The People's Champion?

True, so it would go to a vote and it wouldn't get many votes but it's a contender for Trudij's champion. I think the whole idea is pointless because it will come back down to the Kautos and Sprinters and Istabraqs and Titus Oateses :)rolleyes:). The RP offices are probably just having a quiet time of it and people are hanging around at angles to their desks, sipping pishy coffee, trying hard not to scratch their areseholes in public and throwing ideas out there to see if the editors fall for any of them.

A horse that slipped my mind and was one of the most popular horses to ever run in Ireland was Danoli who had amassive fan base

I'm going to say it'll be something from the past 20 years. Probably Kauto Star despite the insistence that it's not about how highly rated they were.

Exactly - it doesn’t really matter because at the end of the day most people couldn’t give a hoot but they might recognise him. Achievements on course shouldn’t have any bearing on a people’s champion, but these days they will do.

Barely anyone young watching racing even registers arkle, certainly wouldn’t know danoli - or limestone lad ( who id argue was just as much a candidate)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly - it doesn’t really matter because at the end of the day most people couldn’t give a hoot but they might recognise him. Achievements on course shouldn’t have any bearing on a people’s champion, but these days they will do.

Barely anyone young watching racing even registers arkle, certainly wouldn’t know danoli - or limestone lad ( who id argue was just as much a candidate)

True, I was at Ponte last Friday night & the only thing that will have registered to most would have been the alcohol & the "tribute":)whistle:) band

Last edited:
True, I was at Ponte last Friday night & the only thing that will have registered to most would have been the alcohol & the "tribute":)whistle:) band

Oi, don't mock tribute bands. My wee band would be honoured to be called one! :lol::lol:

Oi, don't mock tribute bands. My wee band would be honoured to be called one! :lol::lol:

I've nothing against tribute bands, my brother-in-law + a couple of my friends are in tribute bands but I'm afraid you'd have mocked this one too. (Wish it had been Rumours of Fleetwood Mac)

Thinking with my partisan Native Cap on there can only be one choice; Missunited.
The mare has it all;
Romance Her dam Let's Clic Together was a mating of Hutch (Dont Forget Me) and Feeney ( Ardoon Stud ) husband and wife families.
Trainer Michael Winters is one of the few trainers that once a year punter and racegoer can identify with as easily as the informed, dyed in the wool racing fan.
Race career victories began at Listowel Harvest Festival, a local meeting for farmer and punter alike.
Galway Hurdle victory on one the best attended racing days of the year bestowed legendary status to mare and her connections.
Her game Ascot Gold Cup had us all in raptures ; 50/1 and two heads short of victory; what a pity Kevin Manning was required at Leopardstown that day.
Her final victory at Goodwood, holding on after breaking down gave her Mandarin like status.
Galway racegoers gave her the most unbelievable reception while Ray Mulvaney still has sleepless nights remembering the pay out; it cleaned him out.
He told of euro ew punters having fifties and sixties on the mare whose price drifted on course.
Few horses have grabbed the public imagination in this way at all the correct race meetings, flat and NH.
I Rest My Case.

I'm amazed sea pigeon hasn't got a mention. Surely one of the best ever dual purpose horses. Retired to just 15 miles from where I stay and regularly seen him in his field. The unforgettable tartan colours. His champion hurdle victory with John francome on board just poetry in motion.

I'm amazed sea pigeon hasn't got a mention. Surely one of the best ever dual purpose horses. Retired to just 15 miles from where I stay and regularly seen him in his field. The unforgettable tartan colours. His champion hurdle victory with John francome on board just poetry in motion.

Yes, one of my all-time favourites too.

Final eighty listed on Racing Post.
Alas Missunited did not make it.
Balthazar King
Lough Derg
Pendil
Ribot
Spanish Steps
the 100/1 outsiders.
Star Sports have priced up the "race " and voting on Racing Post twitter account from Monday four at a time to get a final five.

Showing my age.

Five weeks later My Swanee returned to the Knavesmire for the Rose of York Handicap — one of the hottest mile handicaps of the year. His prospects looked far from bright when he turned for home in ninth place, a good way behind the leaders. But the picture soon changed. Halfway up the straight My Swanee coasted up to the leaders, sailed into the lead in the last furlong, and in a tremendous race to the line he held on with great courage to win by a head from Fire King, who was receiving 20 lb, with such as Emerilo, Sovereign Set, Paddy Me and Prince de Galles further behind. Lester Piggott, who was associated with My Swanee in so many of his races, is reported to have said that he had never ridden a gamer, more determined horse in all his life. Certainly if there was one racing in 1969 we never saw it.

Also I can never forget Bula.

Final eighty listed on Racing Post.
Alas Missunited did not make it.
Balthazar King
Lough Derg
Pendil
Ribot
Spanish Steps
the 100/1 outsiders.
Star Sports have priced up the "race " and voting on Racing Post twitter account from Monday four at a time to get a final five.

Just seen the list

I'm amazed Further Flight isn't in there, i think Bob's Worth should be in there as well

Further Flight! I’ve just remembered that he was in a race one day and my tv stopped working. So I went up the village to the house of this old guy who I knew watched the racing. He had a retired greyhound that took up most of the sofa and a ferret that he used to walk on a lead so I felt quite at home there.I don’t think that Further Flight had a very long retirement, sadly.

No Captain Christy
No Tied Cottage.
No Limestone Lad or Solerina
No Brave Inca or Hardy Eustace
No Jupiter Island or Teleprompter
Istabraq the only JP horse.
Methinks the organisers should have veered away from the Frankel / Sea The Stars type superstars to include horses that ran over more than 3 seasons, run 25 plus races and have been around long enough to make a difference to race attendance.
Glad Danoli and The Tatling made the list; they are what the Peoples Champion racehorse should be about .
P. S. no Apache Gold either; a horse famed in song and story!
Rant over, for now.

No Captain Christy
No Tied Cottage.
No Limestone Lad or Solerina
No Brave Inca or Hardy Eustace
No Jupiter Island or Teleprompter
Istabraq the only JP horse.
Methinks the organisers should have veered away from the Frankel / Sea The Stars type superstars to include horses that ran over more than 3 seasons, run 25 plus races and have been around long enough to make a difference to race attendance.
Glad Danoli and The Tatling made the list; they are what the Peoples Champion racehorse should be about .
P. S. no Apache Gold either; a horse famed in song and story!
Rant over, for now.

How on earth did Sea The Stars get anywhere near this!?

Am fully on board with The Tatling.

Worth bearing in mind that - one esteemed and handsome correspondent apart - the Racing Post is an unbridled shitbox of a trade-paper, and barely worth using to clean the hoops of urchins. :thumbsup:

Glad I’m not the only person who appreciates a horse who ran 176 times over 13 years and while he only won 18 of those, made an impact on all sorts of people who appreciate the little guy.

I think it depends on the age and preference jump/flat.
DESERT ORCHID and RED RUM was high profile.
Lately it's got to be FRANKEL that win in the 2000 blew me away.

As long as it's not Kauto star I'm not bothered.

I think it depends on the age and preference jump/flat.
DESERT ORCHID and RED RUM was high profile.
Lately it's got to be FRANKEL that win in the 2000 blew me away.

As long as it's not Kauto star I'm not bothered.

Why the downer with Kauto?

Worth bearing in mind that - one esteemed and handsome correspondent apart - the Racing Post is an unbridled shitbox of a trade-paper, and barely worth using to clean the hoops of urchins. [emoji106]
Agreed. Tom Segal is a complete ride.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

The peoples Champion...... what does it mean? It means a horse that people who are not regular racegoers turn up in their droves to see.

Arkle was one for sure as was Red Rum....across the water we had Phar Lap Winx Black Caviar Sea Buscuit Secretariat and Zenyatta.

More recently Kauto Star drew crowds wearing scarfs with his colours Dessie drew fair crowds but others like Hurricane fly Istabraq Sprinter Sacre were imo more appreciated by true blue fans rather than the jonesies turning up.

If I were to chose the peoples champion being biased I'd say Sprinter Scare but as good as he was the jonesies whouldn't have a clue who he was.

Last edited:
Back