It was Imagine in 2001. You have to go all the way back to Diminuendo in 1988 to find the next one.

Haha, I was wholeheartedly going to trawl through every Oaks winner I could remember as I knew I could answer your brainteaser but I have exams next week and this isn't doing me any good.:)

To be fair, there is a chance she'll go for the Oaks, but at this stage from what I've seen she has a much better chance staying at a mile for Royal Ascot. What would you rather take right now, 4s for the Coronation (using Betfair as a guide) or 6/1 for the Oaks?

Imo she just ran a bit flat in the Guineas: They've probably left a load to work on, but stepping her would be a dodjy proposition after her run in the Guineas. The form O Brien's in, all he has to do is get her really race fit and every group one over a mile could be hers imo.

Last edited:
Narrow Cheshire Oaks winner Good Morning Star doesn't have an Oaks entry (goes to the Ribblesdale).

I'd put her away to stud personally and wouldn't surprise me if there were a few operations in Ireland who might just offer to buy the mare to save ruining Betterbetterbetter's breeding potentials.

Big move for Maybe today. The Irish Guineas is out the window now.

Could be the right move, although Wading will stay as well as her and Kissed will outstay them both. Ballydoyle have a hand and a half to choose from and if it plays its cards right shouldn't lose.

Could be the right move, although Wading will stay as well as her and Kissed will outstay them both. Ballydoyle have a hand and a half to choose from and if it plays its cards right shouldn't lose.

The 4/1 is just hanging on today.

A solid looking indicator I'd agree.

Maybe is a lovely type. The Guineas was hers to lose and she needs compensation of some sort. I fear Kissed will be better suited to the mile and a half though.

Back