The Oaks 2012

He's a good jockey but for me (and I'm not one for normally bothering who's up top) Murtagh is the best around Epsom at the moment.

Speaking through my pocket-Buick had a rough early passage on the fugue BUT ffs how far back did he want to be.@@@@

the jockeys who sat off that pace rode bad races..i'll do the sectionals later..i doubt it was as slow as Dancing rains as that was unreal ..but it looked slow early

They crawled EC1,

It's an easy 1.25 - 1.75s slower first half mile than Dancing Rains pal.

20/1 AP voucher on Kissed and she gets pulled out an hour before the race.... Tad annoyed about that... Was in a meeting at work though so didn;t know and got back to see the purple silks flashing across the line on BBC news....

Double sickener...

Is that the worst-named horse ever to win a Classic? "Was". Was Mrs M sticking pins in a dictionary that year?

Selection Odds Stake(£) Bid type Placed Profit/loss(£)
Betterbetterbetter * 33.90 4.00 Back -4.00
Was 22.00 2.00 Back 01-Jun-12 15:51 42.00

I backed these two thinking they may make the running as pacemakers for Maybe and possibly one of them may nick it if Maybe's stamina gave out. Didn't quite work out that way but i'm not complaining. A couple of fun bets in what looked an impossible race to predict. My prediction WAS wrong but got a right result.

They crawled EC1,

It's an easy 1.25 - 1.75s slower first half mile than Dancing Rains pal.

Dancing Rain hit the path at the top of the hill in 76.6..

yesterday the leader hit it in 73.1..on near identical ground.

In comparative terms they went just a tad quicker in STS's Derby..the leader in his race ran to the path in 72.5...on fractionally slower ground

the ideal pace to run evenly is approx 69.5 to 70.5 on Good ground..which shows why the overall time was always going to be slow...they went about 3 seconds slower than ideal for the first 5f.

would just add..that when you view the overall splits for the race Was comes out as a pretty slow winner...for instance..her time after 5f is very similar to STS's...but STS ran the last 7f 2.2 seconds faster

Last edited:
Back